Jeep Patriot Forums banner

CVT Transmission noise?

96K views 124 replies 64 participants last post by  Juiced97Mustang 
#1 ·
Hi,

Is anyone experiencing noise coming from their transmissions, or what seems to be the transmission, at low speeds? I am hearing a rattling/grinding noise that occurs when you are decelerating and going very slow, just barely rolling forward and applying gentle on/off pressure to the gas peddle or just before
coming to a stop when braking into a red light/stop sign. The noise seems to come from directly under the vehicle.

By the way, I have the 2008 4x4 limited FDI version Pat if that helps.

Thanks.

#57 ·
Grimsby CDJ Ontario

The CDJ dealership is the one that delt with my tranny noise quickly and efficiently. Not sure where you are from, but if you are anywhere in the GTA Niagara area...might be worth the drive??

#61 ·
I think it uses plasma. Personally, I think the whole problem begins because of salt on the tires....

#62 ·
Just had my 2010 pat 4x4 fdI in for this same concern. I bought it brand new with 216 miles and it has done it since day 1. Now I have 1300 miles on it so I took it in. Feeny dodge here in Elgin il says this is a normal condition. I don't buy it. I'm going to another dealer. Any input?

#63 ·
I posted this on another forum, same section. Mechanic put our pat on a lift and out it in gear. The rear differentail was howling like a banshee. (for something that makes no noise normally.) Anyway Jeep sending mechanic a new one, hopefully problem solved, and gas mileage goes up. Been kinda low, like around 15 mpg. Thought it was the cold, but maybe a bad bearing slowing things down? Time will tell. Still love the Jeep though.

#64 ·
Sorry for the late reply.
But with a complete new rear differentail the Patriot is like new again. The noise is gone, but I might still need to reset the MPG gauge. The mechanic found a small PS fluid leak otherwise, at almost 30,000 miles, still a good little SUV. While it was in the shop my wife barrowed my mom's Honda CRV limited. (well honda's equalivant) Terrible little car drove weird, nice layout, but built for people who think anything not paved needs 4x4. Not even in the same league as a Patriot.

#65 ·
I just bought my 2008 patriot a month ago and I noticed the same light metal grinding noise when decelerating at low speeds. I took it back to the dealership (its under warranty) and they told me they heard the noise and that its normal. I dont believe that at all, especially after reading the forum. I will only have a warranty for about 6 more months. Is there any way I can prove to the dealership that this noise is not normal and have them fix the problem?

#69 ·
Now that my warranty has just run out, (800 miles ago) my CVT has started moaning very noticably. (Noises that didn't exist while under warranty)

I'm not the original onwer so I only had the 36K bumper to bumper on it.

Anyone had any luck with close-to warranty out of warranty situations?

#80 ·
I know this post was a couple of months ago, and I don't know if this will help or not, but you could check to see if you are eligible to purchase the extended warranty. I would think if it only has 37,000 miles you could find something... it might take a phone call instead of checking online, but it appears to be available for used vehicles as well. If you can get one, you might be able to call different dealerships to see what they will sell it to your for $2700-$3500 is way too much
Jeep Service Contracts

#72 ·
I think I know what you guys are referring to. Sometimes when I accelerate, the sound coming from the engine changes. It happens when I get to around 20-30 km/h. Like the motor accelerates fine and then suddenly sounds like two metal pieces are rubbing together before going back to normal. It freaked me out at first but shrugged it off since then. Should I be worried?

#74 ·
Great dealer experience

Just bought an 07 Patriot Sport with 45000 miles. Transmission went out in less than 1 month and less than 1000 miles. Took it in to the dealer it took a bit of negotiating but they put a new tranny in for $100 out of pocket.Just goes to show there are a few dealers out there that are still good people to deal with.

#75 ·
well,
i just got my 2010 patriot cvt
and from day 1
i heard this noise, brought it back twice.
had the run around like everyone else "its normal"
Also had one of the mechanics take a spin with me and was treating me like i was a dum A$$ (he was playing with the ac knob and heating knobs,)
Asking me if this is the noise I hear. basically looked at him like he was nuts.
anyway, had the service manager tell me that this is normal, and that it's part of the cvt transmission.
Very very frustrating
especially that i only have 1200km on it
and it's been an issue since DAY 1
as proof I've been recording the noise on my phone
Do you think i should go to another dealership and try my luck there

#79 ·
I'm beginning to hear noise from the rear end now. Was thinking it was the tires, but put new tires on yesterday and it's still there. Sounds like from the wheels though, not the diff, but I'm not sure. Will have to take it in I guess. It's worse at highway speeds, and almost sounds like a rock stuck in the tire or something too. Hard to describe, but it's disheartening.

I've had many new vehicles in my life, and this is the first one with front end issues this early, and now the rear end too???? gee

#88 ·
I started to hear a noise in the rear end of my pat, started out as nothing too bad but got progressively worse. Turned out to be a wheel bearing. My neighbor owns a repair shop and I was there when they fixed it. They took the rear passenger wheel, and brakes apart just down to the hub to isolate the noise, it was gross and the bearing was shot soo bad it was hard to turn the hub and you could feel the grinding. I"m willing to bet that is what your problem is. I do alot of snow driving like you so maybe the extra moisture causes the bearings to go faster, i've also driven through my fair shair of water as well. Hope this helps you out.

#81 ·
I looked at the extended warranties, but looks like they max out at 80,000 miles (for the most expensive one), and I'm almost at 60,000 now, and will probably hit 80,000 next summer. Not sure it's worth it to me, even with the rear end noise now.

I think my best bet is to trade.

#82 ·
After clicking that link, select the warranty that is currently on your vehicle, then choose the warranty you would like to get: "Maximum Care" or "Added Care Plus." After choosing the warranty, it takes you to another page where you are able to choose how long you would like the warranty to last. The Lifetime bumper to bumper "Maximum Care" ranges from $3100-$3700... I would definitely try to find a dealer that is willing to sell it just about "cost". Added care covers major stuff for about $500-700 less

#83 ·
Possible Transmission Issues - New Patriot

Arrrgh...new vehicle and I may have one of the faulty CVTs. I'm only 500km into my new car and there seems to be something wrong with the transmission. From the moment I drove it off the lot I've noticed this metallic rattle under acceleration. I've now also noticed that the transmission downshifts roughly at slow speed when in traffic. When I got into my office today I pulled into an enclosed area - when the engine was in drive the metallic rattle was quite pronounced. When I put the car in neutral it was still there also. Put it into park and it went away. Also, when the car was in drive there was a burning smell. I know the engine and drivetrain are still getting broken in but this doesn't seem right...thoughts?

#84 · (Edited)
Arrrgh...new vehicle and I may have one of the faulty CVTs. I'm only 500km into my new car and there seems to be something wrong with the transmission. From the moment I drove it off the lot I've noticed this metallic rattle under acceleration. I've now also noticed that the transmission downshifts roughly at slow speed when in traffic. When I got into my office today I pulled into an enclosed area - when the engine was in drive the metallic rattle was quite pronounced. When I put the car in neutral it was still there also. Put it into park and it went away. Also, when the car was in drive there was a burning smell. I know the engine and drivetrain are still getting broken in but this doesn't seem right...thoughts?
Mine ('07) does exactly the same (w/o the burning smell...), but in neutral the noise dissappears.

#85 ·
Add our 2008 jeep to the list of those needing a new tranny at 45k! First it kept looking like something was leaking occ. in high temps. Took it to the dealer and they put some dye in the oil. Took it back as now there was a sound too and again, dealer said "oil pan" but upon closer inspection, was the tranny!! Makes me very nervous as do we have to worry about something else now? How come there's no light to warn about such a major problem??

#86 ·
It's been awhile since I have posted. I have been taking my Patriot into a different dealership - Carter in Burnaby, BC. They have been much more helpful, but they still couldn't pin point the noise. Finally, they thought it was the catalytic converter, so replaced that. The noise was still there. I dropped it back off last night and they called me today to tell me they are replacing the transmission. Thank goodness it's still under warranty. It has taken me a year and a half and 3 dealerships to hopefully finally get it taken care of!

#87 ·
Just wanted to add to the discussion here. I had very similar noises coming from my 2007 Pat with 42,000 miles on it. I took it to the dealer where they found the failing PTU (power transfer unit) and replaced it. However, there was still a noise so they are going to replace the drive shaft, which makes sense because the sound speeds up and slows with the car. I'll post after the shaft is replaced to say if it worked or not.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.