Lift Gate power lock options - Jeep Patriot Forums
Electrical and Audio Discuss stereos, NAV, general wiring, lighting & GPS

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 02-03-2017, 03:25 PM Thread Starter

Lift Gate power lock options

I replaced the Lift Gate power lock module ( PN 4589131AG ) at just over 5 years.
Yesterday, it failed again, just shy of a year since being replaced with OEM part.

Has anyone found an alternative part/solution to this module which should definitely last longer?

Granted, the lock solenoid is activated with great frequency, especially with primarily short city trips, but so are the door locks and they have not failed.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 02-03-2017, 06:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rblt View Post
I replaced the Lift Gate power lock module ( PN 4589131AG ) at just over 5 years.
Yesterday, it failed again, just shy of a year since being replaced with OEM part.

Has anyone found an alternative part/solution to this module which should definitely last longer?

Granted, the lock solenoid is activated with great frequency, especially with primarily short city trips, but so are the door locks and they have not failed.
Many of us have gone 8-10 years, beyond 125K mi, with no problems, and yes, lots of city driving. Did the solenoid coil go bad, or the mechanism?

Jack Allwardt, Bonney Lake (Tehaleh area), WA; "recovering Californian"; (REPEAT Patriot Owner...'08 Limited and a '16 High Altitude), Retired engineer, US Army veteran, Member: American Legion, Veterans of Foreign Wars, Central Valley Vietnam Veterans, Enumclaw (WA) Lions Club. Former vintage military jeep owner, instrument rated commercial pilot, ag pilot, vintage aircraft restorer and test pilot.
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 02-03-2017, 10:00 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jack.allwardt View Post
Many of us have gone 8-10 years, beyond 125K mi, with no problems, and yes, lots of city driving. Did the solenoid coil go bad, or the mechanism?
I haven't taken it apart yet, it just failed last evening when my wife was leaving her work. As I recall, the previous failure was a sluggish solenoid. At that time I was thinking all I need to replace was the electrical component, but found the replacement part was the entire module. Symptom is the same this time, no sound at all from Lift Gate when unlocking all doors with the FOB, so likely the solenoid. Looks like the replacement part is for something like 2008-2014, so I wonder how the 2015+ part differs...

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 02-15-2017, 05:14 PM Thread Starter

Good news - Mopar parts carry a two year warranty.
I received a replacement part no-charge, replaced it last weekend and all is good once again.

I found that the old part would function when gate not latched, albeit a bit sluggishly, similar to the previous failure.
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 02-17-2017, 05:26 PM

Send a message via AIM to Josephh Send a message via MSN to Josephh
you should insist on OEM, cuz aftermarket is worse. and like rblt said, OEM has warranty, so take advantage of it
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jeep Patriot Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode