Want to get the most out of my Patriot. - Jeep Patriot Forums
Newbie Check-In First Post? Make your big introduction here.

4Likes
  • 1 Post By alacran60622
  • 1 Post By BLKJ33P
  • 2 Post By aroundincircles

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-16-2017, 05:26 PM Thread Starter

Want to get the most out of my Patriot.

Hey everyone. Ive have a 2016 patriot and im looking to see if there is anything i can get to increase the HP. I'm quite the virgin when it comes to this stuff, so im having a little bit of a hard time finding what i need online. Any suggestions? Chips? Parts?

Thanks!!

Wow, thanks for all the amazing replies! Im glad to be here

Last edited by Endboss; 05-16-2017 at 11:56 PM. Reason: Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-16-2017, 06:25 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Endboss View Post
Hey everyone. Ive have a 2016 patriot and im looking to see if there is anything i can get to increase the HP. I'm quite the virgin when it comes to this stuff, so im having a little bit of a hard time finding what i need online. Any suggestions? Chips? Parts?

Thanks!!

Welcome, and a cold air intake I have one it gives it an extra 6hp, which it isn't much but u can feel it. Other than that I might have to chip it but idk about those

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Endboss likes this.
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-16-2017, 06:30 PM

There are basically no performance mods for this vehicle. The Patriot was built for fuel economy and the like.

Some people have put on exhausts and CAI's and state it makes a difference, I'm sure it might, but i think it would be negligible at best. If they can prove it does then kudos, but I'd like to see the difference on a dyno sheet.

Oh, and welcome to the forum!
Ignatz likes this.

2010 Jeep Patriot Sport 4x4 FDI.

Last edited by BLKJ33P; 05-16-2017 at 10:01 PM.

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-16-2017, 08:24 PM

Garage
First off welcome to the site!

Second, not to rain on your parade, but I'll ditto BLKJ33P. The factory has engineers who have pretty much maxed out what 2.4L can give you. Any improvements from a CIA or chip are probably more placebo than reality. Its like adding fuel treatment then driving like a flying rodent from the underworld and saying Wow! Feel the power! In reality its just because you're driving it harder.

The only practical and affordable step you might take is to flash the ECM and then drive it hard. The Patriot will learn your driving style and give you more of what you want. Just be careful what you wish for -- you'll likely find a corresponding drop in fuel economy.
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-16-2017, 09:32 PM
Use the SEARCH feature

Welcome.

Truckin' the bread all over your @$$!
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-16-2017, 11:54 PM Thread Starter

Thank you very much, glad to be here!

Ahh I had a feeling it was pretty maxed out for a 2.4. But thanks for answering my suspicion! And for the ECM suggestion.
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-16-2017, 11:57 PM Thread Starter

First off, you have a beautiful looking Patriot dude.

What kind of air intake did you put in it? And did you do it yourself?
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-17-2017, 12:42 PM

the patriot already has a CAI, it takes are from right at the front edge of the hood. You cannot get any better than that.

I have yet to actually see somebody do a before/after dyno of doing a CAI on a patriot, but I bet it has exactly 0 change in performance. These engines are very closely controlled by the electronics, in fact the throttle itself is not even controlled by your foot, its controlled by a computer brain, so the position of your foot on the throttle tells the computer how much fuel/air mixture you want, and then the computer figures it out. Even if a "CAI" (they are usually anything but, since they tend to pull air from behind the radiator) can pull more air, the computer system still controls how much of that air actually gets to the engine. so a CAI/exhaust/magic fairy dust does NOTHING until somebody actually does something about the computer software. Once again, I have never seen someone actually tune these engines, The ECU is locked up like lindsay lohan. My parents have a suzuki Kisashi with the exact same cvt/ 2.4l world engine. It has more HP because they tuned it differently, and the ecu on that is open, and tunes can be found from across the ocean. and you can get a bit more HP from them, not much though.

Things you can do to ACTUALLY affect performance:
1) Reduce weight. the less weight your engine has to pull around, the better. Yank the back seats out, ditch the spare tire, radio, interior plastics, sound deadening materials, carpet, etc.

2) Skinnier tires that are lighter than factory tires. Unsprung mass is a performance killer. big wheels and fat rubber kill performance. Usually you find these are cars with excess power. On cars that are light on power, reduce that unsprung mass!

3) keep up on tune ups and the like. Fresh oil keeping friction down, proper spark plugs on recommended change intervals, etc.

4) purchase an aftermarket ECU and pay for a custom tune (cost will be in excess of $5000). probably not worth it for the 10-15 extra horsepower you'll get.
Sock and Endboss like this.

2012 FDII Patriot - Sold
1989 Cherokee Pioneer - 3.5" MC lift
http://aicproductionblog.com/support-this-page/
http://www.youtube.com/c/aicoffroadvideo
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-17-2017, 01:46 PM

Hey Endboss, welcome!

The only off the shelf "tuner" for the Patriot I know of is from Roadrace motorsports for 2012+ Patriots at $499.00. I don't know of anyone who has ever used it, or if would work for your 2016, but you could contact them and see what they have to say.

https://roadracemotorsports.com/stor...oducts_id=2399

15" Ravine Rims, 235/75/15 Duratracs, CRDSTU coils, JKS Quicker Disconnects, Airbox Baffle Mod., Midland 822 CB w/ 2' Firestik II, Weathertec floor liners.
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-17-2017, 08:26 PM

Garage
To give you an idea of how much they've gotten out of the 2.4 consider this: my first car was a 1960 Ford Falcon. Lovable, but moved at a glacial pace. It had 85 brake hp and 135'# torque. Our 2.4 puts out 172 net hp and 175'# torque . . . with two fewer cylinders! Identical displacement, easily double the power and 30% more torque.

There was a thread on here a few years ago about someone who tried to put a turbo on his Patriot. I'm not sure it all came together. That would certainly put out more power, but probably requires significant alterations to other part of the vehicle -- engine bearings, transmission, etc. Probably need a different ECM, too.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jeep Patriot Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode