replaced brakes and struts, what a pain! - Jeep Patriot Forums
Suspension and Tires Bigger Tires? Lifts? Discuss it here!
Sponsored by Discount Tire

1Likes
  • 1 Post By Gbannish

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 2 (permalink) Old 04-14-2017, 08:44 AM Thread Starter

replaced brakes and struts, what a pain!

I just replaced the front and rear struts, and brake pads/rotors, on my wife's 2011 jeep patriot with 40k miles. It went ok, just took me forever because I'm slow as molasses and just bought the struts (had to compress the springs). What I noticed was that the old struts all seemed just fine. I had a heck of a time getting rear struts back in, had to watch a youtube video of someone doing it with a dodge caliber (removed the rear endlink and another big bolt (sorry, don't know what is called), and then the whole lower arm falls down making it easier). The brake pads also did not need changing, had 50% life left. I followed the South Main Auto youtube advice on cleaning the brake calipers, especially where the metal clips go into, and greasing that area, even beneath the metal clips, and putting in new metal clips. I also greased the caliper pins, both on front, but only 1 on the rear because the other rear one could not be removed unless you first remove the brake line (and I did not have a banjo(?) fitting for replacement). I was fairly pissed that the engineers would design it that way, and seriously doubt any repair shop would re-grease those caliper pins due to being such a pain. The only place that really needed attention was the rear caliper, had kind of stuck and was not sliding. Oh, and I was unpleasantly surprised to see how much general rust had started to appear, probably due to the last 2 winters of road salt here in NJ.
north likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 (permalink) Old 04-16-2017, 01:36 AM
Use the SEARCH feature

At least the spark plugs are easy

Truckin' the bread all over your @$$!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jeep Patriot Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode