Jeep Patriot Forums banner

Looking for my XJ replacement

3K views 18 replies 9 participants last post by  xjtke611 
#1 ·
Hi,
I'm on a few other sites: JKboard, Jeepkings, SOXJA, etc. I have a '99 Cherokee that came with my name on the sticker after I ordered it. I love my XJ, but I don't like the fuel is drinks. I'm probably going to use it as a dedicated trail rig once I can find a replacement for it. The problem is, I don't think its replaceable. I test drove the Unlimited Jk Sahara already, it seemed too big, sloppy compared to my XJ, ( I am running Goodyear Wrangler Silent Armors though, and may be unfair to compare to the tires on the Sahara, not sure). Looking forward to the Patriot. Seems the right size, but I am hoping for a Clean Diesel though.
Cheers!
Jack.

#5 ·
That's really interesting! The 360 view of the interior really throws you. I know the shape but those seats are definetely newly designed. I don't think that there is 3 rear shoulder belts...

If you click on 'out' near the under the image you can see the 360 of the exterior... well at least the upper 1/2 of it. Mine only loads the upper portion.

#6 ·
I wonder if Chrysler even knows how quickly those things would sell if they just updated them and brought them back to the US. Seriously, the Cherokee is the most unique looking vehicle....the best blend between utility, comfort, and capability, ever made.

Why bother with the Liberty?...even the redesigned one. If they are still using the old template in China, how hard would it be to update it and put it back into production over here?

What would it take? A satellite radio, updated suspension, and a more efficient engine? Cripes!

#7 ·
unclejjg said:
What would it take? A satellite radio, updated suspension, and a more efficient engine? Cripes!
Back doors an adult can get in and out of! I've always liked Cherokees, but dreaded when more than two of use were going to lunch in my co-worker's four door Cherokee.

What were the actual production numbers for the Cherokee in its last few years? That may have been one of the factors.

IHS crash requirements may have been another major factor.

Cost is probably the biggest reason. I'm sure they streamlined the manufacturing process with the Liberty. As for the Patriot, most of the engineering and development costs have been spread out between Dodge, Chrysler, Jeep, and Mitsubishi. They plan on making even more extensive use of this chassis -- the next gen PT Cruiser and Sebring/Avenger are the most likely candidates.

#8 ·
Brett said:
What were the actual production numbers for the Cherokee in its last few years? That may have been one of the factors.

IHS crash requirements may have been another major factor.
For some strange reason Chrysler wanted to axe the Cherokee for a long time. The Grand Cherokee was actually supposed to take its place, but popularity kept it going until they came out with the Liberty.

#9 ·
The grand cherokee is nice... but it is no cherokee. From my view point, it the GC replaced the grand wagoneer.

I am hoping that the Patriot is the actually update to the cherokee. I hope that the after market manufs. pick up the ball and make some affordable accessories... like rectangular tub bumpers and sliders... a lift... snorkel...

#10 ·
pdxbubba said:
The grand cherokee is nice... but it is no cherokee. From my view point, it the GC replaced the grand wagoneer.

I am hoping that the Patriot is the actually update to the cherokee. I hope that the after market manufs. pick up the ball and make some affordable accessories... like rectangular tub bumpers and sliders... a lift... snorkel...

The ZJ would have worked well as a replacement. The styling was undeniably the same... just a bit of an update. Performance-wise the ZJ was better in every category except gas milage against some of the four-banger XJ's.

#11 ·
It may outperform some XJ 4 bangers, but it would NOT outperform any XJ in-line 6. While my wife's 03 WJ is nice, it is not nearly as fun to drive as my 98 XJ.

Don't get me wrong, the ZJ/WJ are very capable vehicles, but a six banger ZJ/WJ is not--in general--going to outperform a XJ--in my opinion.

I wonder if a HEMI is a viable option for a XJ? Just call it a "screaming meamie".

#12 ·
HoosierMud said:
It may outperform some XJ 4 bangers, but it would NOT outperform any XJ in-line 6. While my wife's 03 WJ is nice, it is not nearly as fun to drive as my 98 XJ.

Don't get me wrong, the ZJ/WJ are very capable vehicles, but a six banger ZJ/WJ is not--in general--going to outperform a XJ--in my opinion.

I wonder if a HEMI is a viable option for a XJ? Just call it a "screaming meamie".
In what way and why not? I am absolutely no basher of the XJ... they are an amazing vehicle and were revolutionary at the time. But the ZJ just has a few advantages.

If we are talking offroad performance, then the better is likely the ZJ. The XJ is well-known as a competent offroader- that's a fact. But the ZJ takes the same elements and improves upon them. They have the same hinderances: a low stock ground clearance, unibody construction, weak axles. The front suspensions set-up is essentially identical, a nice SFA set-up. But when the AMC and DCX teams began designing the ZJ, they redesigned the rear suspension, changing the leaf springs to coil springs. The coil springs are proven to provide better axle flex in most situations, as well as a more comfortable on-road ride. If you don't believe me, look at some RTI ramp pictures. The massively YJ's will not do as well as you'd expect. The coil springs were so effective they migrated the set-up to the TJ Wrangler not long afterwards.

As for on-road performance, I really can't back it up as well. But I can't possibly imagine that two vehicles running the same drivetrain, at similar weights, similar heights, and similar aerodynamics, would perform considerably different. If you ask me, they're like almost like driving the exact same thing... unless a little smoother in the ZJ due to the change to the coil springs.

Again, I mean in no way to belittle the XJ... I'm a fan of them. But to say that it can outperform a ZJ is essentially false.

#13 ·
I'm not bashing the ZJ/WJ either. As I stated earlier, it is a fine vehicle, although I prefer driving my XJ. The braking on my XJ is vastly superior to that of my wife's 03 WJ. Turning radius is much better in the XJ and allows for tighter cornering. I can't tell you how much better the steering is on my XJ than the WJ. My XJ feels very solid in its steering compared to my wife's WJ; her's seems to "float"--especially cornering. You point the XJ into corner and you know where you are going--in the 03 JGC you just kind of guide the vehicle. The WJ does win hands down when talking how smooth it rides. There is no comparison between the two in that category.

I don't do serious off roading, but my XJ feels more solid off road than the WJ. Her's is very competent for the type of off-roading we do, but the XJ is "King", with the WJ coming in a very close 2nd--at least in my opinion.

As a matter of fact, we are planning a trip to some of the milder backroads in Colorado this coming summer and we are taking my wife's WJ. If I thought it was a slouch, I wouldn't be taking it up 12,000' trails. The only modification I will be making will be putting Goodyear Wrangler Silent Armor tires on in place of its stock tires.

#14 · (Edited)
I just wish they would have:
- found a way to make the Unibody frame more rigid, (if Honda can do it why can't DCX?)
- made the wheel wells easier to open up for larger tires, instead of having to give it an 8" lift just for 35's
- incorporated the safety standards today without sacrificing the styling
- and in general, made the same effort at upgrading it as they have the Wrangler!?! Instead, they gave us the Liberty????? Weirdos! I'm thinking they're playing Psychological games with us. Throwing vehicles that aren't quite Cherokees at us thinking it will be ok. Well, ITS NOT OK!!!!!!!!!!!
Upgrade the Freaking Cherkee already, completely redesign it, I don't care, stop giving me poor excuses for replacements!!!!
I want a vehicle that is not a convertable, has solid axels, is almost as capable as the Wrangler, and when its too old to be a daily driver, easily turn it into a trail rig!
Is that too much to ask for? Hope they're listening with the Trailhawk concept!
Stepping off the soapbox now.
Thanks,
Jack.

#17 ·
Right on Jack!!! The XJ is a beast offroad. The Liberty has and always will be a poor 'replacement' for the XJ. I'm STILL (over 6 years later) really upset about the whole thing. The new four door Wrangler Unlimited Hardtop is a step in the right direction but its still not a Cherokee. There needs to be a NEW version with SOILD AXLES front and rear, large fender openings, and as little plastic as possible. The H3 comes with a factory option of 33's. :eek: Are Jeeps not good enough for stock 33's? I seriously doubt DCX is listening.... So I'm NOT holding my breathe for the Trailhawk.

Trailhawk....? I don't know? Maybe. Hope the take the "fast" look out of it. They've got the Grand SRT 8, Why do they need a Grand with a solid Axle? Hope they put it into production with revised fenders. Reminds me of the first Avalanches, the ones with all the stupid plastic on them. Looked like they forgot the KISS rule, Keep It Stupid Simple, er Keep It Simple Stupid. Then they took all the plastic off the Avalanches and made them look better.
Happy New Year.
Cheers!
Jack.
I also agree with KISS. Jeeps are getting a bit too complex to make them super offroaders. How much can you modify your rig? What if something breaks? How easy would it be to fix on the trail? Besides wrenches and a bfh, do you need a laptop to fix it? :confused:

DCX if you are listening, here are a couple ideas for the Trailhawk. SOILD AXLES front and rear, large fender openings, as little plastic as possible, better ground clearance, REAL bumpers, and stock 33's!

If you are still listening... Stop putting training wheels on Jeeps. The minimum size of any tire put on a Jeep should be 30" (and NO compact spares)!!!! Offer diesels on all models!! Stop using torx bits on everything. Most importantly, Scarp the Liberty!
You need to wake up! You need to listen to the people who BUY your vehicles. We are VERY loyal!!! The Liberty was a slap in the face many of us will not soon forget!!!:mad:

I love the Patroit!! I'm still going to get a Patriot!!! I will always drive a JEEP!!! Not because I have to, because I WANT TO!!!!

Rant over!:D

#15 ·
Trailhawk....? I don't know? Maybe. Hope the take the "fast" look out of it. They've got the Grand SRT 8, Why do they need a Grand with a solid Axle? Hope they put it into production with revised fenders. Reminds me of the first Avalanches, the ones with all the stupid plastic on them. Looked like they forgot the KISS rule, Keep It Stupid Simple, er Keep It Simple Stupid. Then they took all the plastic off the Avalanches and made them look better.
Happy New Year.
Cheers!
Jack.

Attachments

#16 ·
I agree with the first part... up to KISS rule. But the avalanche needed to keep the plastic. It was not only very useful for keeping dents and scratches down after a trail run, but it kept it from looking like any other cookie cutter truck. It was a lot lighter than having to add some kind of spray on bed liner for protection.

#19 ·
I have no problem with the KJ as a vehicle. It is far better than any other vehicle currently in its class. I have a problem with how it was introduced and what it is supposed to be. A replacement for the XJ. (Remember, outside North America the KJ carries the name Cherokee.) I think Jack pretty much summed it up.

...and in general, made the same effort at upgrading it as they have the Wrangler!?! Instead, they gave us the Liberty????? Weirdos! I'm thinking they're playing Psychological games with us. Throwing vehicles that aren't quite Cherokees at us thinking it will be ok. Well, ITS NOT OK!!!!!!!!!!!
Upgrade the Freaking Cherkee already, completely redesign it, I don't care, stop giving me poor excuses for replacements!!!!
I want a vehicle that is not a convertable, has solid axels, is almost as capable as the Wrangler, and when its too old to be a daily driver, easily turn it into a trail rig!
I agree the Patriot is less of a 'Jeep' than the Liberty. The difference is that the Patriot is a new vehicle. Not a replacement. If the Liberty was introduced as an additional vehicle to the line (as it was originally intended to be) I would not have a problem. For fairness my issue is with DCX. I do want to make it clear that I have no issue with Liberty owners. I treat Liberty owners with the exact same respect as all other Jeep owners.

As a former XJ owner, I personally will never own a KJ. More out of principle than anything else. Eventhough the CRD KJ is very tempting. :D

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.