Snow tires in Maryland on FWD Pat - Jeep Patriot Forums
4X2 Patriot Discussion 4X2 Patriot Discussion. Mods that are Street Orientated
(ie. Performance/Suspension, etc...)

5Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 21 (permalink) Old 09-09-2016, 02:15 AM Thread Starter

Question Snow tires in Maryland on FWD Pat

I currently live outside Baltimore Maryland area and just bought a 2016 FWD Pat. With the winters and heavy snow being on and off between November and February, is it worth to spend the money on an extra set of snow tires? Any Marylanders or anyone have a experience or an opinion about this?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 (permalink) Old 09-09-2016, 09:11 AM

Garage
I never lived there, but my territory once included the DC area -- northern VA and MD's PG county -- so I traveled there frequently. As I recall, there isn't much snow, but what there is is heavy and mushy. That's where a real snow tire can be helpful. That area is quite flat and you probably don't have to worry about climbing hills so FWD is plenty adequate. I'm no fan of all-season tires, but that might be all you need. Its a judgement call on your part. Now if you're planning on taking the family on a holiday trip to the in-laws in central PA and you get a white Christmas, after the first mountain you'll be thinking about those snow tires. Or maybe you like to ski . . . It all depends on where you're going.

As for the cost of snow tires, the only real cost is mounting and dismounting the tires spring and fall. The cost of the tires themselves is offset by the fact that your summer tires are sitting unused in your garage while your snow tires are on, so your snow tires are extending the life of your regular tires by the same amount of time they're on. Around here mounting tires is about $20 per tire, so $80 twice a year for a total of $160. If you're planning on keeping your Patriot for many years it might be worth the investment to get a spare set of rims and only mount them once, presuming you can change them over yourself.
post #3 of 21 (permalink) Old 09-09-2016, 09:47 AM

Send a message via AIM to Terasec Send a message via Yahoo to Terasec
its a personal choice
but personally think unless you live in the hills that tend to get more snow, most of the area really doesnt get enough snow to justify dedicated snow tires
if you can see blacktop through the tracks in the snow most all season tires will work just fine,
and being FWD, pat is quite capable on its own regardless of tires
i currently have some eco ultra efficient tires on my pat,
rated all season, and handles PA and NY storms just fine on the road,
just some problems when i try to plow through +1 foot of unplowed roads/driveway

post #4 of 21 (permalink) Old 09-09-2016, 09:59 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Terasec View Post
its a personal choice
but personally think unless you live in the hills that tend to get more snow, most of the area really doesnt get enough snow to justify dedicated snow tires
if you can see blacktop through the tracks in the snow most all season tires will work just fine, A good indicator
and being FWD, pat is quite capable on its own regardless of tires w. FWD you want all the traction you can get
i currently have some eco ultra efficient tires on my pat,
rated all season, and handles PA and NY storms just fine on the road,
just some problems when i try to plow through +1 foot of unplowed roads/driveway
How are those eco tires in snow? I'm of the opinion (but without experience) that LRR tires wouldn't have much grip in rain or snow or esp ice.
post #5 of 21 (permalink) Old 09-09-2016, 11:42 PM
Use the SEARCH feature

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmhiraldo View Post
I currently live outside Baltimore Maryland area and just bought a 2016 FWD Pat. With the winters and heavy snow being on and off between November and February, is it worth to spend the money on an extra set of snow tires? Any Marylanders or anyone have a experience or an opinion about this?
Is this your first season in the area? If not, go with your gut.

Even living in Wisconsin my whole life, I drove for years and never saw a need for snow tires. A few years ago I finally bought a set of Altimax Artic's for the wife's car, and now I'm a true-believer in the difference a set of winter tires make. So much so, that the Riot has its own dedicated set also.

So yeah, if you feel you'll see measurable snow enough times to put them to use, go for it.

Truckin' the bread all over your @$$!
post #6 of 21 (permalink) Old 09-09-2016, 11:55 PM

Send a message via AIM to Terasec Send a message via Yahoo to Terasec
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ignatz View Post
How are those eco tires in snow? I'm of the opinion (but without experience) that LRR tires wouldn't have much grip in rain or snow or esp ice.
In the rain they are as good as any other tire i have had
In the snow they are ok, not great compared to tires with aggressive treads but worked fine in limited snow i experienced but i havent had the chance to try them in major snow yet just late season snow of few inches
Biggest improvement is in mpgs
With aggressive tires i would get low fuel indicator at 180-200 miles
Now regularly go +240 miles before getting low fuel light
post #7 of 21 (permalink) Old 09-10-2016, 05:24 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Terasec View Post
In the rain they are as good as any other tire i have had
In the snow they are ok, not great compared to tires with aggressive treads but worked fine in limited snow i experienced but i havent had the chance to try them in major snow yet just late season snow of few inches
Biggest improvement is in mpgs
With aggressive tires i would get low fuel indicator at 180-200 miles
Now regularly go +240 miles before getting low fuel light
Wow! That's a 20% improvement in mpg -- rather fantastic. However, with FWD I regularly get to 300-315 before the low fuel light comes on. That works out to a tad under 30mpg. Could I actually get 36mg with eco tires?

It will be a while before I get there. I've got a set of RT43s to get through first and frankly, I like them. Like yours, they haven't seen significant snow -- only the spring and fall stufff-- and for winter I will run my dedicated snow tires (General Altimax Arctics).
post #8 of 21 (permalink) Old 09-18-2016, 09:54 PM

In a foot of snow, I don't think you're going anywhere with or without snow tires.
post #9 of 21 (permalink) Old 09-18-2016, 11:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by atikovi View Post
In a foot of snow, I don't think you're going anywhere with or without snow tires.
Lol, once you get a little further north (I'm only about 2 hours north of DC) you'll find a foot of snow is far from enough to shut everything down (though it will still close most schools, the roads and businesses are generally open). After the blizzard last year that dumped over 3-ft of snow I was out the next day when many of the roads were only partially cleared and still had 6+" of snow on them and deeper drifts. I drove my Patriot (4X4) with the OE tires (Firestone Affinity) and never got stuck myself, though I did get blocked by several other drivers I had to help dig/push out (all FWD cars, except one idiot in an AWD Audi RS4 with summer tires). I've had my XJ with Aggressive AT tires up unplowed (and unpaved) mountain roads with well over a foot of snow and steep grades, I could even see the imprints from my axles in the snow.

As for the OP's original question you probably don't "need" snow tires in MD (at least in the Baltimore area, the mountainous areas in western MD may be a different story) with the exception of the once in 15-20 year blizzards, but they definitely are nice to have (note: "winter tires" aren't just for snow, the softer compound improves traction in cold weather as well). While the OE AS tires on my Patriot may have "gotten the job done" (though I don't know if I would have been ok if I only had FWD), it definitely would have been nice to have "real" snow tires or even A/Ts.

Last edited by dmill89; 09-18-2016 at 11:41 PM.
post #10 of 21 (permalink) Old 09-19-2016, 07:23 PM
Use the SEARCH feature

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmill89 View Post
Lol, once you get a little further north (I'm only about 2 hours north of DC) you'll find a foot of snow is far from enough to shut everything down (though it will still close most schools, the roads and businesses are generally open). .
Haha, aint that the truth. Here in Wisconsin, "Snow days" are only something thats in the movies. Drop 'er in low and bust on through.

Truckin' the bread all over your @$$!
post #11 of 21 (permalink) Old 09-19-2016, 10:24 PM

Garage
Quote:
Lol, once you get a little further north (I'm only about 2 hours north of DC) you'll find a foot of snow is far from enough to shut everything down (though it will still close most schools,
Around here they'll close school if its partly cloudy, so the kids borrow Mom's car and go skiing! When I was a kid we'd wait by the radio hoping for a cancellation and we wouldn't get it. More than once our bus got stuck on the way to school (and I don't mean we slid off the road, we just couldn't get through). Today there is no way they'd let the busses out in those conditions.
Quote:
the roads and businesses are generally open). After the blizzard last year that dumped over 3-ft of snow I was out the next day when many of the roads were only partially cleared and still had 6+" of snow on them and deeper drifts. I drove my Patriot (4X4) with the OE tires (Firestone Affinity) and never got stuck myself, though I did get blocked by several other drivers I had to help dig/push out (all FWD cars, except one idiot in an AWD Audi RS4 with summer tires).
Dedicated snow tires make a big difference. The silliest thing I see is people who think more power is the solution and go fishtailing all over the place and endangering the rest of us.
Quote:
I've had my XJ with Aggressive AT tires up unplowed (and unpaved) mountain roads with well over a foot of snow and steep grades, I could even see the imprints from my axles in the snow.

As for the OP's original question you probably don't "need" snow tires in MD (at least in the Baltimore area, the mountainous areas in western MD may be a different story) with the exception of the once in 15-20 year blizzards, but they definitely are nice to have (note: "winter tires" aren't just for snow, the softer compound improves traction in cold weather as well). While the OE AS tires on my Patriot may have "gotten the job done" (though I don't know if I would have been ok if I only had FWD),
I am a FWD fan, but FWD does have its limits. Good tires make a huge difference, but its not as good as 4wd. The big problem comes when climbing a hill with a sharp curve in deep snow. With FWD the back tires are dragging through the snow the fronts have just pushed into their path, and the rears can't help as they would with AWD or 4wd.
Quote:
it definitely would have been nice to have "real" snow tires or even A/Ts.
When it comes to going straight ahead, we can get away with all-season tires on our Wrangler, but when it comes to stopping and cornering its a monster. Snow tires are a must.

All things considered, so much depends on the type of snow one is driving in. A foot of light powder is easy, even climbing a hill; if its mushy, half that can be a problem, even with AWD. I'm thinking it was about 8" of mush that stopped my Bravada (with all-season tires) in my driveway. On another occasion in the same driveway the same Bravada got through 17". As for the roads, in our area the highway trucks are out there every few inches, except at night, but when I leave for work in the morning (3:30) I'm just about the only car on the road so I can build momentum on the downgrades and scamper up the hills easy enough.
jonkat44 likes this.
post #12 of 21 (permalink) Old 01-18-2017, 03:32 AM

Im from Harford co (Edgewood) and while edgewood was by the water and didnt get as much snow as other area, we still got a lot of snow,

Baltimore gets a lot of snow, hence the blizzards.

2012 2.0 patriot sport fwd

subscribe to my youtube channelhttp://www.youtube.com/channel/UC7udYNC4RSp268vBfCU2jSQ

like my page, facebook https://www.facebook.com/pages/John-Smeton-Fitness/575323199169735?ref=hl

follow my twitter https://twitter.com/SmetonFitness

If I can do anything for you, contact me!
post #13 of 21 (permalink) Old 01-18-2017, 10:20 AM

If the temp is going to be below around 40 degrees or lower regularly (for the high), get snow tires. whether there is snow or not, the temperature hardens normal all season tires's rubber. This reduces traction, even on dry pavement. Go with a "winter tire" (they don't really call them snow tires, because they are meant for all winter conditions). for the winter seasons. the rubber stays softer at lower temps, and keeps you safer.
dixiedawg and John Smeton like this.

2012 FDII Patriot - Sold
1989 Cherokee Pioneer - 3.5" MC lift
http://aicproductionblog.com/support-this-page/
http://www.youtube.com/c/aicoffroadvideo
post #14 of 21 (permalink) Old 01-18-2017, 11:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aroundincircles View Post
If the temp is going to be below around 40 degrees or lower regularly (for the high), get snow tires. whether there is snow or not, the temperature hardens normal all season tires's rubber.
As soon as you drive a few miles the tires warm up. Why do you think all the tire manufacturers say to check tire pressure before the the car is driven? Maybe this makes sense at 20 below, but I can't imagine anybody buying snow tires unless they expect to drive through much snow. You don't own a tire store do ya?
John Smeton likes this.
post #15 of 21 (permalink) Old 01-18-2017, 11:12 AM

They warm up a few degrees, not enough to make a difference, and if its below 40 degrees, they cannot warm up. winter tires are made with a softer compound that does not need to be warmed up. and no, I do not own a tire shop, but I understand the concept of using the right tool for the job. and making sure I have the correct tires for the conditions I'm driving is cheap insurance.

Hey its your safety. If you want to drive on rock hard tires all winter, go for it. I live in AZ, I don't have to mess around with snow tires. But when I did live somewhere where it was cold, I did put winter tires on my car, because my car carries the most important thing to me around in it. ME! so why would I **** around with something as simple as just putting winter tires on my car in the, I don't know, winter?
John Smeton likes this.

2012 FDII Patriot - Sold
1989 Cherokee Pioneer - 3.5" MC lift
http://aicproductionblog.com/support-this-page/
http://www.youtube.com/c/aicoffroadvideo
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jeep Patriot Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode