Anybody replaced their A/C clutch? - Jeep Patriot Forums
Engine and Drivetrain Engines, transfer cases, transmissions and axles

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-22-2016, 06:30 PM Thread Starter

Anybody replaced their A/C clutch?

I'm thinking mine is out. Anyone have some background on this job?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-25-2016, 11:29 AM

Buy a new compressor. Changing clutches is very difficult, even with all the proper tools

Sent from my Vortec-powered Droid Turbo using Tapatalk
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-25-2016, 11:30 AM

Turn your ac on and watch, you should be able to see the clutch cycle on and off

Sent from my Vortec-powered Droid Turbo using Tapatalk

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-28-2016, 09:46 PM

What tools are needed? I have a 08 looks like the standard clutch removal tool won't work because there's no threads to lock into.
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-28-2016, 09:53 PM

There's a picture of what I'm seeing. A 7mm socket fits it but has the dimple like a clutch removal tool should go there. No threads though...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMAG0097_1467165066056.jpg
Views:	155
Size:	30.1 KB
ID:	66682  
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-29-2016, 12:55 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrailBlazerZ71 View Post
Turn your ac on and watch, you should be able to see the clutch cycle on and off
Well... I don't think that's gonna happen...

The pulley still freewheels, which is good. I can turn the shaft about a quarter turn either direction with my fingers before it stops, but it feels like resistance more than a hard stop, so hopefully the pump is still okay.

I've never seen anything like this before.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrailBlazerZ71 View Post
Buy a new compressor. Changing clutches is very difficult, even with all the proper tools
Duly noted; I'd like to see if i can save the pump if possible, only because money is a big factor right now, but someone else pointed out that most likely, the pump seizing is what caused the hub to snap off in the first place, so I'm probably looking at a pump anyway.

Or maybe a trade-in... while my Patriot is still somewhat road-worthy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeedup View Post
There's a picture of what I'm seeing. A 7mm socket fits it but has the dimple like a clutch removal tool should go there. No threads though...
That hub looks aftermarket, based on what I've seen online, but the tiny spindle nut in the middle looks just like mine. I'm sure someone else with more experience will be able to verify that. Good luck with yours.
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-29-2016, 11:49 AM

It always helps to give the year and engine of your vehicle. In this case, it seems that the air conditioner style changed maybe with the 2009 model year. Jeedup's picture looks to be of the 2007-2008 style.

My 2014 factory service manual looks more similar nth256's picture and says that clutch removal is possible with the compressor on the engine, but you may need to loosen or remove the compressor mounting bolts for better access. You simple grab on to the pulley, remove the center bolt, and tap the pulley to gently work it off the shaft. Snap ring pliers are needed to disassemble the clutch assembly, a moot point in this instance.

2014 Sport, 2wd, 2.4L, 6 speed tranny, Winter Chill
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-29-2016, 12:26 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Treegrower View Post
It always helps to give the year and engine of your vehicle. In this case, it seems that the air conditioner style changed maybe with the 2009 model year. Jeedup's picture looks to be of the 2007-2008 style.

My 2014 factory service manual looks more similar nth256's picture and says that clutch removal is possible with the compressor on the engine, but you may need to loosen or remove the compressor mounting bolts for better access. You simple grab on to the pulley, remove the center bolt, and tap the pulley to gently work it off the shaft. Snap ring pliers are needed to disassemble the clutch assembly, a moot point in this instance.
Mine is a 2008 (which was listed in the old forum format, but seems too have been dropped from the little block of identity info.)
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-29-2016, 08:41 PM

Thanks for the info. I do have a 2008. I tried holding the pulley in place while trying to turn that bolt but I don't have enough ass in my arms. I'll try a banded oil filter next week.
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-30-2016, 10:48 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeedup View Post
Thanks for the info. I do have a 2008. I tried holding the pulley in place while trying to turn that bolt but I don't have enough ass in my arms. I'll try a banded oil filter next week.
Best bet is probably to spray that little bolt with some PB Blaster or, at the very least, WD-40. Soak it, let it sit an hour, soak it again, let it sit again, then give it another shot.
post #11 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-30-2016, 10:53 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Is your service manual in PDF format? Any chance I could take a peek?

All i was ever able to obtain for my '08 was the wonky CD version of the service manual, which i could never get to work.
post #12 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-30-2016, 06:10 PM Thread Starter

Found a PDF service manual for a 2007 Dodge Caliber (same AC compressor for both, so close enough!)

It doesn't use a magnetic clutch! In fact, the stupid "clutch" is meant to break away in case of seizure!

This doesn't look good, guys...

Last edited by nth256; 06-30-2016 at 06:17 PM.
post #13 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-30-2016, 10:17 PM

Nice find with the manual. A lot of good information. Autozone sells a replacement bearing for this compressor. Part number is mt2238. Bought one a couple of days ago, haven't installed yet though.
post #14 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-01-2016, 01:09 AM

nth256, excellent find. Your info above seems to be correct.

My apologies, because my 2014 manual has two air compressor versions, one having a removable/serviceable hub/pulley assembly that I commented above on. The version I referenced is ONLY available on the diesel engine, and it was not too difficult to follow the manual and end up in the wrong air compressor by mistake. Again, my apologies.

2014 Sport, 2wd, 2.4L, 6 speed tranny, Winter Chill
post #15 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-01-2016, 09:33 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
nth256, excellent find. Your info above seems to be correct.

My apologies, because my 2014 manual has two air compressor versions, one having a removable/serviceable hub/pulley assembly that I commented above on. The version I referenced is ONLY available on the diesel engine, and it was not too difficult to follow the manual and end up in the wrong air compressor by mistake. Again, my apologies.
No worries! It's all a learning experience.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jeep Patriot Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode