2.0 gas engine - Jeep Patriot Forums
4X2 Patriot Discussion 4X2 Patriot Discussion. Mods that are Street Orientated
(ie. Performance/Suspension, etc...)

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 34 (permalink) Old 11-16-2007, 05:44 PM Thread Starter
kvr

2.0 gas engine

Hi,
Does anyone have a patriot with the 2.0 gas engine? How does it do on local around town driving, do you regret getting the smaller engine?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 34 (permalink) Old 11-17-2007, 02:21 AM

I've got one . It's great. I drive at 50 miles a day on highway and in-town driving conditions. The power is everything I need and more and I get about 27 MPG!
post #3 of 34 (permalink) Old 11-18-2007, 11:40 AM

I have the 2.0 engine and I don't regret anything about it. I do normal daily driving about 40 miles on the highway and about 20 around town everyday and i get around 25 mpg, I'm sure I would get more if I did not have a heavy foot.

post #4 of 34 (permalink) Old 11-27-2007, 04:39 PM

I drove the 2.4 and the 2.0 and couldn't tell the difference. I went with the
2.0 and love it. I have gotten 28.5 and 29 on the interstate, 68 - 70 mph.
I suspect that it will be slightly better on the highway, 55 - 60. Around town/combo driving I am seeing 25 consistently. Start slow and slow, slowly!

'08 Patriot Steel Blue Metallic 2.0 Auto Stick
post #5 of 34 (permalink) Old 11-28-2007, 05:42 AM

i was originally planning on getting a 2.0 and probably would have been fine with it had i gotten one (test drove both the 2.0 and 2.4 a couple times).

however, figured i may be doing some towing so went with the 2.4 (haven't towed yet by the way, lol).

anyway, with my 2.4 and some basic MPG-conserving techniques, i'm getting a cumulative 27-28mpg after 7000 miles, so can't complain with the bigger engine.
post #6 of 34 (permalink) Old 11-29-2007, 11:08 PM

Send a message via MSN to suzq044
we just took delivery tonight.. the speed sneaks up on you, you're @ 70 before you even realise it. lol

I was here in 2007 and I'm back in 2013..
post #7 of 34 (permalink) Old 11-30-2007, 09:34 AM

I drove my sister's 07 Caliber with 2.0 and CVT on Thanksgiving. I did not think it was slow accelerating from a stop. I thought it got up and went very well.
post #8 of 34 (permalink) Old 11-30-2007, 10:47 AM

..yep, lost a lil traction this morning, cause of the rain tho [from a stop, pulling out of a business park driveway]

post #9 of 34 (permalink) Old 02-12-2008, 12:40 PM

Send a message via Yahoo to stacitinkle
I bought my patriot back in may of '07. I honestly couldn't tell the difference between the 2.0 and the 2.4. The transmission threw me off a bit, but I like it.
post #10 of 34 (permalink) Old 02-15-2008, 06:19 PM

are you guys serious? we're averaging 20-22 mpg.. combination driving.

post #11 of 34 (permalink) Old 03-04-2008, 10:03 PM

Speaking from experience, I think you probably won't see/feel much of a difference between the 2.0 and 2.4 while they are both new. If you plan on keeping the vehicle I believe you will be happier with the 2.4 at the 100,000 mile mark and beyond (as they get tired) and if you have it coupled with the 5-spd manual you are really going to be pleased with your transmission choice.

Last edited by MINICooperS; 03-04-2008 at 10:05 PM.
post #12 of 34 (permalink) Old 03-13-2008, 12:37 AM

Happy with 2.0L engine

I don't drive slow on the highway and I still muster up around 25-27mpg. I have the CVT as well. If you want to get good MPG don't run the autostick. Watch the RPM's if you do have the autostick. When running about 70 mph, go from auto to 6th gear in autostick and you'll jump up about 300-350 rpm, YIKES! Didn't realize thats how you kick off overdrive.

Generally pleased with the 2.0L. I got it considering the cost of gas. Just went up to 3.39 a gallon here 60 miles south of Chicago.

Later.
post #13 of 34 (permalink) Old 05-17-2008, 02:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MINICooperS View Post
Speaking from experience, I think you probably won't see/feel much of a difference between the 2.0 and 2.4 while they are both new. If you plan on keeping the vehicle I believe you will be happier with the 2.4 at the 100,000 mile mark and beyond (as they get tired) and if you have it coupled with the 5-spd manual you are really going to be pleased with your transmission choice.
Interesting observation since there is nobody who has 100,000 miles on one yet Also, with my LIFETIME WARRANTY, i don't have to worry about it getting "tired" ! If it doesn't perform like new then the boys at the Jeep garage will have a job to do. The 2.0 has more than enough power for anyone and the CVT is the smoothest tranny I have ever driven ! The 5 -speed is ok i guess if you live in the boonies, but not for city driving. I am so sick of slapping gears after my last 5 speed that i would not accept one if the car was free !!! Also don't forget....the clutch is "not" covered on the 5 speed !
post #14 of 34 (permalink) Old 05-18-2008, 01:45 PM

I test drove a 2.0 for a day. It seemed to rev an awful lot to get up to highway speed and from stop lights. I discovered after driving it for a bit that I could keep the reving down by accelerating slowing and not pressing to firmly on the accelerator. I think that little engine has a big fuel efficiency potential if treated gently. I just could not get used to the CVT auto paired with it. I opted for the manual tranny to get a more traditional feel, which meant switching to the 2.4. If you don't mind the auto, the 2.0 would be a great choice.

Added bonus - If you live in Canada the 2.0 is the only automatic version of the Patriot that qualifies for the $1000 eco rebate.
post #15 of 34 (permalink) Old 05-20-2008, 04:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mortaric View Post
I test drove a 2.0 for a day. It seemed to rev an awful lot to get up to highway speed and from stop lights. I discovered after driving it for a bit that I could keep the reving down by accelerating slowing and not pressing to firmly on the accelerator. I think that little engine has a big fuel efficiency potential if treated gently. I just could not get used to the CVT auto paired with it. I opted for the manual tranny to get a more traditional feel, which meant switching to the 2.4. If you don't mind the auto, the 2.0 would be a great choice.

Added bonus - If you live in Canada the 2.0 is the only automatic version of the Patriot that qualifies for the $1000 eco rebate.
Took me a couple days to realize how to drive it correctly. You have to feather the pedal...not stomp it, and you will be amazed at how effortless and fast you are at 70 mph and don't realize it. That's because the way the trans is designed. You don't feel the "SHIFT" sensation...so most people keep pouring on the gas in search of the "shift" when there is actually no gears to shift. It does have a planetary gear but is used for reverse. The expected life of the CVT is 150,000 miles and should be covered under the lifetime powertrain...which is good as they are not rebuildable ! $1500 + Labor for a new one. But at least I'm not waiting to buy a clutch.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jeep Patriot Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode