Larger Tires Effect on Warranty & Trade-in? - Jeep Patriot Forums
Suspension and Tires Bigger Tires? Lifts? Discuss it here!
Sponsored by Discount Tire

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-23-2011, 04:04 PM Thread Starter

Larger Tires Effect on Warranty & Trade-in?

I am thinking that I would eventually like to install a lift and some larger diameter quality Off Road capable tires. In discussing this possibility with dealers when I was vehicle shopping, I found their reaction interesting and was wondering what the truth really is.

Dealer comments about suspension lifts varied widely but I think that basically the feeling is that warranty coverage would only be adversely affected for problems that could be directly caused by the lift, including no coverage for the new suspension components themselves of course.

However, the dealer consensus was that over-sized tires will lower trade value significantly and would prevent me from signing the Federal Odometer Accuracy Declaration under penalty for perjury. Furthermore, they mentioned early loss of all warranty coverage since it would no longer be possible to ensure the accuracy of the odometer reading, which is the sole basis for determining eligibility for much of the warranty coverage.

I do see where my extended warranty contract states very specifically that installation of over-sized tires will void the extended warranty coverage in its entirety. One of the dealers told me that even if I just brought my Jeep in for an oil change, if oversize tires were detected, that it would be noted in my vehicle record.

So is this all a bunch of bs or what?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-23-2011, 05:11 PM

Well different animal, but my last TJ I was given MORE money for my trade due to the lift and tires. I don't recall there be any issue about the odometer reading, but on my last TJ and this current TJ both speedos are overly optimistic according to my GPS and those radar things they have on the side of the road. So from the factory their odometers are wrong on the Wranglers. My charger seems to be spot on at all legal speeds though.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-23-2011, 06:28 PM

Send a message via MSN to Afmcronnie
So you give them the 8~10% on mileage. Best bet is have the dealer do the lift and tires. My dealer will do a coil lift and tires/rims and continue the factory warranty. Plus a lifetime warranty on the lift kit. Not cheap, but they do it.

EARTH FIRST! (We'll Jeep the other planets later)

My Jeep won a war. Your Honda cuts my grass...

The Earth is covered 80% by water, Jeep covers the rest.

Many vehicles will get you into remote places, a Wrangler will get you home....
post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-23-2011, 10:24 PM

The dealer has the ability to recalibrate your odometer and speedometer.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-24-2011, 11:29 AM Thread Starter

Actually a couple of the dealers I had talked to told me they could NOT recalibrate for tires that are larger than OEM. If you know that this is untrue and that I should argue with my dealer about this, please let me know.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-24-2011, 11:36 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Afmcronnie View Post
So you give them the 8~10% on mileage. Best bet is have the dealer do the lift and tires. My dealer will do a coil lift and tires/rims and continue the factory warranty. Plus a lifetime warranty on the lift kit. Not cheap, but they do it.
Yeah, 1 of the 5 local dealers I had visited seemed very much into doing lifts, but my dealer, the only one that had 5-speed 4wd Latitudes in stock, seemed least receptive to the idea.

I would be happy to "give them 8-10% on mileage" but will they have to accept that, or can they play hard ball on warranty claims anyway, and if so, would I have any recourse?
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-25-2011, 01:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davlud2 View Post
Actually a couple of the dealers I had talked to told me they could NOT recalibrate for tires that are larger than OEM. If you know that this is untrue and that I should argue with my dealer about this, please let me know.
this is for a TJ, so maybe the MK is more difficult. But the key here is the guy has 32" tires (factory are around 30" at the tallest) and 4.56 gears (4.10s were in the Rubicon, but this year Jeep had something taller), yet he was able to get the speedo gear from his Jeep dealer.

http://www.stu-offroad.com/engine/speedo/speed1.htm
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jeep Patriot Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode