Simple Mods, will they Void the lifetime Warranty? - Jeep Patriot Forums
Engine and Drivetrain Engines, transfer cases, transmissions and axles

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 03-13-2008, 03:45 PM Thread Starter

Send a message via MSN to ldjbuff
Simple Mods, will they Void the lifetime Warranty?

Hey Eveyone,

I plan on putting in a K&N Airfilter and a Catback exhaust system on my Pat.

Will that void my lifetime Warranty?

Also doesnt it void the warranty if you put on bigger tires? More taxing on the motor? or even a lift?

Thanks in Advance

-Lucas

~Idaho~08 Patriot FD I Green 5 speed, 17" Rims, Moon Roof and Tow Package~ MODS- K&N Airfilter
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 03-13-2008, 04:11 PM

The way I understand the law in Michigan (and maybe the rest of the US) is that they have to reasonably prove that the modification contibuted to the failure (or something like that anyway).

If you put on much bigger tires (not possible on the pat) and break an axle, it likely wouldn't be covered by a warranty, but if your engine had problems it would most likely still be covered.

Make sure you keep any original parts in case you have problems. You can easily swap them to the original if you have to, but this might be too difficult in the case of something like a lift (which could only void suspension components I think).

Anyone else have first hand experience here? I've never put the theory to the test.

Last big adventure: Wyoming Range (I took the pic in my avatar from the top of Lookout Mountain)
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 03-13-2008, 05:08 PM

Send a message via AIM to Terasec Send a message via Yahoo to Terasec
Matter of opinio

Quote:
Originally Posted by UP_2Tracker View Post
The way I understand the law in Michigan (and maybe the rest of the US) is that they have to reasonably prove that the modification contibuted to the failure (or something like that anyway).

If you put on much bigger tires (not possible on the pat) and break an axle, it likely wouldn't be covered by a warranty, but if your engine had problems it would most likely still be covered.

Make sure you keep any original parts in case you have problems. You can easily swap them to the original if you have to, but this might be too difficult in the case of something like a lift (which could only void suspension components I think).

Anyone else have first hand experience here? I've never put the theory to the test.
Have had a neon with Aftermarket struts and Mopar Performance Spark wires
couple Dealers stated that was modified they would not cover headgasket repair.
Had to go to a third dealer before I found a dealer to cover it under warranty

Some dealers will claim that the excess dirt on the car changed the aerodynamic properties of the car and put an undo burden on the drivetrain,
hence voiding the warranty,
a stretch but you get the point

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 03-14-2008, 08:30 AM

Send a message via AIM to Ollie18 Send a message via MSN to Ollie18
Know your rights before you let a dealer push you around...

http://www.semasan.com/main/main.aspx?id=60128

Here is the answer to your question:

Quote:
The Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act may also be helpful. Under this federal law, you can sue on breach of express and implied warranties. The main point of interest here is that the Act says warranty coverage may not be conditioned upon the use of only the vehicle manufacturer's parts unless the parts are provided free of charge. In other words, use of a non-carmaker/OE product should not void your warranty unless it caused the problem.

Last edited by Ollie18; 03-14-2008 at 08:33 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jeep Patriot Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode