2.0 gas engine - Page 3 - Jeep Patriot Forums
4X2 Patriot Discussion 4X2 Patriot Discussion. Mods that are Street Orientated
(ie. Performance/Suspension, etc...)

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #31 of 34 (permalink) Old 10-04-2016, 10:49 PM

Garage
TP, I see you're back to being our forum archeologist! This thread's almost as old as Egypt!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 34 (permalink) Old 10-04-2016, 10:58 PM

Garage
And on the topic, Wifey & I each have a Patriot. Both are FWD which gives us slightly better fuel economy than the various 4wd configurations.
Hers is 2.0 5-spd (another advantage). She gets well into the low 30s mpg; rarely below 30 mpg.
Mine is a 2.4 CVT (puts the slush in slushbox). Pretty consistent high 20s mpg. I can get 30+ if I drive it easy on a long trip; never lower than 26 mpg even with a load.

The 2.4 definitely has more power. The 2.0 5-spd really needs all 5 gears. I'd like to start in 2nd, but it doesn't like it that way. In the mountains I spend a lot of time downshifting with the 2.0. The 2.4 CVT just purrs and nudges up a few RPMs.

Basically, the 2.4 is 20% larger, puts out 20% more power and the 2.0 gets 20% better fuel economy. I regret neither purchase.
I'd be curious to know how a FWD with the 2.4 and 5-spd runs. I bet that would be pretty snappy.
post #33 of 34 (permalink) Old 02-16-2017, 03:57 PM

I have a 2012, basic Sport, no a/c, 2.0, 5 speed manual. I've been from Maine to Florida three times, and from Maine to Minnesota four times. I live on the coast, so I seldom miss not having a/c, except when I'm crossing OH/IN/IL or Ontario in August and it's 90 degrees and humid. I get about 31 mpg on the highway in the summer, but it drops off to about 28-29 in the winter. At 106,500 miles it runs as well as the day I bought it. It had occasional groaning rear brakes for 100,000 miles until I had the shoes and rotors replaced, and that ended the groaning. I was losing a small amount of coolant while it was still under warranty, but the local dealer couldn't locate the problem. I went to a dealer in Minn when it was out of warranty and they replaced the water pump, which fixed the problem. I've owned Volvos, Hondas, Chevies, VW's, and Fords in my 50 years of owning and driving cars (35 years as an over-the-road, 40,000 miles-per-year salesman) and I have to say this little gem, which was $15,400 out the door brand new in 2012, is about the most dependable of all of them. The seats are more comfortable than my '98 Volvo or '04 Accord ever were, and it's still fun to drive. What I don't understand is why Edmunds and Consumer Reports rates the Patriot so low.

post #34 of 34 (permalink) Old 02-17-2017, 01:58 PM

Send a message via AIM to Josephh Send a message via MSN to Josephh
For me, there is no regret on buying a 2.0 engine. My commute is about 10 miles highway a day, so I guess it's fairly enough for me, and good for town road driving too.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jeep Patriot Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode