CVT replacement cost - Jeep Patriot Forums
Engine and Drivetrain Engines, transfer cases, transmissions and axles

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 27 (permalink) Old 10-25-2011, 01:42 PM Thread Starter
ben

CVT replacement cost

I have a whining noise coming from my engine, whine is linked to speed, not engine RPM. From what I've read on various posts it sounds like the CVT is shot. I'm going to the dealer tomorrow to have it looked at, my car is not under warranty (it is a 2007 pre-lifetime warranty). If it is the CVT, what am I looking at it to get it replaced?

Last edited by ben; 10-25-2011 at 01:53 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 27 (permalink) Old 10-25-2011, 05:02 PM

how many miles does your 2007 have? did you ever do a CVT fluid change or flush? when did the noise start?

I paid the $750 extra to get the lifetime warranty but I hope I never have to use it.
post #3 of 27 (permalink) Old 10-25-2011, 05:32 PM

~ $5000 to replace it. Mine whined for 12,000 miles before it failed and refused to get out of "2nd" gear.

One think you may notice is if you're on the highway, you can probably find a sweet spot with the gas pedal where the whine will go almost completely away. It's the point where you are neither accellerating or decellerating.
post #4 of 27 (permalink) Old 10-25-2011, 05:40 PM Thread Starter
ben

I have approximately 75,000 miles. I've never had the CVT serviced. The noise started on Friday.

Last edited by ben; 10-25-2011 at 06:00 PM.
post #5 of 27 (permalink) Old 10-26-2011, 06:02 PM

let us know what the dealer finds!
post #6 of 27 (permalink) Old 10-27-2011, 07:58 AM Thread Starter
ben

I took it to the dealer where I bought my car and they said the transmission needs replacement. They quoted $4,365.00. I called another Jeep dealership and they quoted just under $4,000. Called a third and they said they wanted to look at it, no charge, to see if they think it needs a replacement. They mentioned a possible pump that could go bad causing the same noise. I'm going by tomorrow for them to take a look at it. Their replacement cost, if needed, is about the same as the cheaper quote I got.

Will keep you all posted.

post #7 of 27 (permalink) Old 10-27-2011, 08:39 AM
MB
Seriously Addicted

I hope it's not your trans and it's just a sleazy dealer trying to take advantage. I had a 2001 Impala that made a whining noise when I accelerated. I didn't notice it until a friend jokingly asked if I had a turbo under the hood. It turns out it was just a pump gone bad. I'm hoping you get good news from the dealer.

Sent from my Autoguide iPhone app
post #8 of 27 (permalink) Old 10-27-2011, 09:19 AM

Too many service people are too quick to "R&R" (remove and replace) without considering the third "R" – Repair.
post #9 of 27 (permalink) Old 10-27-2011, 10:41 PM

Send a message via MSN to Afmcronnie
There's not many parts on that CVT you can do a "third R" on.....

EARTH FIRST! (We'll Jeep the other planets later)

My Jeep won a war. Your Honda cuts my grass...

The Earth is covered 80% by water, Jeep covers the rest.

Many vehicles will get you into remote places, a Wrangler will get you home....
post #10 of 27 (permalink) Old 10-27-2011, 10:44 PM

Send a message via MSN to Afmcronnie
Quote:
Originally Posted by ben View Post
I took it to the dealer where I bought my car and they said the transmission needs replacement. They quoted $4,365.00. I called another Jeep dealership and they quoted just under $4,000. Called a third and they said they wanted to look at it, no charge, to see if they think it needs a replacement. They mentioned a possible pump that could go bad causing the same noise. I'm going by tomorrow for them to take a look at it. Their replacement cost, if needed, is about the same as the cheaper quote I got.

Will keep you all posted.
A second option you may want to explore, if you have a reputable transmission shop in your area, that CVT IS rebuildable. Just because the Jeep dealer cant, or wont, tear it down, doesn't mean a skilled transmission shop wont do it. The parts are available, if a shop has a tech thats been trained in how to rebuild a CVT.

EARTH FIRST! (We'll Jeep the other planets later)

My Jeep won a war. Your Honda cuts my grass...

The Earth is covered 80% by water, Jeep covers the rest.

Many vehicles will get you into remote places, a Wrangler will get you home....
post #11 of 27 (permalink) Old 10-28-2011, 05:33 AM

That is one pricey tranny. Though I haven't replaced a Jeep tranny in ten years or so, my old GC was around $2500.

I'd look into the rebuild option as well if it doesn't turn out to be the pump.

IS IT TIME FOR A CVT FAILURE STICKY?

TRADED-IN for CHEROKEE Latitude 12/2/13:RRO Lift, 235/65/17 H/Ts, Black PlastiDip 17" Factory Wheels, Front Mud Flaps, Fog Lights, Hella Driving Lights, Curt Class III Hitch w/Shackle, Black Mesh on Lower Bumper Intakes, Blacked-out Muffler, Roofrails, 5mm Rear Spacers, Sony 6x9s(4), 6-Disc Changer, Front Tint & Fine Jeep PinStripe.

Last edited by snokat; 10-28-2011 at 05:45 AM.
post #12 of 27 (permalink) Old 10-28-2011, 09:26 AM

Send a message via MSN to todde702
Thankfully, reported CVT failures are still really low in comparison to standard automatics. Just taking this forum as a sampling, we have over 13,000 members and I think we're still below 20 reported failures total. We've also had several reports of the PTU unit failing (That's the power takeoff unit which is bolted to the CVT to send the power to the rear wheels). When the PTU starts to fail it can also start making a whining noise.

Factory fluid change interval for the CVT is 120,000 miles and 60,000 miles for the PTU.

-Todd
08 Sport 4x4 FDI Silver, CRD Stu's Coil Springs, Mud Flaps, Weathertech vent shades, TAG Rear Bumper
Carr Lightwing, Pilot Navigator Driving Lights, K&N Air Filter and a jp.com decal

Quote:
"Nothing is either good or bad, but thinking makes it so."
- William Shakespeare

"I swear to drunk I'm not God!"
- Anonymous
post #13 of 27 (permalink) Old 10-30-2011, 11:24 PM Thread Starter
ben

Second dealer also said the CVT was going bad. Their quote was quite a bit less. They want $3,500 at the most out the door, said it may be a little less depending on the fluid.

post #14 of 27 (permalink) Old 10-31-2011, 11:56 AM

I always figured a transmission would max out at costing around 2k. 5k is insane!
post #15 of 27 (permalink) Old 11-01-2011, 07:06 AM

Tx Todde, very reassuring numbers on reliability. Like I've said before, only one tranny in over 600K miles of Jeepin'. Hoping this CVT goes the distance and we get another 5 years out of it.

TRADED-IN for CHEROKEE Latitude 12/2/13:RRO Lift, 235/65/17 H/Ts, Black PlastiDip 17" Factory Wheels, Front Mud Flaps, Fog Lights, Hella Driving Lights, Curt Class III Hitch w/Shackle, Black Mesh on Lower Bumper Intakes, Blacked-out Muffler, Roofrails, 5mm Rear Spacers, Sony 6x9s(4), 6-Disc Changer, Front Tint & Fine Jeep PinStripe.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jeep Patriot Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode