Gascap warning message - Jeep Patriot Forums
Engine and Drivetrain Engines, transfer cases, transmissions and axles

2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 27 (permalink) Old 02-20-2017, 04:53 PM Thread Starter

Gascap warning message

So on Thursday night when I started my '09 Patriot the gascap warning came up. This was a few days since the last fill-up. I removed the cap, which seemed tightly on, and put it back. I've since done it again. The warning keeps appearing when I start the vehicle, which seems to be running fine.

Two questions:

1. The manual isn't clear, but is the warning specific to the gas cap or is it the systems general way of letting you know that the fuel system isn't properly pressurized? In other words, could it indicate issues somewhere else than just the cap?

2. Is this like the "Check Engine Light" on previous vehicles I've had where the light will eventually disappear if the problem has actually been solved but keep showing up for a time? So if the cap was a bit loose and now isn't, at some point will the warning stop showing up at start, or is it firing up every time because the car detects the problem still exists?

I'd rather not rush off to the dealer or a mechanic for something like a light that will reset in time.

Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 27 (permalink) Old 02-20-2017, 07:20 PM

If it truly was a loose gas cap, give it some time and see if the light corrects itself.
Also, some gas caps have been known to lose their seal so it's possible you might need a new one.

post #3 of 27 (permalink) Old 02-20-2017, 08:10 PM

Garage
If it was a bad seal the problem should correct the next time you start up and the system pressurizes. There is also a check engine light (looks like a miniature motor) which is separate from the gas cap warning (alphabetic letters) and that will illuminate if there is a pressure problem in the fuel system.

I'm with griff -- for a couple bucks try a new gas cap. I think I've replaced mine twice so they do wear out. Also be sure the fill pipe isn't rusty because that will affect the cap seal.

Now here's a question: Not often, but a couple times I've neglected to replace my gas cap after filling up. I'll be zipping down the highway at 50mph and hear something bumping around, look in the mirror, and there's my gas cap dangling by its little string. WHY NO GAS CAP WARNING? Talk about a bad seal! Why do I have to wait to hear it, or have someone beside me at a light pointing back there? Yet the warning will illuminate for what amounts to a microscopic failure.

post #4 of 27 (permalink) Old 02-20-2017, 10:58 PM Thread Starter

The car has nearly 87,000 miles on it and I think its the original cap so I'll try another one to see if that solves the problem.
post #5 of 27 (permalink) Old 02-21-2017, 03:30 PM

Make sure there isn't any rust/corrosion around the inside of the filler neck where the o-ring on the cap seals, it can acerbate the issue.

I had repeat CEL's from a poorly sealing cap 2 weeks ago. Inspection of the sealing areas revealed some rust so I cleaned the o-ring and filler-neck, applied a light layer of vaseline to both and it hasn't come back since.

FDII LTD.
post #6 of 27 (permalink) Old 02-21-2017, 04:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarkus View Post
The car has nearly 87,000 miles on it and I think its the original cap so I'll try another one to see if that solves the problem.
My '08 had over 135,000 miles over 8 years, never had this error--all on the original gas cap. I guess anything goes...

Jack Allwardt, Bonney Lake (Tehaleh area), WA; "recovering Californian"; (REPEAT Patriot Owner...'08 Limited and a '16 High Altitude), Retired engineer, US Army veteran, Member: American Legion, Veterans of Foreign Wars, Central Valley Vietnam Veterans, Enumclaw (WA) Lions Club. Former vintage military jeep owner, instrument rated commercial pilot, ag pilot, vintage aircraft restorer and test pilot.
post #7 of 27 (permalink) Old 02-21-2017, 04:46 PM Thread Starter

Well I replaced the cap and am still getting the message. I don't see any indication of rust or anything else on the top of the fill tube.

I'm still not clear on whether the error is just not cleared or if it should disappear if the seal is good. I talked to a mechanical friend of mine who seems to think its a code that has to clear.
post #8 of 27 (permalink) Old 02-21-2017, 06:28 PM
Use the SEARCH feature

You probably do have to clear the code.
If you cant clear the codes with a reader, disconnect the battery and let the vehicle sit for a while.

Truckin' the bread all over your @$$!
post #9 of 27 (permalink) Old 02-21-2017, 07:35 PM

Garage
I think the gas cap code should clear after the next successful start (from cold). Most codes (check engine light) will go away after 3 successful cycles without the system re-detecting the problem. So at worst give it a couple days. If you're still getting it by the weekend, I'd say the problem hasn't been corrected. Or there's always the 'bad sensor' diagnosis.
post #10 of 27 (permalink) Old 02-22-2017, 03:54 PM

The warning cleared today, but not until the second start. So that's about five from when I put the new cap on yesterday. Or, it could be that it just happened to finally clear from the original incident almost a week ago. I do know that on my previous car it would take a week for things to clear on their own.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
post #11 of 27 (permalink) Old 02-22-2017, 05:30 PM

Garage
Success is success, regardless of how long it takes. Hope this is the worst problem you have!
post #12 of 27 (permalink) Old 03-01-2017, 07:49 AM

I have a 2009 Patriot and recently had the same issue - every time I started the car, I got the "9ASCAP" message on odometer. However, I never got a Check engine light and no codes were stored. I found this strange since I had installed a new gas cap about 6 months ago when chasing another issue. I took the O ring off the gas cap & lubed with silicone grease and polished the filler neck with fine sandpaper. All looked good, but still got the GASCAP message. Based on a search on this forum, I found other folks had found the ESIM leak detection switch that is located on the charcoal vapor canister had been the problem. I removed this - it is the small white plastic unit attached to the front of the vapor canister, and simply untwists after you have unhooked the electrical connection and 2 hose connections. Once off, it was obvious that the cylinder that moves back and forth to seal against pressure and vacuum was "sticky" and not moving back and forth completely freely. Went to stealership and got a new one for $56. Installed and no more GASCAP warning.
Soooo.... if you are having mysterious gascap warning light and no obvious issues with gascap, I suggest you check out your ESIM leak detector switch - takes about 5 minutes to change out.
Ignatz and RodMyers like this.
post #13 of 27 (permalink) Old 03-13-2017, 08:38 PM Thread Starter

So, update time.

No issues until about 10 days ago when the Gascap light came on again, then disappeared after two more starts. Today my MIL came on (solid, not flashing) but the Gascap light is not on. I'm guessing its somehow related.

One thing I'm wondering about is if the concentration of Heet is too high in the gas tank. We've had a particularly cold winter and I've used it more in the last few months than in the past. As I usually refill the tank when it drops to about 1/4, in theory there could be a higher than normal concentration of the stuff, maybe? It was down to 1/4 tank today when the MIL fired up. I filled it up on the way out for a 150 mile round trip I had to make. All indications are that the engine ran fine and efficiently (I used about 1/4 tank for the trip). It is warming up here as well.

I'm going to have the code checked to see what it is tomorrow.
post #14 of 27 (permalink) Old 03-14-2017, 11:19 AM

Garage
Help me out there. Whats the MIL? Mother in Law? What's she got to do with it?

Now then, about Heet. Is that isopropyl formula? Cheap brands of drygas may affect other parts of the fuel system like seals etc, leading to leaks.
post #15 of 27 (permalink) Old 03-14-2017, 12:26 PM

MIL (Malfunction Indicator Light) is what the owners manual calls the engine shaped light to the left of the odometer on the Patriot dash. It's the same thing as what is usually referred to as the check engine light. The manual indicates it fires off if a code related to fuel or emissions systems is generated but that unless it's flashing no immediate action is required.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jeep Patriot Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode