I've read a lot of posts asking which speaker fit, which don't, and how to replace speakers. Here is how to replace them and the info should also help with which speakers fit and which don't.
Sorry for the bad pic quality... cell phone camera.
Vehicle: 2010 Jeep Patriot, standard speaker system (not Boston Acoustics)
Step 1: Buy speakers and speaker wiring harnesses (optional).
- All 4 doors take 6x9 speakers. We look at mounting depth later.
- Do NOT buy the Schosche brand harnesses on eBay that say for "1991-up Chrysler, etc vehicles." They do not work... I learned this the hard way. I could only find the correct ones on crutchfield.com. Link here. They come in pairs just like speakers do.
- You will also need a Torx bit for the screws (not sure which size).
Step 2: If you bought harnesses, attach them to each speaker.
- BLACK wire on harness goes to BLACK wire post on speaker.
- WHITE wire on harness goes to RED wire post on speaker.
- The posts are different sizes so this part is hard to mess up.
Step 3: Remove speaker grill.
- I used a metal butter knife, starting at the bottom and prying off. You can use other things to get in there but I would start at the bottom and work my way around the speaker. This was the hardest part because I didn't want to break anything.
- See pictures below for inside of speaker grille to get a better understanding of how it attaches to the door panel.
Step 4: Use Torx driver to remove screws.
- There are two size screws so remember where they go.
Step 5: Skip this step to continue installation. This is to show mounting depth and size of speaker hole.
- From the door's sheet metal to the mounting surface of the door panel is almost 6 inches.
- There is nothing behind the top portion that is holding the speaker wire so it can be cut if needed.
- The rear door seems to have less room with door bracing and what looks like part of the window assembly in the way.
- See pictures
Front Left door:
Rear Left door:
New speaker vs. Stock speaker
Step 6: Connect wire harness to stock harness
- If you didn't buy harnesses you have to cut the stock harness off and splice the wires together.
Step 7: Re-install speaker and screws. Tips:
- Put the connection points (where you attached the harness to the speaker) toward the bottom of the door where there is more room.
- Install the long screws first but do not tighten yet. Tighten after completely tightening short screws.
- The short screws have a wide head so it may look like they won't fit but make sure you screw them all the way to the base.
Step 8: Test speaker, and reinstall speaker grill. Repeat for other doors.