Engine Oil Level - Jeep Patriot Forums
Engine and Drivetrain Engines, transfer cases, transmissions and axles

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-19-2017, 11:37 AM Thread Starter

Cool Engine Oil Level

I looked up the recommended oil level for my Patriot. Says 4.5 quarts. Since it was time for an oil change, time to do some measuring.

When I was ready to add the oil, I stole my wife's measuring cup and removed 1/2 quart of oil. Set it aside. The 5 qt bottle now holds 4.5 quarts.

I filled up the motor with a fresh filter. I cranked, actually turned the key, and started the motor. I let it run a minute to fill the filter, etc. Then, I turned it off and let the oil settle.

On the dip stick is about a half an inch or so of a cross-hatched area. All inside this area is called "safe". My oil level was maybe 1/4 inch from the top of the safe area.

I then poured 8 oz (1/4 quart) into the motor. The new level was maybe 1/16th inch from the top of the safe area. I then remembered an old Seinfeld show where Cramer and a car salesman pushed the envelope of the "empty" mark on a car. Time to be Cramer!!

I poured in the last 8 oz. I checked the dip stick. The new oil level looks to be maybe .010" of an inch above the safe level.

Assuming my dipstick is correct, I will just pour in the entire 5 quarts like I have ben for the last 10 years. I have had two high mileage Patriots for many years adding in the 5 qts. And, nothing blew up.

Just my very humble option, so now, TRASH MY POST!!

Alfalfa
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-19-2017, 12:36 PM

Garage
Dipstick markings are a guideline for a range. I shoot for the middle of the "safe" range. A little bit over/under = no matter. Significantly over/under you will have problems.
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-19-2017, 01:48 PM

I've always just put the whole 5 quart jug in. Never had any problems.

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-20-2017, 01:40 PM

If both the engine and oil was cold, its possible it could take a little longer to drain back into the pan.
I'm sure there's some designed-in safety margin in all engines for a little over fill.

Its when the oil level is way too high, high enough that the oil reaches and gets churned up by the crankshaft.
The result is oil foaming which can drop the oil pressure. Not good.

As an aside, one thing i don't like about these Pats are the cluster panel idiot lights.
Give me an old fashioned oil pressure gauge any day.
Same goes for a battery voltage gauge.

2014 Patriot Latitude 4X4 | 2000 Jeep XJ | 2016 Ford F150 XLT | 2005 Dodge Neon
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-20-2017, 03:14 PM

Thank You Alfalfa, this is exactly what I was going to do. My 2017 2.4 original oil level was below the maximum, at the time of delivery from the dealer, on the dip stick somewhat like Alfalfa related in the above post. Therefore I concluded there was about 4.5 quarts in the engine oil sump. I know the hash marks on the dip stick are a safe zone, but Id like the oil at the top after an oil change/filter as Ive done for 70 years. Noticed there was no mention of the filter in the manual, could this be where the missing oil is hiding when 4.5 quarts are added to an empty sump and a new filter. Maybe the manual should say 5 quarts with a new filter like was posted above. Who wants several 5 quart oil jugs just sitting around with a half-quart.
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-20-2017, 03:16 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by moparado View Post
As an aside, one thing i don't like about these Pats are the cluster panel idiot lights. Give me an old fashioned oil pressure gauge any day. Same goes for a battery voltage gauge.
Good point -- a gauge tells us so much more.

And of what use is a tachometer in a passenger automobile with an automatic transmission? In most cases its just one more gizmo. Even with a manual, in most cases the engine sound tells you where its at.

I'd bet 10% of the drivers out there don't even know what the numbers on a tach even mean, much less how to use them!

IMHO, take out the tack and give us some gauges that give us information that we actually use.
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-23-2017, 04:28 PM

If using a good quality oil filter, if you dump in 5 qts it will be over serviced. The hash marks are not proportional. Let your Jeep sit a long time before taking a reading. Oil seems to hide in this 2.4L, drive it a day or two before topping it off.
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-23-2017, 05:23 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by JackInBox View Post
Id like the oil at the top after an oil change/filter as Ive done for 70 years.
Hey, there's somebody on here that's older than me!
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-23-2017, 06:15 PM

Quote:
As an aside, one thing i don't like about these Pats are the cluster panel idiot lights.
Give me an old fashioned oil pressure gauge any day.
Same goes for a battery voltage gauge.
As an old time (read: elderly and experienced...) pilot--I'm used to what we used to refer to as "steam gauges", and pilots are conditioned to scan them regularily. However, in today's distractive environment, the "ID-ten-T" lights get one's attention, usually when there's little time for corrective action. I remember when digital gauges first came out in airplanes, you had to do mental gymnastics to recall changes, where with gauges, you look at the relative position of the needle. Did you know that when airliners had flight engineers, they'd rotate the gauges in their position so that normal readings would be in the 12oclock position, so that a scan of the gauges could be quickly accomplished on some of those 4 engine jobs with dozens of gauges. But, even if you pay extra for gauges, I'm sure only 10% of drivers would really pay attention to them....

Jack Allwardt, Bonney Lake (Tehaleh area), WA; (REPEAT Patriot Owner...'08 Limited and a '16 High Altitude), Retired engineer, US Army veteran, Member: American Legion, Veterans of Foreign Wars, Central Valley Vietnam Veterans, Enumclaw (WA) Lions Club. Former vintage military jeep owner, instrument rated commercial pilot, ag pilot, vintage aircraft restorer and test pilot.
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old Yesterday, 10:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jack.allwardt View Post
.....But, even if you pay extra for gauges, I'm sure only 10% of drivers would really pay attention to them....
Jack, count me in as one of those 10%'ers.

I was happy to see a real analog oil psi gauge complete with needle on my Ford F150.
Until i noticed the needle was always centered in the same spot.
No matter if the oil was cold, hot, hi-way speed or at idle.

Dug into this and come to find out the PCM controls the oil gauge needle placement via a go no-go oil psi sensing switch, NOT the actual real time oil pressure.
That F150 oil gauge is just a 'trickster' analog idiot light.

Talked to my Jeep technician one day about this. He said thats the trend with a lot of auto manufactures these days.

Probably to keep the 90% happy thinking they have a real oil psi gauge.

post #11 of 14 (permalink) Old Yesterday, 08:49 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by jack.allwardt View Post
But, even if you pay extra for gauges, I'm sure only 10% of drivers would really pay attention to them....
A neighbor of ours noticed that her temperature gauge was all the way to the top so she figured she'd better hurry right home . . .
post #12 of 14 (permalink) Old Today, 10:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ignatz View Post
A neighbor of ours noticed that her temperature gauge was all the way to the top so she figured she'd better hurry right home . . .
Yep, thats the one great advantage of having real time readouts with analog gauges.

If one pays attention to them, they can sometimes nip a minor problem in the bud before it becomes a major problem.

post #13 of 14 (permalink) Old Today, 12:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by java4jay View Post
If using a good quality oil filter, if you dump in 5 qts it will be over serviced. The hash marks are not proportional. Let your Jeep sit a long time before taking a reading. Oil seems to hide in this 2.4L, drive it a day or two before topping it off.
I put the entire 5 quart jug in mine every six months when I change the oil and never had a problem. A half quart is not going to equal a lot in the oil pan, spread out over the length of that pan.
post #14 of 14 (permalink) Old Today, 12:21 PM

Garage
Quote:
Yep, thats the one great advantage of having real time readouts with analog gauges.

If one pays attention to them, they can sometimes nip a minor problem in the bud before it becomes a major problem.
If one pays attention to them! All the warnings in the world will do no good unless they are heeded. What I didn't tell you is that by the time she got home the engine was ruined. She should have stopped right then and there -- pulled to the side of the road and shut it off. A few more miles on an overheated engine was too far.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jeep Patriot Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode