130 to 430 Headunit Swap - Jeep Patriot Forums
Electrical and Audio Discuss stereos, NAV, general wiring, lighting & GPS

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-16-2017, 02:25 PM Thread Starter
Your Neighborhood 2WD Rep

130 to 430 Headunit Swap

Hey gang -

My new Pat does not have the 430 system that I liked from my first Pat. I just have the regular 130 unit.

I found a decent deal on one on eBay, and was planning to swap it out. From what I have researched it should swap just fine, but wanted to run through the steps to make sure I did not miss anything. Any help would be appreciated, as I know a few people here have done this in the past.

eBay Link: Jeep Chrysler Dodge MyGig 430 RBZ Low Speed Touchscreen Display Radio CD OEM

To make the switch -

remove old radio
put 430 in
use provided antitheft code to activate head unit

then I'm all set right? I do not need to buy any additional wiring because the existing wires from the 130 just plug right in?

My eventual goal is to hook up a backup camera to the headunit, and my assumption is that since this one is from a 2016 Pat that it can receive the backup camera as long as I take it to the dealer and have them activate the backup feature on the unit. Is that correct?

As always, thanks for the help!

CURRENT: '17 Patriot Sport SE 4x4
PAST: '12 Patriot FWD Altitude Edition

Mods- 7" Stubby Antenna, Mopar Cargo Organizer, X2 Green RockyMount Euro PitchFork Bike Mounts

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-16-2017, 07:20 PM

I'm not knowledgeable on radio swaps--there's a lot of info on this forum. Regarding the back-up camera, you'd most likely have to run the video feed, along with 12v power from the b/u lamps all the way to the front. Make sure you get that overlay that covers the hatch handle, it has the mount for the camera in it.

Good luck--keep in touch!

Jack Allwardt, Bonney Lake (Tehaleh area), WA; "recovering Californian"; (REPEAT Patriot Owner...'08 Limited and a '16 High Altitude), Retired engineer, US Army veteran, Member: American Legion, Veterans of Foreign Wars, Central Valley Vietnam Veterans, Enumclaw (WA) Lions Club. Former vintage military jeep owner, instrument rated commercial pilot, ag pilot, vintage aircraft restorer and test pilot.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-17-2017, 09:55 AM

Garage
Hey Brohio

I swapped my 130 for a 430N in about 10 minutes. Plug and play. Because I opted for navigation, I confirmed my antenna was GPS compatible prior to install. Not sure on the back-up camera component because my 2014 is not pre-wired for that. Cheers.

<font color=White>_________________________</font>. .... . . . . . . . . . . . s l i g h t l y o n t h e b e a t e n p a t h

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-17-2017, 02:12 PM
Use the SEARCH feature

As long as its a low can-bus speed unit (which it looks like it is,) and you get the 4 digit unlock pin from the seller (for post-2011 units, i believe?) Then it should be plug-and-play.

Truckin' the bread all over your @$$!
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-19-2017, 08:39 AM Thread Starter
Your Neighborhood 2WD Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 14jEEp View Post
Hey Brohio

I swapped my 130 for a 430N in about 10 minutes. Plug and play. Because I opted for navigation, I confirmed my antenna was GPS compatible prior to install. Not sure on the back-up camera component because my 2014 is not pre-wired for that. Cheers.
Did you have an existing antenna? Or can the 430N use the sat radio radio antenna as a GPS signal?

The main reason I did not go with a 430N was because I did not want to install another antenna.

CURRENT: '17 Patriot Sport SE 4x4
PAST: '12 Patriot FWD Altitude Edition

Mods- 7" Stubby Antenna, Mopar Cargo Organizer, X2 Green RockyMount Euro PitchFork Bike Mounts

post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-19-2017, 09:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brohio View Post
Did you have an existing antenna? Or can the 430N use the sat radio radio antenna as a GPS signal?

The main reason I did not go with a 430N was because I did not want to install another antenna.
The only difference I see is the sat radio is mounted on the roof, and the nav is mounted on the forward part of the dash. As both items are in the same wave-length, they will work for each other--now the connectors are a different story--something that will have to be checked--and there are adapters out there. I found one several years ago that connected to my sat radio antenna and then to a gps that required an outside antenna.

Jack Allwardt, Bonney Lake (Tehaleh area), WA; "recovering Californian"; (REPEAT Patriot Owner...'08 Limited and a '16 High Altitude), Retired engineer, US Army veteran, Member: American Legion, Veterans of Foreign Wars, Central Valley Vietnam Veterans, Enumclaw (WA) Lions Club. Former vintage military jeep owner, instrument rated commercial pilot, ag pilot, vintage aircraft restorer and test pilot.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jeep Patriot Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode