Does this spark plug look bad? - Jeep Patriot Forums
Engine and Drivetrain Engines, transfer cases, transmissions and axles

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-21-2016, 11:00 AM Thread Starter

Does this spark plug look bad?

I am changing my plugs again because of stuttering I'm my 2012 with cvt. Last time changing the plugs fixed the issue. When i pulled these they don't look bad to me but what does everyone else think?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-21-2016, 11:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shortyg83 View Post
I am changing my plugs again because of stuttering I'm my 2012 with cvt. Last time changing the plugs fixed the issue. When i pulled these they don't look bad to me but what does everyone else think?

If I'm going to remove spark plugs to look at them, I'm going to replace them cause they are pretty cheap.

I would replace them.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-21-2016, 12:50 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sdsjeep2008 View Post
If I'm going to remove spark plugs to look at them, I'm going to replace them cause they are pretty cheap.

I would replace them.

I did replace all 4 just because of how cheap and easy a job it is. I'm just curious if anyone thought the ones i removed looked bad

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-21-2016, 01:01 PM

Garage
What kind were they (and what did you replace them with) and how many miles?

Religion has convinced people that there’s an invisible man…living in the sky, who watches everything you do every minute of every day. And the invisible man has a list of ten specific things he doesn’t want you to do. And if you do any of these things, he will send you to a special place, of burning and fire and smoke and torture and anguish for you to live forever, and suffer and burn and scream until the end of time. But he loves you. He loves you and he needs money.

~George Carlin
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-21-2016, 01:08 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by croat View Post
What kind were they (and what did you replace them with) and how many miles?

They were ngk zfr5f-11 same as ones i replaced them with. 75k on the jeep but only 23k on those plugs

post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-21-2016, 01:14 PM

Garage
Nah, used but not bad. Did I bore you with my tire theory? Seems this is a different thread. Plugs are a cheap place to start solving a stutter problem. Ya gotta change them sooner or later; why not now?

For photos of bad spark plugs just use google images. Bad plugs will have the electrode burned away or the gap bridged by crud. There is a whole list of potential problems revealed by what an old plug looks like, but I don't think you have anything to worry about with those.

In the old days it was common to pull the plugs, clean and re-gap them, and then use them for a while longer.
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-21-2016, 01:53 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ignatz View Post
Nah, used but not bad. Did I bore you with my tire theory? Seems this is a different thread. Plugs are a cheap place to start solving a stutter problem. Ya gotta change them sooner or later; why not now?

For photos of bad spark plugs just use google images. Bad plugs will have the electrode burned away or the gap bridged by crud. There is a whole list of potential problems revealed by what an old plug looks like, but I don't think you have anything to worry about with those.

In the old days it was common to pull the plugs, clean and re-gap them, and then use them for a while longer.

The tire theory wasn't boring i just figured plus are cheap and easy. And seemed to have rectified they problem. I dove 70 miles today without issue. But only time will tell.

post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-21-2016, 09:05 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shortyg83 View Post
The tire theory wasn't boring i just figured plus are cheap and easy. And seemed to have rectified they problem. I dove 70 miles today without issue. But only time will tell.

That's the cheapest solution. Hope it works for you. Surprising the plugs were the problem with such low mileage on them. I think you said around 20,000?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jeep Patriot Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode