Intermittent failure to start - ETC warning light - Advice please? - Jeep Patriot Forums
Engine and Drivetrain Engines, transfer cases, transmissions and axles

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-21-2017, 06:29 PM Thread Starter

Intermittent failure to start - ETC warning light - Advice please?

First post - hope it reads OK ..

My 2008 2.4 CVT Patriot (96k) has intermittent non-start issues. She'll crank, but not fire - mostly when the engine is cold and it also appears to happen more often when the air temp is cooler (lower than about 6C / 42F is the trigger point for not starting) ~ and always at the most inconvenient of times (petrol station / picking the kids up for school etc). When she does fail, the ETC warning light will stay illuminated.

When she fails to start - about 75% of the time, she will start eventually (just keep turning the key off and on and off and on .. and after about 7 to 10 mins, she'll spring to life) .. the other 25% of the time, I give up and get the bus to work

A local garage (not a Jeep dealer) read the fault code as P2107 - Electronic Throttle Control Module Processor (it also threw out P0522 oil pressure sensor & P1279 starter control circuit, but I suspect these are unrelated) ~ but referred me to a Jeep dealer.

A Jeep dealer (60 miles away ~ I'm in the UK, Jeep dealerships are few and far between) was unable to diagnose the problem - because the engine was warm when I got there .. D'Oh

Here's what I've attempted so far (some unrelated to the issue - but listed for completeness)
- new throttle body - fitted last week (I was convinced this would sort it .. to no avail!)
- new battery (replaced a few months ago)
- new spark plugs (along with a filter and fluid service - a couple of months ago)
- replaced battery in key fob

I've searched the forms for a similar issues - with no luck, hence I'm posting here. I'd be grateful if anyone can give me some guidance.

______ooooo
/__|_|_,\____\,___
|_---|_|__|---O|||O
_.(o)_)__(o)_)--o-)_)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-27-2017, 05:32 PM Thread Starter

After another chilly day in the UK - the Pat left at home on the drive and me having to catch the bus to work - get home from work and it starts after 3/4 attempts ..

Another pattern occurred to me and I thought it work sharing, when it cranks but wont fire (engine management light illuminated and ETC light flashing) - I repeatedly crank 2/3 times, ignition off / crank 2/3 times / ignition off etc .. it usually fires only after the key has been removed from the ignition, lock all the doors with the key fob, unlock with key fob and re-turn the key .. i.e. could there be something in the fact that the alarm has been set and un set before it fires ?? .. some deep seeded electrical fault ..? .. or just coincidence ..

Any help / guidance appreciated.

______ooooo
/__|_|_,\____\,___
|_---|_|__|---O|||O
_.(o)_)__(o)_)--o-)_)
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-28-2017, 12:38 PM

HI jaseBase, welcome to the forum. Some time back there was a discussion on the receiver unit in the steering column and keys not being recognized. My 2008 will not start every once in a while on the first try, almost always on the second. I think that getting in, putting the key in and turning it in one swift motion, that is when it won't start. The car is not recognizing the chip in the key, I think. Might not be the same issue, but maybe a place to start?

FDl Sport 4x4 E Tow pkg Thule Roof Rack System Reese Hitch Scangauge ll

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-04-2017, 04:22 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for the reply bwpakk .. I'll certainly give that a try (turning the key more slowly). I'll report back in a day or so to see if it makes any difference.

______ooooo
/__|_|_,\____\,___
|_---|_|__|---O|||O
_.(o)_)__(o)_)--o-)_)
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-19-2017, 12:29 PM Thread Starter

Update: The car has now been with the Jeep dealership for a week (yes, I succumbed to taking it there as no other options) and I have just received a phone call to say they can't find the fault. The fault is 'low power from the powertrain control module on startup' .. or at least that's their diagnosis. They've replaced the wires / connections to the throttle body and also replaced the battery. I'm about 700 quid in so far with the stealership and they want my permission to continue. Their next option is to hard-wire a live to the throttle body (or at least, that's what I took from the call - I'm sure it's more complicated than that).

Arghhh!!

______ooooo
/__|_|_,\____\,___
|_---|_|__|---O|||O
_.(o)_)__(o)_)--o-)_)
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old Yesterday, 07:43 PM

Quote:
...A local garage (not a Jeep dealer) read the fault code as P2107 - Electronic Throttle Control Module Processor (it also threw out P0522 oil pressure sensor & P1279 starter control circuit,...
With all those sort of un-relateded CEL codes, something might be going on with the electrical system in general. First and foremost make sure the battery terminal clamps/connections are in good condition which hopefully the Jeep dealer did already.

Sometimes seemingly unresolved electrical problems can be traced to a faulty ground wire connection to somewhere from the (-) of the battery.
Check all the ground wire connection terminals to the engine and chassis for corrosion, looseness, etc.
Might want to unscrew them all and go over both their terminal spades and their mating surfaces with sandpaper until all is shiny and bright, wipe clean then res-crew them back on.
If nothing else, its worth a shot.

If that don't work, re-seat the PCM connectors and the other module connectors associated with those CEL codes.

I know you're in the UK likely with few Jeep dealers, but its hard to believe your Jeep dealer can't resolve the problem with the given CEL codes. Granted its apparently an intermittent problem which can be bears to deal with.

The more electronics they pile into these vehicles the more headaches that can come eventually.

2014 Patriot Latitude 4X4 | 2000 Jeep XJ | 2016 Ford F150 XLT | 2005 Dodge Neon
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
etc light, throttle body, throttle control

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jeep Patriot Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode