CVT Problems? - Jeep Patriot Forums
Engine and Drivetrain Engines, transfer cases, transmissions and axles

 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-21-2011, 10:36 AM Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Hazleton, PA
Posts: 134
 
Exclamation CVT Problems?

I have an 08 Patriot Sport...About to hit 70,000 miles.

This month is 3 yrs I own this car and never had any transmission problems until this month. I noticed when accelerating from a stop the transmission bucks, the car shakes and the transmission feels like it has a hard time catching....this all usually happens when I have the AC on...So I drove without the AC, and it still does it...It just does it worse with the AC on.

The car is only at 70,000 so it still has the original transmission fluid and filter...

Do you think its time for a fluid change?

Also, I think my transmission overheats which causes this problem...My Patriot does not have the "Transmission Overheat" Idiot light...so How do I know if it is overheating?

Sorry for rambling...and Thanks You.
DJPatriot08 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-21-2011, 12:03 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Ft. Worth, Texa$ (With a dollar sign)
Posts: 445
 
Since having my transmission replaced, mine seems a lot more bucky than before.
Stonent is offline  
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-21-2011, 12:25 PM
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Pittsburgh
Posts: 16
 
I'm having a very similar problem. It only happens after I've been driving for about 10 minutes. In addition to shaking while accelerating from a stop, it does it while driving. Any ideas?

Also, the check engine light is not on. It did, however, ding and flash on one trip, and stayed on until I turned the car off. The next time I started it, no light.

Right now, my Pat's at the dealer getting LCA and tie rod ends replaced ($350 copay...ugh), and I told them about this problem. When I first called Chrysler for that, I was only 2 weeks out of warranty, while only being at 28k miles. The LCA and tie rod end better be a recall soon.

Last edited by igf101; 07-21-2011 at 12:31 PM.
igf101 is offline  
post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-21-2011, 01:52 PM
Senior Member
 
Afmcronnie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Kansas City
Posts: 1,720
 
Send a message via MSN to Afmcronnie
Quote:
Originally Posted by DJPatriot08 View Post
I have an 08 Patriot Sport...About to hit 70,000 miles.

This month is 3 yrs I own this car and never had any transmission problems until this month. I noticed when accelerating from a stop the transmission bucks, the car shakes and the transmission feels like it has a hard time catching....this all usually happens when I have the AC on...So I drove without the AC, and it still does it...It just does it worse with the AC on.

The car is only at 70,000 so it still has the original transmission fluid and filter...

Do you think its time for a fluid change?

Also, I think my transmission overheats which causes this problem...My Patriot does not have the "Transmission Overheat" Idiot light...so How do I know if it is overheating?

Sorry for rambling...and Thanks You.

Try changing the sparkplugs and air filter first, before you start worrying about the CVT.

EARTH FIRST! (We'll Jeep the other planets later)

My Jeep won a war. Your Honda cuts my grass...

The Earth is covered 80% by water, Jeep covers the rest.

Many vehicles will get you into remote places, a Wrangler will get you home....
Afmcronnie is offline  
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-21-2011, 11:10 PM Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Hazleton, PA
Posts: 134
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Afmcronnie View Post
Try changing the sparkplugs and air filter first, before you start worrying about the CVT.
The spark plugs were changed about 7 months ago, and air filter 1 month ago.
DJPatriot08 is offline  
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-21-2011, 11:12 PM Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Hazleton, PA
Posts: 134
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by igf101 View Post
I'm having a very similar problem. It only happens after I've been driving for about 10 minutes. In addition to shaking while accelerating from a stop, it does it while driving.
Thats when my problems start, after the car gets to its normal operating temperature.
DJPatriot08 is offline  
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-21-2011, 11:14 PM Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Hazleton, PA
Posts: 134
 
...and especially with this "heat wave" in Pennsylvania this week, it's been bucking and jolting WORSE.
DJPatriot08 is offline  
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-13-2012, 10:11 AM
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 7
 
Did you find anything out with this? I have an 07 that is doing this now about 75K miles.

Did you solve your issue?
nobodyFamous is offline  
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-18-2012, 09:28 AM Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Hazleton, PA
Posts: 134
 
I changed the brand of the spark plugs, It had NGK brand spark plugs. I changed over to Bosch Platinum and haven't had a problem since.

Hope this helps you. Let me know of the outcome.
DJPatriot08 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Jeep Patriot Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in









Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome