Jeep Patriot Forums banner

MPG on CVT FDII Magically Increased...

1K views 6 replies 5 participants last post by  PatsPat 
#1 ·
Ever since buying my 2015 Patriot FDII, I noticed that the gas mileage (mpg) was not as advertised. I never complained to the dealer and I just figured I was driving it like I stole it (but really, I wasn't). I took it to the dealer a few weeks ago and part of the maintenance the did was update a bunch of software on it. Now, I'm getting 19.5 combined MPG... I was getting ~17 mpg previously.

What are your avg mpg for your fDII Patriots?

#3 ·
I averaged about 21ish, after lift and MUCH larger and heavier tires than stock. did more highway driving, and not as much stop and go, but was a bit aggressive. I could squeak it up to 23 if I was super careful.

It all depends on your type of driving, tires, gas type, etc. but how you drive really makes a difference. like the CVT does not like to have the gas pedal mashed, drive more like there is a Twinkie between your foot and the gas pedal you're trying to not squish, and you'll actually get better performance. or if you've ridden a motorcycle, you "roll on" the gas, same mentality with the cvt, if you "roll it on" vs just mashing, better performance and better economy.

#4 ·
like the CVT does not like to have the gas pedal mashed, drive more like there is a Twinkie between your foot and the gas pedal you're trying to not squish, and you'll actually get better performance. or if you've ridden a motorcycle, you "roll on", same mentality with the cvt, if you "roll it on" vs just mashing, better performance and better economy.
All true. One more thing, when you get up to speed, like from an on ramp, let off the gas a bit, and watch your RPMs drop, then ease back on the gas to maintain speed. RPMs will stay down where they dropped to.

I think performance is great for a 4cyl, as compared to my 03 4 cyl Chevy Tracker anyway. And seems better than my 08 FDII too, maybe computer upgrades?

#6 ·
Exactly! My 08 Compass is like this. Just let up slightly when you hit the speed you want going up a hill and the RPMs drop way down, then give it a little gas to maintain the speed. Most of my driving is in the 2K-2.5K range. I rarely go over 3K and only hit that when going up steep hills.

#7 ·
My last few fuel-ups I've been hitting 22 mpg combined. I'm guessing it has something to do with the weather and the fact that the A/C is turned off. I bought mine in the summer and have pretty much always got 20-21 combined.

I've only had one all highway trip in it so far and the mpgs were not good (19 or 20), but the jeep was pretty much loaded to the gills with three grown men inside.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.