CVT Whirring/Whining Noise - Jeep Patriot Forums
Engine and Drivetrain Engines, transfer cases, transmissions and axles

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 02-23-2010, 03:39 PM Thread Starter
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Atlanta, GA
Posts: 14
 
CVT Whirring/Whining Noise

My transmission makes a whirring/whining noise at normal speed. It appears that stop-and-go traffic makes it worse and will quiet down some after resuming cruising speed. I noticed in another thread that others are complaining about this. Has anybody been able to get this resolved?
clutter is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 02-27-2010, 09:41 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: All Over
Posts: 291
 
just turn up the radio and drive it or take to dealer easy solotion to problem
patroit07 is offline  
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-08-2010, 11:26 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 75
 
Thought it was the CVT the 1st time I heard a noise. Turned out to be a loose guard above the drive shaft. Fixed it myself.
Last fall the jeep would intermitantly whine like a car trying to go fast in reverse. More recently it was constant, louder then the engine. Dropped it off at a shop, now we are waiting for a complete new rear differential. Jeep said, don't bother rebuilding it, just put in the new one we are sending you. It's only been a week, but i hope we get it back soon.

2007 Limited, FDI, pkg26F, 225/70/16 BFG A/T's. 25,000+ miles
josiesjeep is offline  
post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-04-2011, 01:14 PM
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 1
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by josiesjeep View Post
Thought it was the CVT the 1st time I heard a noise. Turned out to be a loose guard above the drive shaft. Fixed it myself.
Last fall the jeep would intermitantly whine like a car trying to go fast in reverse. More recently it was constant, louder then the engine. Dropped it off at a shop, now we are waiting for a complete new rear differential. Jeep said, don't bother rebuilding it, just put in the new one we are sending you. It's only been a week, but i hope we get it back soon.
Hi, Josiesjeep. Can you please describe how you access the loose guard above the drive shaft? I get this horrible toy car windup noise when the engine gets really hot in the summer or after a couple hours on the highway. The noise is then slightly noticable when cruising on the throttle but is extremely lound when really opening up to pass..etc..
I hope it is just what you described. Much obliged in advance.
dantetoo2 is offline  
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-02-2014, 10:07 AM
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 71
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by dantetoo2 View Post
Hi, Josiesjeep. Can you please describe how you access the loose guard above the drive shaft? I get this horrible toy car windup noise when the engine gets really hot in the summer or after a couple hours on the highway. The noise is then slightly noticable when cruising on the throttle but is extremely lound when really opening up to pass..etc..
I hope it is just what you described. Much obliged in advance.
is that the loose guard? how did you fix it? seems many other theories on here related to this or similar noise. i've narrowed ideas to tranny, cooler, rear differential, loose guard, OAD pulley.you would think Chrysler would just know but something tells me they will be (or pretend to be) clueless.

Mine is exactly the same on a 2011. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pOX-ufuwYiE
hakujin is offline  
post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-05-2014, 12:32 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 71
 
nevermind. clear now this is a widespread cvt fluid overheat problem. notorious problem with crappy jatco JF011E. this alone is enough reason to sell the pat. no coincidence chrysler moved away from this cvt in 2014. also happens frequently with avenger and altima.

Last edited by hakujin; 08-05-2014 at 02:23 PM.
hakujin is offline  
post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-09-2014, 11:59 PM
Mopar or no car!!!
 
SREJECT's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Nevada, USA!
Posts: 1,714
 
My local dealer said it happens a lot in the summer. Jeeps coming over the hill from California make this noise a lot, then go into limp mode. My dealer said it's usually fixed by changing out the CVT fluid and filter.

I'm going to do my first CVT fluid change at around 50,000 (I have 47,000 now)

If it doesn't fix the noise my CVT is making I will be sure to let you guys all know.

I really don't want to have this noise problem for long, my next Jeep will NOT have the CVT if it's not fixable.

2013 Jeep Patriot Limited, 2WD, CVT, 2.4L, uConnect230 --- K&N filter, Curt Class III Hitch w/ Spare Bumper, Mopar Oil Cooler, Cooper AT3 225/70/16, Boston Acoustics 6x9", JBL Tweeters, GTMat, Kicker Hideaway 8", Viper 2-way Alarm, Fiamm FWY Blaster Horn, Cobra DX19IV CB Radio, 20% Front Tint, 5% Rear Tint, Rugged Ridge mats, Splash Guards, Philips Xtreme Headlights, DD XML2 Fog Lights 5000k, Optima Red Top, Front Tow Hooks, JEEPPATRIOT.COM sticker
SREJECT is offline  
post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-10-2014, 12:52 AM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Las Vegas, NV
Posts: 264
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by SREJECT View Post
My local dealer said it happens a lot in the summer. Jeeps coming over the hill from California make this noise a lot, then go into limp mode. My dealer said it's usually fixed by changing out the CVT fluid and filter.

I'm going to do my first CVT fluid change at around 50,000 (I have 47,000 now)

If it doesn't fix the noise my CVT is making I will be sure to let you guys all know.

I really don't want to have this noise problem for long, my next Jeep will NOT have the CVT if it's not fixable.
Did you take it back to Prestige to be checked out or to another dealer in town? Since mine was changed early this year I have not had any issues with over heating. However I have not taken a long trip this summer (I did go to Joshua Tree National Park in March/April). I am off next Thursday...maybe a trip to Cali and back on 15 or out to Death Valley to test the tranny would be a good idea


2009 Patriot Sport Deep Water Blue Sun & Sound Group, Black Steel Wheel Covers, Chrome Mirror & Handle Covers, Hella Fog Lights, K&N CAI, Valley Roof Basket with Extension!!
coryconklin is offline  
post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-11-2014, 05:15 PM
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Zarate Buenos Aires Argentina
Posts: 14
 
I had the same problem, when the warming began cvt noises. Change the oil last week and no problems until now, hopefully when heat (Argentina) reaches continue behaving well
betos is offline  
post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-22-2014, 02:22 AM
Mopar or no car!!!
 
SREJECT's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Nevada, USA!
Posts: 1,714
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by coryconklin View Post
Did you take it back to Prestige to be checked out or to another dealer in town? Since mine was changed early this year I have not had any issues with over heating. However I have not taken a long trip this summer (I did go to Joshua Tree National Park in March/April). I am off next Thursday...maybe a trip to Cali and back on 15 or out to Death Valley to test the tranny would be a good idea
I did take it back to Prestige and they seemed familiar with the problem. They even told me how they usually fix it, there is a screen filter in addition to the main filter. They do a really good job cleaning that out and replace the main filter then check the rest of it out. Seems like it will fix my noise issue. I'll know soon, I plan on doing mine at 50,000 miles in the next month or so. Probably going to have to put it on my credit card....

2013 Jeep Patriot Limited, 2WD, CVT, 2.4L, uConnect230 --- K&N filter, Curt Class III Hitch w/ Spare Bumper, Mopar Oil Cooler, Cooper AT3 225/70/16, Boston Acoustics 6x9", JBL Tweeters, GTMat, Kicker Hideaway 8", Viper 2-way Alarm, Fiamm FWY Blaster Horn, Cobra DX19IV CB Radio, 20% Front Tint, 5% Rear Tint, Rugged Ridge mats, Splash Guards, Philips Xtreme Headlights, DD XML2 Fog Lights 5000k, Optima Red Top, Front Tow Hooks, JEEPPATRIOT.COM sticker
SREJECT is offline  
post #11 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-22-2014, 09:10 AM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Las Vegas, NV
Posts: 264
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by SREJECT View Post
I did take it back to Prestige and they seemed familiar with the problem. They even told me how they usually fix it, there is a screen filter in addition to the main filter. They do a really good job cleaning that out and replace the main filter then check the rest of it out. Seems like it will fix my noise issue. I'll know soon, I plan on doing mine at 50,000 miles in the next month or so. Probably going to have to put it on my credit card....
I am glad to hear that my issues with the transmission have helped someone else out on the forums. When I went to Prestige last year they had no clue what to do and told me that it is normal. It is good to hear that they now know how to better deal with the issue


2009 Patriot Sport Deep Water Blue Sun & Sound Group, Black Steel Wheel Covers, Chrome Mirror & Handle Covers, Hella Fog Lights, K&N CAI, Valley Roof Basket with Extension!!
coryconklin is offline  
post #12 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-18-2014, 04:29 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 71
 
well, i'm taking it in next fri and they will likely do cvt fluid exchange before anything else, to the tune of $480.

as I've read in the NissanClub forum, the noise derives from shavings from the bearings falling off. I doubt the fluid exchange will be anything but a short term patch, but this will be a point of contention nevertheless, in order to get this Jatco CVT replaced under powertrain warranty.

It seems shameful these problems I'm experiencing at only 34k miles. now it moans in addition to whines; moans when i've completed a one way 30 mi drive, come close to stop and tap on the gas. Mind you, prior to these longer commutes, this thing was driven really gingerly.

i plan to buy a mazda3 this weekend; can't get more than 23mpg hwy w/ a 2011 Pat FDII.
hakujin is offline  
post #13 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-18-2014, 05:47 PM
Senior Member
 
GDIESEL's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Posts: 191
 
seems like all the CVTs are different, my 2014 Sport FDII I just traded in whined like crazy. The loaner FDII I had between trading was dead silent now my new FDII is a little whiny but quieter than my Sport.

G-DIESEL aka facebook.com/GregDieselPhotography
2016 Cherokee Limited 4x4 black, loaded
2014 Patriot Limited 4x4 FDII black, loaded, 225-75-16 Goodyear DuraTracs TRADED 7/2016
2014 Patriot Sport 4x4 FDII black, trailer hitch, factory roof rack, 225-75-16 DuraTracs TRADED 9/2014
2012 Sahara Unlimited, lifted, 35" tires SOLD 7/2013
2011 Sahara Unlimited 70th Anniversary TRADED 3/2012
2009 Sahara Unlimited 33" tires SOLD 3/2011
2009 Commander Limited CAUGHT FIRE 4/2009
GDIESEL is offline  
post #14 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-18-2014, 08:30 PM
Major Modificator

 
moparnumber1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 1991
Location: Lewiston, Idaho
Posts: 100,000,055
 
mine whines but I always assumed it was because of how the teeth are straight cut on the belt. Kinda cool, sounds like a mini gear driven supercharger, just quieter. in any case, it drives just fine, besides the occasional "limp mode" until I hit 15 mph (stupid drive-by-wire)

moparnumber1 is offline  
post #15 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-18-2014, 08:58 PM
Cherokar!

 
Tyler-98-W68's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Saskatoon, SK
Posts: 2,966
 
The cvt on my 08 FDII never whined, on my 2012 it whines a bit at high rpms only in the FDII mode when i'm really pushing it offroad, otherwise its pretty quiet, and I've never had the temperature light come on.

2016 Cherokee Trailhawk V6
3.2L V6
Interior LED Conversion
LED Signal Lights
AFE Intake
245/70/17 Falken Wildpeak AT3/W
Tyler-98-W68 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Jeep Patriot Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in









Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome