Jeep Patriot Forums banner

Steering Rack gone bad anyone?

13K views 8 replies 6 participants last post by  mfoley13 
#1 ·
I have been experiencing some clunks. If I wiggle my steering wheel left/right I can hear the clunk. I can hear clunks when going over any potholes. The End links changed to fix another clunk, ball joints, outter tie rod are tight, no play. I even removed the boot and confirmed inner tie rods are are fine, no play.

This only comes down to the steering rack. Any suggestions?
Anyone with this issue?
Power steering fluid is full, no leaks whatsoever.

2007 FWD 95000km.

Thanks,

#2 ·
sway bar bushings.
control arm bushings.
maybe

#3 ·
Yup, checked that also. one thing to mention...

When I hold the tie rod and wiggle the steering wheel while the tires are on the ground, I can feel the clunk noise on the Tie Rod stick, Thats what made me believe its the inner tie rod, so we removed the rubber boot to find there is also no play either with the inner tie rod, so it leaves us to believe its the steering rack!

Please help with suggestions.

Thanks,

#4 ·
How about the rack mounts or the universal joint on the steering rack shaft?

#6 ·
Yes i had my Rack and pinion changed out at i think about 56000 miles. But i was in Alaska and that cold reeks havik on any car up there. But the whole thing started as a squeal when i turned left or right. It just kept getting worse and worse! So when i got back down from Alaska a look allot closer and i just had a leek in the pinion. So i taken it to a shop and thay said thay will have to change the rack and pinion all at once. Then the clunking started to happen after thay changed the stuff out. So i went back like a week later and said look i got this work done here and its allot more noise now then it was before. What the hell is going on here. I guess they forgot to tighten down a bolt in the pinion and thats what the noise was. But Thats my storie!!

Hope all goes well with yours!!! That would have been a 1200 dollar ordeal if i dident have a worrenty!!!

Reactions: theGarinator
#9 ·
I had a popping during turns that I tried to blame on something other than a steering rack. After replacing struts, sway bar links, and inner/outer tie rods it left the rack as the only probable cause. I replaced it and the problem is fixed.

I followed the service manual. Yes, I did have to lower the subframe a few inches in the back to provide removal clearance. There are four bolts that need to come out to do this. I didn't remove the front engine mount bolt; just loosened the two support member bolts underneath it. I took a picture of the subframe to show how much it is lowered. Also took a picture of the engine mount to show why it has to come out - it wraps around the rack.

Attachments

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.