tapping/clicking at 55mph and faster... - Jeep Patriot Forums
Suspension and Tires Bigger Tires? Lifts? Discuss it here!
Sponsored by Discount Tire

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 04-16-2017, 07:43 PM Thread Starter

tapping/clicking at 55mph and faster...

so i just noticed a faint tapping/clicking when on the highway at 55mph and higher with windows up. seems to go away though the faster i go but it's still there it seems but fainter. it's worst at 55mph.. i just was up at the mountain and the road is rough- need 4x4/awd to get up there due to steep and gravel. i thought maybe a branch was stuck underneath so i checked under neath and see nothing stuck anywhere like a branch or rock etc. i never bottom out or anything.

the noise stays same if i push the clutch in and put in neutral while moving at 55/60 mph. once under 55mph i don't hear it. doesn't seem to be affected by gear or engine. as i said, does it in neutral. almost sounds like and exhaust leak but doesn't change with engine rpms....also, i only hear when windows up. had ac on so turned off and noise still there- turned fan off too and still there.

doesn't sound like a power train issue to me but who knows.

the speed doesn't seem to affect it as far as the frequency of the tapping so going 55mph and 65 sounds same but at 65 it's fainter.

I put the mirrors in, wound windows back up, still there.

ran windshield wipers, still there.

no rocks in tires.

tires look good.

i did recently go thru a car wash that i usually do not go through- the cloth type with the blower at end- i won't ever do that again as the hood deflector really vibrated alot as did the wipers. the hood deflector is all tight- checked it good, as are my angry bird eyes.

i am at a loss here.

any thoughts?

thanks!

2013 patriot sport 4x4 2.4 5spd FD1 True Blue, Willy's Overland edition
215/70R16 Yoko Geo ATS on Drag 9s, a/c
front and rear wet okole seat covers, front and rear rugged ridge floor mats, cargo cover,cargo carpet, front custom cut splash guards, rear window crank rattle-delete mod.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 04-19-2017, 03:26 PM Thread Starter

checked all over and nothing seems out of whack. the only thing maybe was the coiled plastic hose cover that goes over the power steering hose underneath. One end was not all the way around the hose so i put it back how it should be.

another observation-

hitting the brakes or letting off gas makes it louder.

perhaps it is a vibration of some sort and with the body shifting back when driving wind is doing something funny?

also, i jsut replaced the brakes and rotors and the noise hasn't changed.

could this be a wheel bearing starting to go? it sounds metal on metal almost like an engine tap but as i said, i can put in neutral and rev and its fine and rpms don't affect it when moving and it only does it 55mph and higher.

thanks!

front and rear wet okole seat covers, front and rear rugged ridge floor mats, cargo cover,cargo carpet, front custom cut splash guards, rear window crank rattle-delete mod.
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 04-19-2017, 03:36 PM Thread Starter

so i think i found a possible cause. the drivers front tire's tpms is quite loose and knocks when i go in any direction. The other 3 are tighter with one other tire having a sort of loose one.

i suppose i will go to where i got the tires and see abt them tightening them up....

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 04-24-2017, 04:57 PM Thread Starter

so it seems to be something that after driving it for a bit, start happening. the tire place did the fronts and backs and i believe it's still clicking. i bought for new engine splash shield clips where they are used inside fenders to secure to body and replaced them. that area is nice and tight now whereas before it would clank a little if you pushed up on the center of the sheild underneath. not sure if this is it or not but will know next time i drive the jeep...

regarding the tpms, the said they replaced the fronts but when i got home, the rears were just as loose as the fronts were before so i suspect they merely rotated the tires around- against my wishes. they said they did not but what a coincidence that the rears all of a sudden loosened up where before they always were tight.

anyhow, they did the rears too.

i think it still clicks some but not 100% sure.

post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 04-24-2017, 05:54 PM

Check for play in your cv axle joints.

if it is a ticking noise and it speeds up when your speed increases, its either tires, brakes, or axles.

2012 FDII Patriot - Sold
1989 Cherokee Pioneer - 3.5" MC lift
http://aicproductionblog.com/support-this-page/
http://www.youtube.com/c/aicoffroadvideo
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jeep Patriot Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode