Engine Oil Cooler - Page 2 - Jeep Patriot Forums
4X2 Patriot Discussion 4X2 Patriot Discussion. Mods that are Street Orientated
(ie. Performance/Suspension, etc...)

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #16 of 28 (permalink) Old 03-01-2011, 07:06 PM

I have a 2010 Patriot with 2.4L CVT (auto) North I purchased the oil cooler kit 82210700. Went to install it, and its not correct. My upper rad hose goes straight from the Rad to the block (similar to the manual transmission). I called Jeep and confirmed with them and they says its the correct kit, any one else had problems??
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 28 (permalink) Old 03-16-2011, 10:54 PM

I've ordered the same kit for my automatic (2008), but I'm waiting for my next oil change to tackle it (since I have to change the oil anyway). But, if you look at the instruction sheet, you shouldn't have to replace the upper radiator hose on the automatic; only the lower one (and the smaller diameter one that goes from the oil cooler back to the transmission cooler...I think). Anyway, from the way I read things, the manual package includes the hose that involves replacing the actual radiator cap section of things on top of the radiator; you shouldn't have to replace that hose in the automatic setup.

You get two hoses no matter which one you get, but from what I can tell the manual one has two hoses of the same diameter, each of which have a "T" built in that connects to a smaller diameter one. The automatic version has one larger diameter with a "T", and then a separate smaller diameter one with no "T".

Clear as mud?

'08 Khaki Patriot Sport 4x2 CVT "E" Pkg w/Security & Convenience Group, Tire/Wheel Group
post #18 of 28 (permalink) Old 07-28-2015, 01:18 AM

I'm sorry to resurrect an old thread, but I've been reading through a few threads about the oil cooler install and it look fairly straight forward. I have 78k miles on my patriot and I'm planning on doing a coolant flush in the next 5k miles. I figure I'll be draining anyway, I might as well add this oil cooler, my question is: I do not tow but I have a hitch so I technically could. I do like to go off roading every so often. Would I benefit from the oil cooler with just everyday driving? Or is it a waste of money? I have the 4x4 fd1, 2.4L.

Let me know what you think! Thanks!

post #19 of 28 (permalink) Old 07-28-2015, 11:58 AM

I don't understand the correlation between flushing the coolant system and adding an oil cooler...?

Jack Allwardt, Bonney Lake (Tehaleh area), WA; "recovering Californian"; (REPEAT Patriot Owner...'08 Limited and a '16 High Altitude), Retired engineer, US Army veteran, Member: American Legion, Veterans of Foreign Wars, Central Valley Vietnam Veterans, Enumclaw (WA) Lions Club. Former vintage military jeep owner, instrument rated commercial pilot, ag pilot, vintage aircraft restorer and test pilot.

Last edited by jack.allwardt; 07-28-2015 at 02:48 PM.
post #20 of 28 (permalink) Old 07-28-2015, 12:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jack.allwardt View Post
I don't understand the correlation between flushing to coolant system and adding an oil cooler...?

From what I understand, when you add the oil cooler, you have to drain the coolant system to replace the coolant hoses. I figure since I'm draining the system anyway I might as well add the oil cooler while its drained. Or is the oil cooler something that shouldn't be bothered with?
post #21 of 28 (permalink) Old 07-28-2015, 02:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 98rangerdave View Post
From what I understand, when you add the oil cooler, you have to drain the coolant system to replace the coolant hoses. I figure since I'm draining the system anyway I might as well add the oil cooler while its drained. Or is the oil cooler something that shouldn't be bothered with?
I got the oil cooler just for offroading, a cooler engine is a happier engine. Downside is that all the extra heat goes into the radiator which is also double purpose to cool the CVT, Thinking about getting an aftermarket CVT cooler as well. I've had the temp light a couple times and the dealer said they'd install one if I kept getting the light.
post #22 of 28 (permalink) Old 07-29-2015, 11:34 AM

Send a message via Yahoo to nysfro585
Does anyone think that another cooler can be added. Even if it only held two quarts more.
post #23 of 28 (permalink) Old 07-29-2015, 09:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nysfro585 View Post
Does anyone think that another cooler can be added. Even if it only held two quarts more.
For the CVT yes. Any old aftermarket tranny cooler should fit. It just gets put in series with the tranny coolant line. I think a bigger radiator might be a good thing for offroading. Also hood louvers.
post #24 of 28 (permalink) Old 07-30-2015, 08:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 98rangerdave View Post
I just added one over the last weekend. Haven't had any noticeable difference, but I haven't put the jeep under a load since the install. I think it is worth it for piece of mind. If you are going to have the coolant drained anyway, the installation is a breeze. worst part for me was tracking down a M12 hex key to use.
post #25 of 28 (permalink) Old 08-01-2015, 03:59 PM
Mopar or no car!!!

Yeah, that M12 Hex Key is a bit difficult to locate. The only ones I found at first, weren't long enough.. A specialty hardware store had it though!

2013 Jeep Patriot Limited, 2WD, CVT, 2.4L, uConnect230 --- K&N filter, Curt Class III Hitch w/ Spare Bumper, Mopar Oil Cooler, Cooper AT3 225/70/16, Boston Acoustics 6x9", JBL Tweeters, GTMat, Kicker Hideaway 8", Viper 2-way Alarm, Fiamm FWY Blaster Horn, Cobra DX19IV CB Radio, 20% Front Tint, 5% Rear Tint, Rugged Ridge mats, Splash Guards, Philips Xtreme Headlights, DD XML2 Fog Lights 5000k, Optima Red Top, Front Tow Hooks, JEEPPATRIOT.COM sticker
post #26 of 28 (permalink) Old 08-02-2015, 10:25 PM

I think I'm gonna have to get one of these after reading all of the input from everyone.
post #27 of 28 (permalink) Old 08-13-2015, 10:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bdooley3 View Post
I think I'm gonna have to get one of these after reading all of the input from everyone.

I'm with you on that brotha! I just want to get one for the piece of mind.
post #28 of 28 (permalink) Old 06-12-2017, 12:35 PM

It is very easy to install and I noticed in everyday driving my temperature gauge does not fluctuate anymore due to traffic, hot weather, or idling. Also, the car warms up much faster which should be great in the winter time.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jeep Patriot Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode