The 4WD Audio Build - Jeep Patriot Forums
Electrical and Audio Discuss stereos, NAV, general wiring, lighting & GPS

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 96 (permalink) Old 05-09-2014, 08:51 PM Thread Starter

The 4WD Audio Build

I'm planning a MAJOR audio overhaul from my current sound system. More details are soon to come...

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

Street Yuppie That Ain't Afraid To Kick It Into 4 Wheel

MODS: Black Billet 14" Antenna, Plasti-Dipped Emblems, Tinted Windows, Red LED Dome Lights, Draw Tite Class III/IV Receiver Hitch, Rugged Ridge Floor Mats, Alpine/JL Audio Build (Pushing 1500W RMS to 11 speakers running off of 2 batteries)

Keeping it a REAL JEEP since 11/9/15: Pro Comp 7032 16x8 Wheels, 225/75R16 Goodyear Wrangler Duratracs, RRO 2 1/8" lift kit.

Last edited by The4WDPatriot; 05-11-2014 at 05:05 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 96 (permalink) Old 05-09-2014, 08:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The4WDPatriot View Post
I'm planning a MAJOR audio overhaul from my current sound system. More details are soon to come...

Well, that answers my question. I hear ya......

Yes, the economy has gotten better....
post #3 of 96 (permalink) Old 05-09-2014, 09:01 PM
Equal Opportunity Mod

Garage
When do you plan on releasing more info?

LONESTAR MK'S/STREET JEEPS

Viper alarm,Kenwood in dash dvd,Pioneer 800 watt amp,Pioneer 12" subwoofer,3m tinted windows,euro shorty antenna,18x8.0"Kmc Rockstar rims,H&r springs,Hankook optimo h727 tires 225/55,Mopar cargo mat,compass shift knob,(jeep) steering wheel cover,vht tail lights & turn signals,avs vent visors,k&n air filter,60 series flowmaster,3.5" flo_pro tip,black pipes,3"nerf bars,cross bars,green led interior,Rugged ridge matts,jeeppatriot stickerlasti-dipped badges & grill

post #4 of 96 (permalink) Old 05-09-2014, 09:18 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by 480KREEPIN View Post
When do you plan on releasing more info?

When I finalize my research and place my order on Sunday

MODS: Black Billet 14" Antenna, Plasti-Dipped Emblems, Tinted Windows, Red LED Dome Lights, Draw Tite Class III/IV Receiver Hitch, Rugged Ridge Floor Mats, Alpine/JL Audio Build (Pushing 1500W RMS to 11 speakers running off of 2 batteries)

Keeping it a REAL JEEP since 11/9/15: Pro Comp 7032 16x8 Wheels, 225/75R16 Goodyear Wrangler Duratracs, RRO 2 1/8" lift kit.
post #5 of 96 (permalink) Old 05-11-2014, 04:58 PM Thread Starter

EXTRA EXTRA READ ALL ABOUT IT

Just placed my order and here is an exhaustive list of everything I'm adding (with prices per crutchfield.com&manufacture's website)
SPEAKERS/HEADUNIT/AMP:

Alpine CDE-HD148BT HEADUNIT($249.99)
Alpine PDX-V9 AMP ($699.99)
2 Pairs of Alpine SPR-69 DOOR SPEAKERS (199.99*2)
EDIT: Sold them and swapped them out for Alpine's SPR-60 speakers
2 Pairs of Alpine SPR-10TW TWEETERS ($119.99*2)
JL Audio HO110-W6v3 Single 10" Enclosure SUBWOOFER ($599.99)

WIRING & ACCESSORIES:

4 Packages of Metra IBCFSQ10PKC Terminals FSpade Prs ($1.99*4)
Pro.Fit DM 45-33 Wire Worm Tool - 48" long by 3/8" width ($12.99)
EDIT: This thing was absolutely worthless.
JL Audio SGR-10W6v2/v3 10" Woofer Grille ($13.99)
RF RFFM100 100amp MAXI Platinum Plated Wafer Fuse - 2 pack ($4.99)
Alpine RUX-KNOB ($29.99)
3 Sets of Rockford Fosgate RFIT-16 16 feet Premium Dual Twist Signal Cable (3*$36.99)
EDIT: I used these and they were alright but I ended up swapping to Stinger's 8000 series cables and the sound quality is no comparison.
JL Audio XD-BTS Battery Terminal - Positive or Negative ($19.95)
2 Sets of JL Audio XC-BCSC12-25 25ft/7.6m Blue/Clear 12 AWG, Parallel Conductor Premium Speaker Cable (2*$34.95)
JL Audio XD-PCS4-1B 4 AWG Premium Series Amplifier Power Connection Kit ($119.95)

GRAND TOTAL:$2580.62

Now for some installation details
The sub will be mounted on the right side of the trunk and I plan or rigging the cubby on that side to hold my amp. I am also going to mount tweeters at ear level in the rear and front of the Patriot. Once I do the install (probably the end of next week) I will post TONS of pictures. Stay tuned...

Last edited by The4WDPatriot; 05-31-2014 at 11:32 PM.
post #6 of 96 (permalink) Old 05-11-2014, 05:22 PM

Wow! $2.2K++!! Did you get a hell of a tax refund, or is there a convenience store that was recently robbed??!! All kidding aside, that's a major investment--hell my first house didn't cost that much! Let's have DAILY progress reports...

Jack Allwardt, Bonney Lake (Tehaleh area), WA; "recovering Californian"; (REPEAT Patriot Owner...'08 Limited and a '16 High Altitude), Retired engineer, US Army veteran, Member: American Legion, Veterans of Foreign Wars, Central Valley Vietnam Veterans, Enumclaw (WA) Lions Club. Former vintage military jeep owner, instrument rated commercial pilot, ag pilot, vintage aircraft restorer and test pilot.
post #7 of 96 (permalink) Old 05-11-2014, 05:26 PM
Not Sponsored

Good luck with the install. Can't wait to see how it comes out.

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

post #8 of 96 (permalink) Old 05-11-2014, 06:42 PM
Not Sponsored

I seriously hope you didn't pay those prices. I really hope.

Headunit - $183.54 + $8 shipping.
http://www.amazon.com/Alpine-CDE-HD148BT-Receiver-built-Bluetooth/dp/B00CF5I0LY
Amp - $428.94
http://www.amazon.com/Alpine-PDX-V9-4-Channel-Extreme-AMplifier/dp/B007VSXGOQ
Speakers - $99.97 (2)
http://www.amazon.com/ALPINE-SPR-69-2-WAY-COAXIAL-SPEAKERS/dp/B004WWNSMO
Tweeters - $69.99 (2)
http://www.amazon.com/Alpine-SPR-10TW-1-inch-Component-Tweeters/dp/B0066D5NZM

= $960.4

Even for just those few items, I already shaved $790 off.
I didn't even check other sites, just simply checked amazon. Also, if you run 4 tweeters, your staging is going to be terribly off unless they are mounted perfect.
Your sound stage is supposed to be completely in front of you, besides a sub. Most people pouring this much into their system actually don't run speakers in there rear doors, or anything past their seat to avoid sound staging issues. The idea is to have the sound coming from the dash, almost like the music is being played on your hood live.

I'm not here to bash, I just really wanted you to know quantity doesn't buy quality nor does price.

Also, amp volume knobs actually cause your sound to be muddy. They control the gain on your amp rather than the actual volume. You'd be better off running gain off the equalizer on the HU.

Last edited by Creation; 05-11-2014 at 06:49 PM.
post #9 of 96 (permalink) Old 05-11-2014, 07:12 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Creation View Post
I seriously hope you didn't pay those prices. I really hope.

Headunit - $183.54 + $8 shipping.
http://www.amazon.com/Alpine-CDE-HD1.../dp/B00CF5I0LY

Amp - $428.94
http://www.amazon.com/Alpine-PDX-V9-.../dp/B007VSXGOQ

Speakers - $99.97 (2)
http://www.amazon.com/ALPINE-SPR-69-.../dp/B004WWNSMO

Tweeters - $69.99 (2)
http://www.amazon.com/Alpine-SPR-10T.../dp/B0066D5NZM

= $960.4

Even for just those few items, I already shaved $790 off.
I didn't even check other sites, just simply checked amazon. Also, if you run 4 tweeters, your staging is going to be terribly off unless they are mounted perfect.
Your sound stage is supposed to be completely in front of you, besides a sub. Most people pouring this much into their system actually don't run speakers in there rear doors, or anything past their seat to avoid sound staging issues. The idea is to have the sound coming from the dash, almost like the music is being played on your hood live.

I'm not here to bash, I just really wanted you to know quantity doesn't buy quality nor does price.

Also, amp volume knobs actually cause your sound to be muddy. They control the gain on your amp rather than the actual volume. You'd be better off running gain off the equalizer on the HU.

Lol you busted my secret. I did actually bargain hunt from those sites I was gonna post all my savings in a later post :P Ended up actually being around $1600 by the time I shopped around. As for the sound stage, my idea is to place/aim the speakers so that you can't tell where each of the sounds come from, rather, it is one blended sound comprised of accurately produced notes. And plus, I carry people with me all the time and I'm sure they would be disappointed to find out that they got skipped on the speakers. I feel like having sound coming from all around me makes the sound immersive since radio isn't encoded in surround like movies and sound played through a home theatre system. I'm hoping everything works out but it may be a bit of trial and error. I'm hoping between my dad's competition stereo building experience, the internet, and your advice I can have one heck of a good sounding Patriot.

post #10 of 96 (permalink) Old 05-11-2014, 07:29 PM Thread Starter

I've always liked "rear fill"...

post #11 of 96 (permalink) Old 05-11-2014, 08:13 PM
Mopar or no car!!!

Wow very nice build idea!! I can't wait to see your work.

I'm really curious how you like those 6x9 speakers paired with the tweeters. I really want to add some tweeters up front in mine.

And whoa that sub looks awesome! I bet it makes a lot of great sound for being somewhat compact. If I ever get a huge itch for more bass I might have to get something like that JL.

2013 Jeep Patriot Limited, 2WD, CVT, 2.4L, uConnect230 --- K&N filter, Curt Class III Hitch w/ Spare Bumper, Mopar Oil Cooler, Cooper AT3 225/70/16, Boston Acoustics 6x9", JBL Tweeters, GTMat, Kicker Hideaway 8", Viper 2-way Alarm, Fiamm FWY Blaster Horn, Cobra DX19IV CB Radio, 20% Front Tint, 5% Rear Tint, Rugged Ridge mats, Splash Guards, Philips Xtreme Headlights, DD XML2 Fog Lights 5000k, Optima Red Top, Front Tow Hooks, JEEPPATRIOT.COM sticker
post #12 of 96 (permalink) Old 05-11-2014, 08:20 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by SREJECT View Post
Wow very nice build idea!! I can't wait to see your work.

I'm really curious how you like those 6x9 speakers paired with the tweeters. I really want to add some tweeters up front in mine.

And whoa that sub looks awesome! I bet it makes a lot of great sound for being somewhat compact. If I ever get a huge itch for more bass I might have to get something like that JL.

Thanks for the support! I'll definitely post lots of pics and sound reviews once everything goes in. My idea is to balance and have accurately produced lows, crip mids, and perky highs throughout the entire vehicle.

And yes, I did a lot of research before deciding on a sub. I wanted something with strong bass but not a noise rattle machine.

post #13 of 96 (permalink) Old 05-12-2014, 10:10 AM

I was about to say if you payed all of that.. Idk if i would even be upset for you.. ha. With $2,500 I could have a competition system.

Current Mods:
Outside: TAG Rear Bumper with Shackles, Smoked Head & Tail lights, Plasti-dip Emblems/Front Grill, 14" Black Antenna, Mopar Cross bars, Yakima Roof Basket, RRO Winch Mount, RRO Front Bumper, 2 Hella Off Road Lights, Smittybilt XRC8 Winch, 16" Pro Comp 32 Series wheels, 235-70-16 Toyo AT tires, 20% Front Window Tints
Inside: Pioneer Touch Screen X2600BT, Powerbass 3000.1 Amp, 15" Re Audio SE/X Subwoofer, Smittybilt Trail Axe, Smittybilt Rut Shovel
O|||||||O
post #14 of 96 (permalink) Old 05-12-2014, 10:12 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiefPatriot View Post
I was about to say if you payed all of that.. Idk if i would even be upset for you.. ha. With $2,500 I could have a competition system.

My goal is to have something near competition level/quality while not breaking the bank, and with my setup I think I will achieve that.

post #15 of 96 (permalink) Old 05-12-2014, 10:37 AM

Yeah man its going to sound sweet for sure. I just bought a new sub a 15" RE audio SE. Powering it to my powerbass 1500.1 amp. Its gonna be stupid loud.. lol. If all goes as planned im hoping to get it installed friday or maybe even saturday. I'm pumped.

Current Mods:
Outside: TAG Rear Bumper with Shackles, Smoked Head & Tail lights, Plasti-dip Emblems/Front Grill, 14" Black Antenna, Mopar Cross bars, Yakima Roof Basket, RRO Winch Mount, RRO Front Bumper, 2 Hella Off Road Lights, Smittybilt XRC8 Winch, 16" Pro Comp 32 Series wheels, 235-70-16 Toyo AT tires, 20% Front Window Tints
Inside: Pioneer Touch Screen X2600BT, Powerbass 3000.1 Amp, 15" Re Audio SE/X Subwoofer, Smittybilt Trail Axe, Smittybilt Rut Shovel
O|||||||O
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jeep Patriot Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode