Rear Upper Control Arms (and their bushings) - Jeep Patriot Forums
Suspension and Tires Bigger Tires? Lifts? Discuss it here!
Sponsored by Discount Tire

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-27-2010, 08:31 PM Thread Starter

Rear Upper Control Arms (and their bushings)

I am new to the forum, and am trying to determine how hard of a job it is to replace the rear upper control arms on a 2008 Jeep Patriot Sport 4WD 2.4L 4cyl. The bushings connecting the control arm to the hub (I think it's the hub at least) are worn out, and hence the rear tires are loose and the vehicle won't pass inspection.

I did a pretty thorough search using google of this forum and nothing came up that was even closely related.

The vehicle only has 75K on it, and this seems like a 250K problem so that's annoying... but anyway... that's another story.

Here is a picture of the part. The photo is rotated 90 degrees counter clockwise from how it should be, but the control arm (with orientation references as pictured) is on the left center and is curling up and toward the top of the picture. It connects to the frame just out of sight, and then connect (i think) to the hub behind the rotor more or less in the center of the picture.

and here's a closeup

I feel like it should be a piece of cake to jack up the vehicle, put a jack stand under the rest of the suspension, unbolt the control arms, put in new control arms (and hence new bushings) and be done. But suspensions scare me. I feel like there is a distinct possibility I'll unbolt the control arms and stuff will start flying everywhere, or at the very least i'll end up being in a huge fight with the spring.

The dealership wanted 800$ for the job (200$ for 2 control arms, and something like 6-8 hours of labor).

The parts cost 150$ at another dealer across town and they were saying 1.1 hours per control arm. So with the varying opinions and blatant lies being exposed, at this point the job seems very doable to me. Any advice is GREATLY appreciated!!

On a related note, I have tried repeatedly to obtain a haynes repair manual or equivalent for my vehicle but with no luck. This would at least give me an idea of this problem... does anyone know if such a thing exists?

Thanks and sorry for jumping in right into this forum with a question.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-27-2010, 10:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gpetrics View Post

Thanks and sorry for jumping in right into this forum with a question.
hey, at least you jumped in with some pictures!

You'll find details here.

Everyone of us who's lifted their patriot (100+ members?) has replaced the UCA. It's pretty simple to do, but much easier if you have suspension pins. Basically, steel tapered pins 8"-12" long that help you line up the assembly to get the bolts back in.
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-27-2010, 11:01 PM

I'm not sure, but I think you'll be able to remove the control arms without removing the struts from the lower control arms. Getting the strut back on the lower control arm is the tricky part!

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-27-2010, 11:13 PM Thread Starter

i thought i might get a "it's doable" response... didn't expect THAT. thanks so much. i guess i know what i'm doing this friday!

thanks!

sounds like the UCR is a real problem in the rear then if you all are doing it. just around here in VT the parts stores are making it sound like even just on road drivers are having a problem. wonder if jeep will do anything about it?

not sure if you're a mod or not heckler, but you might want to throw some more keywords/tags into that GREAT RR write up *someone on here did. it wasn't showing up on google for some basic keyword searches. just a thought since i do some web dev on the side...

Last edited by gpetrics; 10-27-2010 at 11:31 PM.
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-27-2010, 11:15 PM

nope, not my writeup. I just keep all the keywords in my head and know where to point people when they ask.
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-27-2010, 11:17 PM

oh, no, no, no...

We're all doing it because we put a 2" lift into the suspension for more ground clearance!

http://www.rocky-road.com/patriotsus.html
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-27-2010, 11:30 PM Thread Starter

yeah i get it... i know you guys are lifting... even though i'm not going to do that (it's just a road car for me alas... to get to work no less... sigh...) the writeup just gives me a great sense that the UCR is easy enough to get out and replace... that's all i'm saying.

but yeah thanks for the link anyway. that's rock solid help.
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-28-2010, 12:48 PM

Send a message via MSN to todde702
That's the rear toe link so you'll need an alignment afterwards. Let us know how it turns out!

-Todd
08 Sport 4x4 FDI Silver, CRD Stu's Coil Springs, Mud Flaps, Weathertech vent shades, TAG Rear Bumper
Carr Lightwing, Pilot Navigator Driving Lights, K&N Air Filter and a jp.com decal

Quote:
"Nothing is either good or bad, but thinking makes it so."
- William Shakespeare

"I swear to drunk I'm not God!"
- Anonymous
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-28-2010, 02:47 PM

I was going to recommend an alignment as well, but I don't think the stock toe links are adjustable. How can you do an alignment?
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-28-2010, 11:38 PM

Send a message via MSN to todde702
I'm pretty sure the toe-link uses a cam washer. I pointed it out on one of his photos, but I'd have to look at mine to make sure. It sure looks like a cam washer to me though.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	ToeLink.jpg
Views:	9250
Size:	49.1 KB
ID:	7297  

-Todd
08 Sport 4x4 FDI Silver, CRD Stu's Coil Springs, Mud Flaps, Weathertech vent shades, TAG Rear Bumper
Carr Lightwing, Pilot Navigator Driving Lights, K&N Air Filter and a jp.com decal

Quote:
"Nothing is either good or bad, but thinking makes it so."
- William Shakespeare

"I swear to drunk I'm not God!"
- Anonymous
post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-16-2017, 10:02 PM

Hello fine Jeep owners First time ever on a forum. I have a 2013 2.4 2WD Patriot. I did some uh unintentional off roading. It has since been backing noise in the back tires when I turn. Should I replace both uppers and lowers. And how hard is it?
post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old Yesterday, 11:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mandy-Sue Williams View Post
Hello fine Jeep owners First time ever on a forum. I have a 2013 2.4 2WD Patriot. I did some uh unintentional off roading. It has since been backing noise in the back tires when I turn. Should I replace both uppers and lowers. And how hard is it?
Both are easy and fairly cheap. As long as it's not your toe links you won't need an alignment, but you may consider adjustable upper arms if you ever plan on lifting, then you might as well do the toe links at the same time and drive straight to your alignment shop and let them know you have adjustable upper arms too.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jeep Patriot Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode