3Likes
  • 1 Post By Ignatz
  • 1 Post By Ignatz
  • 1 Post By Ignatz

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-20-2017, 03:03 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Weird Fog Light Issue?

Spring in eastern NC greeted me with a nice, thick blanket of fog on some of the backroads this morning, so I got to use the fog lights. I noticed something odd though - when I use the turn signal, the fog lights go off. Once the signal resets itself (after the turn is completed) or I turn it off, the fog lights come back on. Maybe I'm just a silly noob, but, I don't think that is supposed to happen...

Any ideas??

2007 Patriot Sport 4x4
2001 Grand Cherokee Limited
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-20-2017, 09:43 PM

Garage
Nah, you're not a silly noob. The fog lights should stay on -- in fact when making a sharp turn the sidespread of the fog lights might even help to illuminate the turn.

My guess is that you've got a short circuit in the signal stalk. I had a couple GM products that had exposed wires so when I use flipped hi/lo beams it was chafing on the wires. At about 50,000 miles my cruise control wouldn't work anymore.

Are you still under warranty? If so, bring it in to your dealer.

Last edited by Ignatz; 03-28-2017 at 07:27 PM. Reason: Spelling
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-21-2017, 07:44 AM Thread Starter

Garage
I tried it again this morning, just to make sure I wasn't doing something dumb, and sure enough, when I use the turn signal the fog lights go off. But - only when I use the right turn signal, not the left. So I'm thinking your idea of a short circuit makes sense.

Unfortunately I am pretty sure that any warranty it may have had would most likely be out by now. It is a 10 year old vehicle and I bought it from an individual, not a dealership. I am pretty sure the issue I am having with the front speakers making weird noises would have been covered under warranty (since I found the letter mailed to the previous owner about it behind the glove compartment when I cleaned it this weekend) but nothing was done about it then and it is well beyond the 50,000 mile mark set in the letter now. I will just have to figure out how to take apart the turn signal stem and the speakers to see if I can fix it myself. It's a chance you take when you buy used from an individual and I made out like a bandit with the first jeep I bought this way so a few issues catching up with me now I'm cool with!

Any suggestions on websites that can help with my task? Otherwise, I'm searching YouTube..

2007 Patriot Sport 4x4

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-21-2017, 01:29 PM

Garage
Yeah, at 10 years you are likely hitting the repair belt. If you're handy you can save a lot of money. Me, I'd just as soon pay to have it done. Its quick and its over with.

I haven't ventured inside a steering wheel since the advent of airbags. In the old days it was a cinch. I'd suggest getting a price from a dealer -- you'll get the whole mechanism but it may save you serial repairs down the road.
Gen0cide likes this.
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-21-2017, 01:37 PM

Garage
PS. After twice having the aforementioned problem with the GM cruise control, I figured out a solution: I cut a fragment of a plastic milk jug into sort of an I-shape and poked it in behind the signal lever between the wires and the sharp metal edges of the steering column. That protected the wires and prevented any grounding. My last GM product with that design was my '93 Olds. I poked that little piece in there when I bought it new and never had the problem. Maybe you can find a simple solution.
Gen0cide likes this.
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-22-2017, 12:31 PM Thread Starter

Garage
I'm going to bother you one more time with this before I start debating the fix it myself or take it to someone issue.. . .

Is there any possibility that it could be fuse related? It seems like it would be in the signal stalk (I also noticed this morning that the dimmer thingie for the inside instrument panel isn't doing anything). I also suppose checking out the fuses wouldn't hurt either, right? I've been obsessing over this today, instead of working.. wondered what the absolute simplest and easiest (and cheapest) fix could possibly be and starting there.

I just REALLY hate having to bring this up to the hubs. The Liberty we had years back had an electrical issue and the dealership spent months and hundreds of dollars trying to chase it down. I can already see the arms crossing and "that look" right before he rolls his eyes at me and declares my desire for another jeep a never ending money pit.. . .. If it's a simple fix I can just do it at work and not tell him!! LOL!!

2007 Patriot Sport 4x4
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-22-2017, 05:23 PM

Garage
I doubt its a fuse. If it was it would blow and you'd have no fog lights or no turn signals. But checking the fuses is simple enough.
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-28-2017, 01:48 PM Thread Starter

Garage
I get paid this Friday... the whole once a month paycheck thing makes it hard to budget...
So I will be ordering a new signal stalk/switch thingie and all new fuses. I am going to change all the fuses out just as a precaution anyway. I have noticed a few other odd things going on (or off) that I want to see if this helps. I don't think the person who owned the patriot before me cared. His father had it before him and I can find religious service records from a jeep dealer up in NY where he was. But once the ownership transferred over 4 months ago or so, absolutely nothing.. I'll go through step by step and see what I can replace/service, even if it isn't quite time to do so.

Hopefully I can find videos or tutorials on how to do some of this stuff or I might be selling off stuff in the house to take it to the dealer! LOL!
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-28-2017, 07:31 PM

Garage
Yeah, monthly pay is tough to deal with. Years ago I worked for a 2-week paycheck. It looked great! I lived like a king the first week and a pauper the next. I've soon learned to budget.
Gen0cide likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jeep Patriot Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode