All Season Tires 215/ 65 r17 - Jeep Patriot Forums
4X2 Patriot Discussion 4X2 Patriot Discussion. Mods that are Street Orientated
(ie. Performance/Suspension, etc...)

1Likes
  • 1 Post By Ignatz

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-06-2016, 09:18 AM Thread Starter

All Season Tires 215/ 65 r17

Hello everyone, I know this topic has been covered several times but I really cannot find the information I want. I have a 2009 Patriot FWD with 215/65 r17 tires on it. this is the stock size according to the label on the Drivers Side door. I am looking for some opinions on a good all season tire. I live in Central New York so I would take a little snow traction over performance. I know a true winter tire would be superior but I have never felt the need to buy them because I do not need to travel very far to work. If it is snowing out that bad, I probably wont go over 30 anyway cause I always seem to get stuck behind some old lady.

Anyways, I currently have Cooper CS4's on the Jeep and I am not impressed. They seem to lose their grip in wet conditions and they make my front end bop and weave on any cement roads. They recently paved part of a highway with concrete and the little grooves make it scary to go 65 down.

Also, Tire rack is showing a 215/60 r17 as stock too. apparently this size is a hair shorter. was considering the geolanders in that size but don't really want the jeep to sit lower than it is or mess with the speedometer.

Any recommendations would be appreciated, Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-06-2016, 10:39 AM

You can go to a 225/65r17 with no issues at all. I didn't look at individual tires, but there are 72 options in that size vs just 33 in the 215/65r17 size.

There are also actual A/T tires in that size, like the BFG's T/A KO2's, and two Yokohama Geolander tires, and 37 other light truck tires in that size.

2012 FDII Patriot - Sold
1989 Cherokee Pioneer - 3.5" MC lift
http://aicproductionblog.com/support-this-page/
http://www.youtube.com/c/aicoffroadvideo
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-06-2016, 11:49 AM Thread Starter

I was not aware that 225 would fit. Are you pretty sure about this? Being 2 wheel it sits a little lower than 4 wheel. What will this do as far as the speedometer is concerned? Negligible difference?

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-06-2016, 12:02 PM Thread Starter

Also, any idea what fuel economy would do with a switch like that? I see that 225 tires are about a 1/2" taller and under a 1/2" wider
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-10-2016, 11:25 PM

I had 225 tires on my 07 and I'll put them on my 14 when the tires are ready to be replaced.mit had little effect on my fuel economy.

David Vianu
Rancho Cucamonga, Ca.
14 Patriot Latitude Fwd 2GB package
Traded in 07 patriot sport cvt fwd 208, 314 miles owned since new.
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-12-2016, 09:43 PM Thread Starter

So I went to camp last weekend and couldnt make it up the driveway with the cooper cs4 tires on. The loose pine needles filled every slot in the damn things! Prob didnt help i was pulling the trailer with the dirt bike in it. In any case I went to a local tire dealer and ended up purchasing some cooper discoverer srx all season tires. They seemed like the most aggressive tire sort of geolanders in a 225 size. I am ,supposed to get them mounted in a couple days. I was gonna get the geolanders which were more expensive but the salesman assured me the coopers were going to be better in snow. They are a newer tire from cooper and have a lot of thkught put into the tread, like a ton of siping. There are youtube videos of them and everyone seems to say they outperform the goodyear sr-a in every category.
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-12-2016, 10:03 PM

Airing down your tires when off road will improve traction with any tire. It allows for more tread to be touching the ground. A dire deflator and air compressor is not a huge investment:

http://amzn.to/29vTWsU

http://amzn.to/29HzwzI

2012 FDII Patriot - Sold
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-14-2016, 10:44 AM Thread Starter

I have a ryobi portable air inflator. The thought crossed my mind but I don't feel the need to deflate for a 40 foot incline up a driveway. I did make it up but I had to unload my dual sport off the trailer and floor it. If I was gonna drive down the sandy roads at camp i would definitely deflate the tires some. But then again, that is the whole point of having the dual sport motorcycle. I would probably only go 15 to 20 down some of these roads in the jeep. I can go 35 to 40 on the dirt bike comfortably. In any case the tires were just installed. Gotta go pick the jeep up. I will update and let everyone know what I think of these new tires and how well they fit.
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-19-2016, 09:46 PM Thread Starter

So here is a picture of before and after. I am not experiencing any rubbing and so far am very happy. They definetly make the jeep look better. Can't wait to see if I can make it up the driveway at camp with the trailer! I would mention I can't wait to see how they are in snow but that I can wait for!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20160714_073024_1468978922447.jpg
Views:	145
Size:	36.8 KB
ID:	67153   Click image for larger version

Name:	20160714_160512_1468979126805.jpg
Views:	156
Size:	36.9 KB
ID:	67169  
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-19-2016, 10:59 PM

New tires really changes a vehicle, don't they?

2012 FDII Patriot - Sold
post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-07-2016, 02:56 PM Thread Starter

So I finally made it up to camp to try these Cooper tires out. Holy smokes did they make a difference. I had my trailer loaded to the top with camping stuff, had both kids the wife and dog in the jeep and I thought no way is this gonna make it up the driveway, even with new tires. Well, I was dead wrong, the jeep climed up the driveway with no slipping whatsoever! I was shocked, I had easily a thousand pounds more in cargo and people in it then last time. I also drove down some pretty nasty sand roads and never had the traction control kick on. I am extremely happy with these tires and now have no regrets buying a 4 x 2 model.
post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-07-2016, 09:05 PM

Garage
Hey, another 4x2 fan! Welcome aboard. I'm kinda glad I didn't blow the cash on 4wd. My Patriot is a scrapper in the snow, and I owe it partly to the Patriot and partly to a good set of snow tires. Tires make a difference! Wish more folks understood that. There's a lot of 4x4's being sold to people that don't need them.

I've had my Patriot in a couple situations (both mud and snow situations) that gave me sweaty armpits, but the little guy always gets me through. We got another 4x2 Patriot for Wifey and we do keep a Wrangler around if the snow gets really outrageous, but six or seven inches is not a problem. This last winter 4x2 was totally adequate.
jonkat44 likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jeep Patriot Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode