3Likes
  • 1 Post By jack.allwardt
  • 1 Post By That phucker
  • 1 Post By CdnPatriotFan

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-10-2017, 02:38 PM Thread Starter

Frozen Windshield Fluid Help

Hello Everyone,

So I currently purchased a 2015 Jeep Patriot and I believe the dealer put windshield wiper fluid that isn't compatible with the cold.

This week, the D.C area has gotten a cold front with some snow.

The fluid appears to be frozen and isn't flowing through the hoses.

Any recommendations to defreeze and empty out the wiper fluid?

Thanks in advance!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-10-2017, 02:52 PM

Hit up Walmart, Walgreens, etc and get a bottle of Isopropyl Alcohol in the highest percentage you can. Dump it in and it'll defrost on its own.

2003 Jeep Wrangler X
1998 Jeep Cherokee Classic
2011 Dodge Durango Crew
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-10-2017, 03:09 PM

Garage
I'd love to add Isopropyl but its corrosive to my Benz aluminum windshield wiper lines.

Religion has convinced people that there’s an invisible man…living in the sky, who watches everything you do every minute of every day. And the invisible man has a list of ten specific things he doesn’t want you to do. And if you do any of these things, he will send you to a special place, of burning and fire and smoke and torture and anguish for you to live forever, and suffer and burn and scream until the end of time. But he loves you. He loves you and he needs money.

~George Carlin

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-10-2017, 06:46 PM

Garage
Mine has been frozen the last couple days too. Most likely your fluid has lost its potency over time.

Step 1: Thaw it out, as in park it in the sun (even at 0 F. the sun will probably do the job) or get it into a garage. My unheated garage warms up into the 20s with a couple warm vehicles parked inside. Unless you're running straight water in your w/s/w, getting even close to 32F should get things thawed.

Step 2: I'm with festerw above. However, alcohol will keep things from freezing, but won't thaw anything until it gets into the lines.

I can't imagine its going to corrode your lines. W/s/w fluid has alcohol in it normally. I'd be more concerned about it affecting the paint. Fortunately alcohol evaporates quickly.
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-10-2017, 07:07 PM

Women's hair dryer on the tank and lines will do the job quickly.
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-10-2017, 08:48 PM

Mine was frozen this morning. If you're driving, the heat from the engine will unfreeze the little hoses (and the nozzles) if not right away then after you stop.
I'm guilty of being lazy and just adding water in the summertime, usually I add a cheap version of window cleaner with the water.

Mine started working within 20 minutes after I started the car today.

post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-10-2017, 09:01 PM

Garage
Funny thing. Mine froze up on Sunday. I first noticed the rear w/s/w wasn't working, then discovered the front wasn't either. After being parked in the sun while I was in church, I tried the rear again and the fronts dribbled a little spray, even though I was pressing the rear. Once it was thoroughly thawed it worked fine. I never put water in mine; usually the dealer tops it off when they do an oil change. Maybe they aren't using the best stuff?
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-11-2017, 12:18 AM

Garage
No my Benz uses aluminum lines hence the corrosion, my Jeep uses plastic lines.
I may dump a bottle of alcohol in the Jeep tho just for good measure

Religion has convinced people that there’s an invisible man…living in the sky, who watches everything you do every minute of every day. And the invisible man has a list of ten specific things he doesn’t want you to do. And if you do any of these things, he will send you to a special place, of burning and fire and smoke and torture and anguish for you to live forever, and suffer and burn and scream until the end of time. But he loves you. He loves you and he needs money.

~George Carlin
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-12-2017, 11:35 AM Thread Starter

Update guys:

We got nice 50 degrees weather yesterday and It worked fine this morning. Now I am just using my wiper fluid as much as possible to empty what the dealer put in and replace it with the good stuff.

Thanks for everyone's input.
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-12-2017, 11:49 AM

Also, Methyl hydrate works well, and is cheaper than Isopropyl alcohol.
It is the same ingredient used in the winter windshield washer fluid you buy in the stores, so it won't hurt the vehicle.
Vodka works in a pinch....

post #11 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-12-2017, 02:18 PM

When I lived in CA, they weren't allowed to sell windshield washer fluid with anti-freeze--it's the VOCs, you know. And how many middle-aged folks looked at what they had, exclaimed that their fluid protected to +32, and isn't that enough? Yeah, this engineer said, sure, just like tap water---Now, here in WA state, no problem getting -40 washer fluid! Which I will use year around!
RossoRacer likes this.

Jack Allwardt, Bonney Lake (Tehaleh area), WA; (REPEAT Patriot Owner...'08 Limited and a '16 High Altitude), Retired engineer, US Army veteran, Member: American Legion, Veterans of Foreign Wars, Central Valley Vietnam Veterans, Enumclaw (WA) Lions Club. Former vintage military jeep owner, instrument rated commercial pilot, ag pilot, vintage aircraft restorer and test pilot.
post #12 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-12-2017, 02:44 PM

This stuff is pretty popular here:
Reflex -49°C Windshield Washer Fluid, 3.78 L | Canadian Tire

Doesn't freeze till -56F. Any colder than that, we stay home anyway....
RossoRacer likes this.

post #13 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-12-2017, 02:57 PM

Yup That phucker that's the good stuff!
That phucker likes this.
post #14 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-12-2017, 10:00 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by jack.allwardt View Post
When I lived in CA, they weren't allowed to sell windshield washer fluid with anti-freeze--it's the VOCs, you know. And how many middle-aged folks looked at what they had, exclaimed that their fluid protected to +32, and isn't that enough? Yeah, this engineer said, sure, just like tap water---Now, here in WA state, no problem getting -40 washer fluid! Which I will use year around!
VOCs in w/s/w fluid? What if you live in the mountains? It must get cold in some places in California. Of was that just a city or county ordinance?
Then again my first car (1960 Ford) wasn't even equipped with a w/s/washer; and yes, it was a problem in winter driving. If I ran the wipers long enough I could usually rub most of the scum off. Either that or I'd get out and throw some snow on the windshield. Having a w/s/w is much handier.
post #15 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-13-2017, 02:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ignatz View Post
VOCs in w/s/w fluid? What if you live in the mountains? It must get cold in some places in California. Of was that just a city or county ordinance?
Then again my first car (1960 Ford) wasn't even equipped with a w/s/washer; and yes, it was a problem in winter driving. If I ran the wipers long enough I could usually rub most of the scum off. Either that or I'd get out and throw some snow on the windshield. Having a w/s/w is much handier.
Yes, if you live in one of the half-dozen mountain counties, then it is available for a few months a year. But, travel from the flat land to the mountains, then buy the good stuff, your old stuff has frozen...There was another solution, an additive that you could add to a quart of water and make an antifreeze solution--however, that stuff was about $10 for a quart treatment. Good ol' CA, another "nanny state" where the gov't feels (not knows...) it knows more than the average bear.....

Jack Allwardt, Bonney Lake (Tehaleh area), WA; (REPEAT Patriot Owner...'08 Limited and a '16 High Altitude), Retired engineer, US Army veteran, Member: American Legion, Veterans of Foreign Wars, Central Valley Vietnam Veterans, Enumclaw (WA) Lions Club. Former vintage military jeep owner, instrument rated commercial pilot, ag pilot, vintage aircraft restorer and test pilot.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jeep Patriot Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode