how reliable is your patriot, and do you recomend one - Jeep Patriot Forums
Meet & Greets / Trail Runs Set up meets/trail runs or announce events.
Meet fellow members and get to know the face behind the keyboard.
Also see our Regional Forums for local get-togethers!

13Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 46 (permalink) Old 06-02-2016, 08:53 AM Thread Starter

how reliable is your patriot, and do you recomend one

Hi, I'm looking into getting a new vehicle soon. My first choice so far is a patriot, I'm starting to love them more and more. I still need to test drive one, but I kinda want a 4x4 and jeeps seem like the affordable 4x4s, plus they still have plety of room to haul stuff around. I'm wondering how Reliable they are, from all your experiences andif you recomend patriots. How many miles do you have and what problems or just regular services did you need so far. I use to hear the older jeeps weren't that reliable. Are the new ones any better. I'm looking to get maybe a 2015 or 2016. Also is there different ride heights from ground between the different classes? (Sport, sport se, latitude, etc.) What's the Maine difereence you need, or packages you need to want to go a little off roading, or to start.? Thank you for your time.

Last edited by calicojack; 06-02-2016 at 08:54 AM. Reason: spelling
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 46 (permalink) Old 06-02-2016, 09:38 AM

I would suggest that you did what I did. I bought a 1.5 year old certified pre-owned Patriot. Mine is a 2014, but you could find a 2015 easily as well. I had 1.5 years and 18,000 left on the bumper to bumper warranty, and 5.5 years and 82,000 miles left on the powertrain warranty at time of purchase. (A new 2016 only comes with 5 years and 60k powertrain warranty.) I have a 5 year loan on it, so it should be paid off before it's out of powertrain warranty. Plus, I saved quite a bit over new. Mine was $17,500 (latitude 6AT 4x4) and then I paid $900 to have them factory install the tow package, so I would have any issues if I had a trans issue while pulling a trailer. (Just wanted the paper trail.) They $900 was rolled into the loan.

Just a thought.
post #3 of 46 (permalink) Old 06-02-2016, 09:55 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by CraveSingletrack View Post
I would suggest that you did what I did. I bought a 1.5 year old certified pre-owned Patriot. Mine is a 2014, but you could find a 2015 easily as well. I had 1.5 years and 18,000 left on the bumper to bumper warranty, and 5.5 years and 82,000 miles left on the powertrain warranty at time of purchase. (A new 2016 only comes with 5 years and 60k powertrain warranty.) I have a 5 year loan on it, so it should be paid off before it's out of powertrain warranty. Plus, I saved quite a bit over new. Mine was $17,500 (latitude 6AT 4x4) and then I paid $900 to have them factory install the tow package, so I would have any issues if I had a trans issue while pulling a trailer. (Just wanted the paper trail.) They $900 was rolled into the loan.

Just a thought.
cool thanks, yeah still deciding new or used, only reason why new is an option is its pretty affordable for a 4x4 compared to trucks so it might be doable. Do you ever go on trails or off-road?
also if you'd know, but what's the difference and/or what is better between the 6 speed auto and the CVT. I've been reading for the older years he cvt wasn't that great.

post #4 of 46 (permalink) Old 06-02-2016, 09:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by calicojack View Post
cool thanks, yeah still deciding new or used, only reason why new is an option is its pretty affordable for a 4x4 compared to trucks so it might be doable. Do you ever go on trails or off-road?
also if you'd know, but what's the difference and/or what is better between the 6 speed auto and the CVT. I've been reading for the older years he cvt wasn't that great.
I do light offroading, once I get my other wheels and AT tires, I'll do a bit more. But it's gotten through most of our two tracks, seasonal roads, basic ORV trails etc here in Northern Michigan without issue even on the stock Affinitys. The reason I bought a Patriot was it was cheap with a warranty, and you can actually lock 4wd in, unlike most other small crossover SUVs.

I preferred the automatic because I hate driving CVTs. The CVT has a slightly better crawl ratio, if you get an FDII.

Crawl ratios.
CVT FDI: 14:1
6AT: 17:1
CVT FDII: 19:1

One thing to note, they aren't the smoothest idling vehicles, when in gear at a light. (Foot on brake, in gear.) Other than that I've had no complaints about it.
post #5 of 46 (permalink) Old 06-02-2016, 10:06 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
I do light offroading, once I get my other wheels and AT tires, I'll do a bit more. But it's gotten through most of our two tracks, seasonal roads, basic ORV trails etc here in Northern Michigan without issue even on the stock Affinitys. The reason I bought a Patriot was it was cheap with a warranty, and you can actually lock 4wd in, unlike most other small crossover SUVs.

I preferred the automatic because I hate driving CVTs. The CVT has a slightly better crawl ratio, if you get an FDII.

Crawl ratios.
CVT FDI: 14:1
6AT: 17:1
CVT FDII: 19:1

One thing to note, they aren't the smoothest idling vehicles, when in gear at a light. (Foot on brake, in gear.) Other than that I've had no complaints about it.
I plan to only do small trails too or basic ones since it would be my first time starting if I get one. so you would its ok and still works for the trails if you have the 6speed auto right?

and also what would you say a patriot needs that the most basic model doesn't have in order to do some trails and off road, or do the basic models with basic stuff work just as fine? I noticed on jeep sites there is options of all season tires and all terrain tires. are the all terrain tire the only way to go for trails or can the season tires work just as good?
post #6 of 46 (permalink) Old 06-02-2016, 10:14 AM

I'd definitely look at getting a decent AT tire, over traditional all seasons. The base sport 4wd with some AT tires, (A bit taller and wider than stock) and it would do quite well. If you wanted more height you can do either a 1 inch or 2 inch lift, but my opinion it's not necessary unless you are really getting into some stuff with it.

Here's an example with some AT tires, (and I think he has a lift, but not sure.)

post #7 of 46 (permalink) Old 06-02-2016, 10:15 AM

This is box stock, but with 245/65-17 AT tires. (They rub bad at stock height.) I believe he later added a lift.

post #8 of 46 (permalink) Old 06-02-2016, 10:23 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
I'd definitely look at getting a decent AT tire, over traditional all seasons. The base sport 4wd with some AT tires, (A bit taller and wider than stock) and it would do quite well. If you wanted more height you can do either a 1 inch or 2 inch lift, but my opinion it's not necessary unless you are really getting into some stuff with it.

Here's an example with some AT tires, (and I think he has a lift, but not sure.)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mmF3uo0MD3Y
I was watching this video yesterday.
when you mention lift, do you mean like a whole new suspension kit, or can it me simple as just getting different springs.
post #9 of 46 (permalink) Old 06-02-2016, 10:26 AM

For lifts you have 2 options. Stu Springs, (Different springs, same struts) that give you like an inch. Or you can do the RRO spacer lift, (mounts on top of struts) and that gets you 2-2.25 inches. You can't/shouldn't do both together though.
post #10 of 46 (permalink) Old 06-02-2016, 10:31 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
For lifts you have 2 options. Stu Springs, (Different springs, same struts) that give you like an inch. Or you can do the RRO spacer lift, (mounts on top of struts) and that gets you 2-2.25 inches. You can't/shouldn't do both together though.
when you say shouldn't both you mean new springs and mounts together? right

also you say you go on simple trails, what wheels and tires do you have and is your height stock?
post #11 of 46 (permalink) Old 06-02-2016, 10:35 AM

Send a message via AIM to Terasec Send a message via Yahoo to Terasec
Quote:

i have the CVT
even after 194k miles i hate the CVT
love the pat overall, but hate the cvt

also where abouts are you from, and what type of offroading are you considering?
post #12 of 46 (permalink) Old 06-02-2016, 10:36 AM

Yes I mean you can't do stu springs and the RRO lift together.

I'm stock height, stock everything, including tires. I've done plenty of stuff like this all stock.

(not my pictures, just looked for stuff similar.)

post #13 of 46 (permalink) Old 06-02-2016, 10:41 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Yes I mean you can't do stu springs and the RRO lift together.

I'm stock height, stock everything, including tires. I've done plenty of stuff like this all stock.

(not my pictures, just looked for stuff similar.)

ok. awesome , thanks a lot for your help
post #14 of 46 (permalink) Old 06-02-2016, 10:44 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terasec View Post
i have the CVT
even after 194k miles i hate the CVT
love the pat overall, but hate the cvt

also where abouts are you from, and what type of offroading are you considering?

I am from southern California. I plan to just start small simple stuff. maybe like dirt roads, mud and some hill areas. I never off road before so ill start small and easy then move up to more bumpy and funstuff lol, I don't expect to try to go rock climbing or anything. I have a friend that can show me places or just find some on forums.
post #15 of 46 (permalink) Old 06-02-2016, 11:18 AM

Send a message via AIM to Terasec Send a message via Yahoo to Terasec
Quote:
I am from southern California. I plan to just start small simple stuff. maybe like dirt roads, mud and some hill areas. I never off road before so ill start small and easy then move up to more bumpy and funstuff lol, I don't expect to try to go rock climbing or anything. I have a friend that can show me places or just find some on forums.
if thats the case, FDI would suit you,
fdi is more than capable of handling rutted dirt roads and such,
i used FDII on short logging trails, beach driving, deep snow, (9 years never had to plow my driveway in PA)
FDII includes higher amp alternator, oil cooler, skid plates, all of which can be added to FDI
and it also included lower gearing which affects MPG's

regardless i would recommend better tires than stock for any offroading

http://vid235.photobucket.com/albums...psdd67953c.mp4

Last edited by Terasec; 06-02-2016 at 11:28 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jeep Patriot Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode