Explain like I'm 5 - Jeep Patriot Forums
Suspension and Tires Bigger Tires? Lifts? Discuss it here!
Sponsored by Discount Tire

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 48 (permalink) Old 03-27-2016, 01:47 AM Thread Starter

Explain like I'm 5

First, apologies if it has already been explained/asked, please realize I'm new to Jeeps and 4x4's in general, so I am a beginner on this subject. Anyhow, from the research I've done there are only a couple or so lift kits that are able to be put on the Jeep Patriot. Why is this? Or I guess, why is it uncommon to see a Patriot with a high lift when I have seen Jeep Liberty's and other non-wranglers with insane lifts?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 48 (permalink) Old 03-27-2016, 07:43 AM
Banned

There's not that much of an aftermarket for the big guys to go after. There is a 3rd coming on line soon. 1.5" to keep your driveline healthy, but this one will include struts matched to the springs for improved control, ride and capability, and increased payload for off the beaten path adventures!
post #3 of 48 (permalink) Old 03-27-2016, 11:10 AM

Due to the independent suspension, fwd based driveline, 2" is all the lift you can do, and even then it's pushing it. And that's all you need since the largest tire you'll want to ever fit is a 30" tire, and the 2" is plenty to clear it.

2012 FDII Patriot - Sold
1989 Cherokee Pioneer - 3.5" MC lift
http://aicproductionblog.com/support-this-page/
http://www.youtube.com/c/aicoffroadvideo

post #4 of 48 (permalink) Old 03-27-2016, 11:13 AM

Please tell me more about this third option that's gonna give 1.5 inches of lift....
post #5 of 48 (permalink) Old 03-27-2016, 01:21 PM
Unsponsored Baja racer

Garage
Kojack has(after insulting me for my ideas for a build) decided to convince a company to modify a lift they make for the Mitsubishi Outlander(same platform as us) for the Patriot. Gonna include extra toys to keep it aligned and everything I guess, but they won't be extending the axles for better clearance, like I want to do when my time comes.

Trekkie, trucker, Jeeper, potential racer. Don't touch my trumpets.
"For God so loved the world that He sent His only begotten Son, that all who believe in him might not perish but have eternal life" -John 3:16
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KOb8IEyCO1o
post #6 of 48 (permalink) Old 03-27-2016, 02:38 PM
Banned

Rossoracer, YOU have NO IDEA who I am talking to...and its not anyone who makes lifts for mistubishis, I can assure you that. I have no idea where you get your mis information....This company makes JEEP/Chrysler products only. And I didn't convince....they came looking for me...There is a big difference in asking and having someone come looking for you!

I am not insulting you. I am telling you FACTS something that you fail to listen to. You just insist on NOT listening to FACTS.

YOu remind me of the famous quote from mythbusters, "I reject your reality and substitute my own".

Again, Good luck, I still have my ticket booked for this years BAJA. I will be waiting for you at the finish line.

Last edited by kojack; 03-27-2016 at 03:07 PM.
post #7 of 48 (permalink) Old 03-27-2016, 02:45 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by csuthrower04 View Post
Please tell me more about this third option that's gonna give 1.5 inches of lift....
I cannot give company names, but I have been discussing stuff with them. Deciding to keep at 1.5" is better for driveline longevity, adding in some new well built control arms with greasable bushings etc will give more strength and wear out of them. They will be more than likely CNC cut for strength and consistency. Rubber bushings will be the flavor for the bushings as poly is way to squeaky and hard for complaint ride. As for the shocks/struts, some discussion of monotube SSV setup is being tossed around.

Its in development, and I should be getting a test kit this spring/summer to test out.

There are other products in development too NOT just a lift.

Last edited by kojack; 03-27-2016 at 03:05 PM.
post #8 of 48 (permalink) Old 03-27-2016, 02:51 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by RossoRacer View Post
Kojack has(after insulting me for my ideas for a build) decided to convince a company to modify a lift they make for the Mitsubishi Outlander(same platform as us) for the Patriot. Gonna include extra toys to keep it aligned and everything I guess, but they won't be extending the axles for better clearance, like I want to do when my time comes.
BTW, FYI, I am getting something made that's realistic and useful. Not in LA LA land!

ALSO, As ANOTHER BTW<FYI, There are other products being developed as well. Are all of them Mitsubishi parts as well. Maybe you should do some research before your speak..

Last edited by kojack; 03-27-2016 at 03:06 PM.
post #9 of 48 (permalink) Old 03-27-2016, 04:04 PM

So at least a year away for the general public??
post #10 of 48 (permalink) Old 03-27-2016, 04:14 PM
Banned

It depends on how fast they can get finished with the current platform they are working on. If I have it in my possession by may, I would guess an august / September time line.
post #11 of 48 (permalink) Old 03-28-2016, 06:40 PM

All that trouble to Cnc cut arms, 12 months of testing, and only a 1.5" lift??? You could put a beer can in between the strut to gain 1.5"....Put me on the do not call list on that one. Haha, let us know when we can get a real lift, say 4-5"? I don't care if it costs upwards of 2k-3k, for 4" it would be worth it. IMO, a 1.5" lift would be worth maybe 99 dollars and a cheaper option then the rro.

2012 Jeep Patriot 4x4 2.4L sport.
*RRO Lift *245/70r16 Cooper Discover ATP Tires *16x7 Crager Soft 8s *20" LED bar *50" curved LED bar *Kenwood 6x9 4 way speakers front/rear *Brakelight mod *K&N air filter *8" shorty antenna *Limo tint *Jerry can / *Hi Lift hitch mounted system *limb risers *Smittybilt overlander RTT

I support the 2nd amendment.
post #12 of 48 (permalink) Old 03-28-2016, 09:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 98rangerdave View Post
IMO, a 1.5" lift would be worth maybe 99 dollars and a cheaper option then the rro.
Here's the cheapest 1.5" lift I've seen here so far:
Honest reviews of the RRO Lift Kit - Personal Experience

1.5" ATV wheel spacers screwed on to the strut mount studs, 1.5" thick spacers made from polyurethane stock, and adjustable upper rear control arm bushings.

15" Ravine Rims, 235/75/15 Duratracs, CRDSTU coils, JKS Quicker Disconnects, Airbox Baffle Mod., Midland 822 CB w/ 2' Firestik II, Weathertec floor liners.

Last edited by Sandstone; 03-28-2016 at 09:22 PM.
post #13 of 48 (permalink) Old 03-29-2016, 04:13 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
All that trouble to Cnc cut arms, 12 months of testing, and only a 1.5" lift??? You could put a beer can in between the strut to gain 1.5"....Put me on the do not call list on that one. Haha, let us know when we can get a real lift, say 4-5"? I don't care if it costs upwards of 2k-3k, for 4" it would be worth it. IMO, a 1.5" lift would be worth maybe 99 dollars and a cheaper option then the rro.
I second this, would be willing to shell out some cash for a cool 4 inches.
post #14 of 48 (permalink) Old 03-29-2016, 04:30 PM

4" just isn't going to happen...

actually I take that back, there is a subframe drop of 2" and then the 2" spacer lift would give you your 4". BUT that makes 0 improvement for ground clearance.....

Listen. the WHOLE point of a lift is to be able to install larger tires, The largest tires you would want to install on a patriot is no more than 30". A 2" lift, or even just a 1.5" lift is PLENTY to fit that large of a tire.

Why such a small tire?
1) engine power, there just isn't a lot of it to spin tires bigger
2) gearing, one way to make up for less power is to change gearing in your axles to allow for bigger tires, you cannot do this with a patriot, and the gearing is very high.
3) drive line strength, you would just cause the suspension to crumple with larger tires.
4) braking. Larger tires = more rotating mass, the brakes are simply not up to the task of stopping heavier tires.

To Honestly do it, you would need to replace at least the following:
1) lower control arms
2) struts
3) springs
4) Brakes
5) brake lines
6) axles
7) hubs
8) rear pumpkin
9) transaxle
10) engine
11) engine management system

by the time you're done, you would have in excess of $10k into a vehicle with marginally better off road performance. You could buy a older built TJ for that kind of money that would run circles around the patriot. and still have your patriot getting good gas mileage.

I have not looked into what kojack is talking about, but if I were look into a lift, I think I would prefer the 1.5" lift (plenty to fit the largest tire size I would dare fitting) BUT i would want it to be able to allow me to run with my sway bar disco'ed, but not in danger of binding the cv joints. I felt the biggest limiting factor on my MK (out side of not having a two speed transfer case) was how often I had only 2-3 wheels on the ground, that extra travel given by disconnecting, even just an inch either way would go a LONG way into improving offroad worthiness, and I would invest in at least an LSD, if not a locker.

2012 FDII Patriot - Sold
1989 Cherokee Pioneer - 3.5" MC lift
http://aicproductionblog.com/support-this-page/
http://www.youtube.com/c/aicoffroadvideo
post #15 of 48 (permalink) Old 03-29-2016, 06:31 PM
Banned

Quote:
Its not about the height, its about how it works. wheel travel. Not designing a "lift" we are designing a suspension system that increase capability. Keeping wheels on the ground more, means more traction, better capability off road, there will be less issues compared to the offerings now. You cannot lift anymore than 2" on patriots. go buy a JK if you want that kind of lift.

And NO. a 1.5" lift would not be worth 99 dollars when it comes with matched springs, monotube shocks with more travel and load carrying, and better ride. Plus new more stout control arms, bushings, sway bar disconnects etc. Dollars don't equal inches.

You fail to see what is being worked out here.

No problem, when a properly equipped jeep passes you off road, we won't call you!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jeep Patriot Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode