Jeep Patriot Forums banner

2010 Patriot pcm malfunction after resetting oil change indicator

2K views 2 replies 2 participants last post by  moparado 
#1 ·
I reset the oil change indicator by depressing the gas pedal 3 times while the ignition was in the on position and the engine off. After the reset I cranked it up and the engine revved up and then went back ro normal but the check engine light came on the ETC light came on. The pcm and the ETC temperature sensor are the codes from the check engine light. Now the oil change indicator is back on and I don't want to reset it. Should I take it to the dealership? I have never seen this type of malfunction before. Any help is appreciated. Thanks

#3 ·
Did you change oil before the reset procedure then double check its the correct oil level?
Its unclear, did the engine jerk and jut prior to this?

If you did change the oil, might have inadvertently knocked loose a connector somewhere, damaged a sensor, etc.
All coincidence? Naah

As a last resort before taking it in to the dealership, try re-setting the pcm by disconnecting the (-) battery terminal and then let it sit for a few hours. This might also get rid of those CEL codes. If the CEL and codes re-appear again with the same symptoms after reconnecting the battery, its probably off to the dealership.

--------------------------
For those who aren't familiar with resetting the 'change oil' indicator:
1.Turn the ignition switch to the ON/RUN position. Do not start the engine.
2.Fully depress the accelerator pedal slowly three times within 10 seconds.
3.Turn the ignition switch to the OFF/LOCK position.
If it doesn't work the first time, try the procedure again.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.