break lights staying on - Jeep Patriot Forums
Electrical and Audio Discuss stereos, NAV, general wiring, lighting & GPS

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-06-2017, 01:39 AM Thread Starter

break lights staying on

Hi all,

Something to pick your brains with!

In the process of importing a jeep patriot 2008 form the UK to the continent. I went to Jeep dealer to get a diagnostic following an ABS ESP warning light. Fault found, error code relating to ABS sensor.
BUT since the computer was plugged in, the three break lights stay on constant. Jeep cannot fix it so far. When unplugging the break light switch the lights stay on, same when taking the fuse out. (Fuse 5)
When disconnecting battery and reconnecting, lights are off, but one pressure on break pedal and then come back on constant
Any thoughts?
Have a good day
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-06-2017, 02:04 PM

I'm assuming that in the UK, the brake lamps are separate from the turn signal lamps? In the US, brake lamps do "double duty" as the turn signal as well, and these circuits are combined in the wonderful world of tpim--the dreaded computer! Are any other lamps on; back-up, park/tail, interior? wondering where the cross circuit may come from? We had a problem with my '08, the brake switch would stick and not come on, due to the stickiness of the lube in the switch's plunger. Don't overlook something that seems unrelated. It's too bad we can't have a power schematic--yes, even of the tpim--so that we could know where t trace circuits...

Jack Allwardt, Bonney Lake (Tehaleh area), WA; (REPEAT Patriot Owner...'08 Limited and a '16 High Altitude), Retired engineer, US Army veteran, Member: American Legion, Veterans of Foreign Wars, Central Valley Vietnam Veterans, Enumclaw (WA) Lions Club. Former vintage military jeep owner, instrument rated commercial pilot, ag pilot, vintage aircraft restorer and test pilot.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-06-2017, 08:17 PM

Quote:
BUT since the computer was plugged in, the three break lights stay on constant.
Yes, some Euro countries have the brake/signal lights act different than here in the USA.

Just some off the wall thoughts.
-Did this also happen before the dealership plugged in their diagnostic computer?

-Did the dealership flash any TSB updates in the PCM?

-TIPMs have had failures, recalls and TSB updates in the past especially 2007 up.
I could be wrong but i believe the TIPM is flash updateable.
The dealership may have flashed a USA TSB in either the PCM or the TIPM which might not be compatible with the UK software versions.

-There could also be tail light cable differences between the UK and USA. One way to tell is by comparing part numbers.

2014 Patriot Latitude 4X4 | 2000 Jeep XJ | 2016 Ford F150 XLT | 2005 Dodge Neon

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-07-2017, 02:45 PM Thread Starter

Hi Jack,

thank you for your reply and all my respect for your career in the forces.

I did think of the break pedal switch but unplugging it has no effects, lights stay on, same when fuse is taken off, which makes me think it is nothing to do with the wiring or stop light circuit.

Will keep this thread updated!
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-07-2017, 02:52 PM Thread Starter

Hi moparado,

thanks for your reply. The car was bought in the UK and is being imported to France.

to my knowledge, the dealer only plugged the car in to search for the fault triggering the ESP ABS and 4WD lights. The fault was found, but since the car was plugged in the break lights are staying on.

I drove the car for over 2000 miles and never had the problem. The previous owners are a nice old couple and they never had the fault either, I'm pretty sure they would have told me.

They are waiting for some feedback from the factory. I qm worried they have caused irreversible damage to the TIPM though
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-07-2017, 08:01 PM

Ok, all worked until the dealership visit.
From your first post i assumed you were importing to the USA. Is the dealership in the UK or France?
Did the dealership try to swap the TIPM with another known good UK version?

I would ask the dealership if they indeed flashed any TSB updates or changed any parameters in either the PCM or TIPM code.

If the dealership did damage the TIPM somehow, i would think you've got a good case for a new free TIPM.
Let us all know what the factory has to say.

post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-19-2017, 06:19 AM Thread Starter

RESOLVED!!!

Two weeks on, and only after having opened a case directly with Jeep, has this matter been resolved. It was all down to dreadful wiring of towbar electricals (so called professional, took 200 English pounds to the previous owner to botch it proper)! Plugging the computer in triggered the TIPM box to dislike it a lot.
Need to get it wired properly now, but won't go to that dealer who took so long to look at the car properly.

Thanks for your help anyhow!
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-20-2017, 10:34 AM

Thanks for the followup!

Who would of ever thought! Bad tow wiring played havoc with the TIPM.
I can half way see why it took the dealership so long to troubleshoot.

This suggests the previous owner had the issue also but.....
.......this is kind of puzzling though.
Quote:
BUT since the computer was plugged in, the three break lights stay on constant.
Anyhow, now you can enjoy driving your Patriot.

post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-22-2017, 04:30 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by moparado View Post
Thanks for the followup!

Anyhow, now you can enjoy driving your Patriot.
Hi, almost, yes. Changed the A/C compressor pulley and accessory belt, now have nice cold A/C and got rid of squeeking belt noise.

Now need to sort out the issue with ABS sensor or tone ring on rear left wheel, but quite a lot of rust on control arms all rear. Might need changing also.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jeep Patriot Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode