Jeep Patriot Forums - View Single Post - Drivetrain hesitation and bucking
View Single Post
post #8 of (permalink) Old 12-27-2016, 05:39 PM
silverflash

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ignatz View Post
Terminology can be confusing here. I'll share my problem and how I solved it.

First, go for the cheap fix first. Replace the plugs. You're talking <$20 and it might be all you need.

If that doesn't do it, may I ask the condition of your tires? Mine was stuttering on hills. Not usually from a dead stop, but during acceleration after it was already moving, like getting on an entrance ramp or coming to a hill where it needed more power. It was like the whole engine quite for an RPM or two, then it would smooth out. If it was a long hill it might happen again. At the time I had inconsistent tires -- one axle had fairly new tires, the other well-worn tires, and I think they were undersized. My guess (only a guess) is that the tires moving at different speeds was confusing the computer.

Please check back when you've got things figured out.

PS, at 230,000 miles I'm still on my original throttle body so if I were you, I'd be reluctant to spend that kind of money on speculation. I don't burn anything special for fuel; always regular, usually Irving or whatever Cumberland Farms is selling (Citgo I think).

I actually saw this posters thread when i was having the issue at first. coincidentally, my issue started the very next time i drove my jeep after i rotated tires. So i thought the above was the cause. In my case, replacing the throttle body resolved things.

unless replacing the throttle body leads to another process that resets something associated with tires being out if spec to one another. i don't know. i just know after throttle body it hasn't happened again....and i have rotated the same tires a time or 2 since..

2013 patriot sport 4x4 2.4 5spd FD1 True Blue, Willy's Overland edition
215/70R16 Cooper Discoverer AT3 on Drag 9s, a/c
front and rear wet okole seat covers, front and rear rugged ridge floor mats, cargo cover,cargo carpet, front custom cut splash guards, rear window crank rattle-delete mod.

For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome