• 1 Post By RossoRacer
  • 2 Post By Sdsjeep2008
  • 2 Post By Sdsjeep2008
  • 1 Post By RossoRacer
  • 1 Post By kramer

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-19-2017, 01:42 PM Thread Starter

Cvt fluid change

So I have 85k on the patriot and time for a cvt fluid change. I picked up a dipstick from advance for $16. With a $5. Speed perk. So I drove home and checked the fluid, first of all it is very clean looking. Who ever designed the dipstick for the patriot is brain dead. I it sticks out 2 feet after it bottoms out. I know it fits other cars. Anyway has anyone used smart blend cvt fluid? It stayes it is for all cvts. I can get it for $5. A quart.
Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-19-2017, 04:14 PM

I was looking to put in a cheaper transmission fluid a few days ago, and I was at Canadian Tire just starting at the CVT fluid they had for under $10.

At the end of the day, this is an item you don't want to use a wrong fluid in, so I went to Chrysler and paid $24.99 for the actual CVTF+4 fluid, Mopar branded.

Yes, its a rip off. But when its your transmission you might as well use the spec fluid. The consequences can be dire for saving a quick $15 per litre.
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-19-2017, 08:59 PM Thread Starter

Very true. I have not found any real info about that fluid. So mopar fluid is it.

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-19-2017, 09:52 PM

When I service my 6 spd this spring I will pick up the fluid from Chrysler/Jeep.
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-20-2017, 02:01 PM
Unsponsored Baja racer

Garage
Valvoline and AMSoil fluid also work very well in our CVTs.
Sdsjeep2008 likes this.

Trekkie, trucker, Jeeper, potential racer. Don't touch my trumpets.
"For God so loved the world that He sent His only begotten Son, that all who believe in him might not perish but have eternal life" -John 3:16
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KOb8IEyCO1o
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-21-2017, 04:55 PM Thread Starter

I was thinking oem fluid and then I saw castrol cvt fluid and it is spec for the cvt in the patriot also. I have used there engine oil in all my cars/trucks/goldwings for years.
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-22-2017, 02:54 PM

How can you tell that its the same fluid? What do you check for on the labels?
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-23-2017, 10:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RossoRacer View Post
Valvoline and AMSoil fluid also work very well in our CVTs.
I've been using Valvoline (about $50 for 6 quarts on Amazon) for the last two changes and it works fine.

Check the label and it should say it is compatible with the MOPAR CVT Fluid.
RossoRacer and Patriot08TO like this.
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-28-2017, 01:47 AM

A couple of things. Unless they changed the CVT design from the CVT to the CVT2 the CVT fluid is designed to last well beyond 100k miles. At least that is what it says in my 2014 owners manual.

Second you want to use the Mopar type fluid only. The fluids do not mix all that well and your transmission will either not "shift" or it will "shift" like there is a bunch of rocks inside it.

Third, there is a lot of dealership service only steps that happen when you do a CVT fluid service that require doing more than just changing out the fluid. Unless you have the Mopar computer system, and are able to pull the new TCM reprogram, reset the fluid life indicators, etc.
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-28-2017, 12:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nkuzel View Post
A couple of things. Unless they changed the CVT design from the CVT to the CVT2 the CVT fluid is designed to last well beyond 100k miles. At least that is what it says in my 2014 owners manual.

Second you want to use the Mopar type fluid only. The fluids do not mix all that well and your transmission will either not "shift" or it will "shift" like there is a bunch of rocks inside it.

Third, there is a lot of dealership service only steps that happen when you do a CVT fluid service that require doing more than just changing out the fluid. Unless you have the Mopar computer system, and are able to pull the new TCM reprogram, reset the fluid life indicators, etc.
IMHO you DO NOT want to go over 60K on original CVT fluid unless you are still under warranty. These CVTs are sensitive to fluid conditions.

I have done two (2) drain and refills on my 08 using Valvoline fluid with no problems whatsoever.
kramer and Gen0cide like this.
post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-29-2017, 11:27 PM
Unsponsored Baja racer

Garage
Yeah, CVT is sensitive to fluid/filter gunk. Chrysler wanted to say they had a vehicle with low cost to own, and they don't bother to actually look into making good tech work right. So, they slapped on the sticker saying "120k miles for CVT fluid change if you're easy on it", then sat back and filled their pockets when most of the units failed from poor maintenance, and many owners of failed CVT models brought it in for a $5,000 replacement. It's good tech, but Chrysler made mistakes in implementation, likely from purposeful ignorance for a pure bottom line maximization. I changed my fluid at 82k, but it was way too late for how hard I was on it. Would have likely lasted if I had changed it alot sooner.
kramer likes this.

Trekkie, trucker, Jeeper, potential racer. Don't touch my trumpets.
"For God so loved the world that He sent His only begotten Son, that all who believe in him might not perish but have eternal life" -John 3:16
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KOb8IEyCO1o
post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-30-2017, 11:49 AM

ALL fluids break down and must be changed regardless of the factory manual.

Auto trans fluids should be replaced around 30-60K or you will replace the whole transmission.
RossoRacer likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jeep Patriot Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode