Looking to purchase a patriot - Jeep Patriot Forums
Newbie Check-In First Post? Make your big introduction here.

1Likes
  • 1 Post By Ignatz

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-10-2017, 10:53 AM Thread Starter

Looking to purchase a patriot

Good day fellow off roaders and SUV lovers, As you can see I am a English man in Poland! (Sting tune), I'm an alien. Ok to the point
I'm looking at buying a used Jeep Patriot and wondering if there are any known faults or weaknesses I should look for or be weary of?

Vehicle

2 litre crd diesel European
Manual
Limited
4x4
200,000km

I know that's big number on the clock but I'm on a tight budget and cars and prices are terrible here. From my first visit this looks like a well kept original car.

Thank you all for your time
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-10-2017, 12:07 PM

suspension components and sub frame rust are big ones to look for. Suspension is not too bad to replace, parts are cheapish, and easy to do yourself if you are so inclined. The engine is a VW unit, and you'll get more info on a vw site than you'll find here, I've only seen a handful of them on this forum.

2012 FDII Patriot - Sold
1989 Cherokee Pioneer - 3.5" MC lift
http://aicproductionblog.com/support-this-page/
http://www.youtube.com/c/aicoffroadvideo
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-10-2017, 12:30 PM Thread Starter

Nice one around in circles. I have looked under the car and actually looks rust free. From what I have read the only component from vw is the engine block which sounds sweet. This is shared with many other cars and should be easy to acquire in the worst case.

In a way a suspension problem would make a full suspension and lift kit easier to sell to my better half

Any other comments welcome

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-10-2017, 01:04 PM

unfortunately not, of two kits available, the spacer lift, puts more stress on the suspension and wear out components faster. If you carry a lot of stuff around, the stock springs in the rear tend to sag, and the stu coils (just search the site for them) would be a good replacement. especially for the age/miles if you plan on replacing the shocks/spring anyways, pick up the stu coils. not much of a lift (maybe 1"), but since its plenty to fit the largest tire you will want to fit anyways, you don't need more than that.

2012 FDII Patriot - Sold
1989 Cherokee Pioneer - 3.5" MC lift
http://aicproductionblog.com/support-this-page/
http://www.youtube.com/c/aicoffroadvideo
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-10-2017, 05:21 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Englishmaninpoland View Post
Good day fellow off roaders and SUV lovers, As you can see I am a English man in Poland! (Sting tune), I'm an alien. Ok to the point
I'm looking at buying a used Jeep Patriot and wondering if there are any known faults or weaknesses I should look for or be weary of?

Vehicle

2 litre crd diesel European
Manual
Limited
4x4
200,000km

I know that's big number on the clock but I'm on a tight budget and cars and prices are terrible here. From my first visit this looks like a well kept original car.

Thank you all for your time
An "original car." I think Patriots are a little ways away from becoming collector cars but down the road (say a couple decades) it will be nice to say its all original.

At 200,000 kms you are getting to the point where things may go wrong, but that will happen to any vehicle. f you're dealing with the original owner you can probably get a feel for how well your Patriot was cared for.

As for known problems, the early years were notorious for leaky sunroofs.

Many complained about front end problems but I've had no problems. After a point things do wear out; nothing premature here.

The subframe rust was only on 2007s due to a poor quality steel (according to my dealer). I had them check my 2008 and he said he was amazed at how good the subframe looks, especially considering its into its 9th New England winter -- we get a lot of snow here and the DOT uses copious amounts of salt to keep the roads safe.

Overall I'm quite happy with my 2008 (now at 233,000 miles) and we bought a 2014 for Wifey. She loves it. No problem with Hers either.
jonkat44 likes this.
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-14-2017, 03:37 AM Thread Starter

Thank you both for your help. I now have the vehicle in my possetion. Due to your comments I investigated the front end closer before buying. The car has new suspension new winter tiers and no rust underneath. I must say this car drives like new, my previous vehicle in the uk was a 2013 Range Rover evoke and the ride is comparable. This forum has been useful and I'm looking forward to updating my upgrades to you all.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jeep Patriot Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode