6 Things I Learned Driving the 2016 Jeep Wrangler - Jeep Patriot Forums
Other Jeeps Discuss other Jeep vehicles (Wrangler, Grand Cherokee,
Commander, Liberty and any discontinued platforms)

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 04-01-2016, 11:55 AM Thread Starter

6 Things I Learned Driving the 2016 Jeep Wrangler

Quote:
The Wrangler is Jeepís most recognized most and capable model.

This ready-for-anything vehicle can trace its lineage right back to the original military-grade Willys MA that debuted just in time for the Second World War. In fact, todayís model still features the same body proportions, is equipped with live axles at both ends, and has a spare tire mounted vertically at the rear, traits that go all the way back to 1941.

In case you have trouble with math (like I do), todayís Wrangler represents 75 years of heritage. Countless other automakers have come and gone in that time, but Jeep remains. Itís undoubtedly one of FCAís strongest brands, with more than 865,000 units delivered in 2015.

I recently evaluated the 2016 Wrangler Unlimited Sahara, a mid-range four-door model, and I learned a lot about it during my stint in the driverís seat. Accordingly, here are the six most important things I learned about Jeepís ever-popular Wrangler.

6. Go-Anywhere Confidence

With massive iron beams supporting it front and rear plus knobby tires, four-wheel drive and more ground clearance than the height of a 95th percentile toddler, this vehicle is designed to tackle the gnarliest off-road trails. It can go just about anywhere you want, every season of the year, and through any weather conditions. Capability is the name of the game here and the Wrangler excels where the pavement ends. Go ahead and get a little dirty, the Wrangler will laugh in your face and ask for more.

5. Chryslerís Pentastar V6 is an ENGINEering Masterpiece

Iím a big fan of Chryslerís 3.6-liter Pentastar V6. This punchy engine works just as well in a Dodge Charger as it does in one of Ramís pickups, itís brilliant in the 200 sedan and even a Caravan. Predictably, itís just as enticing when bolted under a Wranglerís boxy hood. In this application, it delivers 285 horsepower and 260 lb-ft of torque. Another benefit of the Pentastar is that itís one of the smoothest running bent-sixes on the market today.

4. The Five-Speed Automatic Transmission Is Awful

But for all of this engineís refinement and power, it was paired with an antiquated five-speed automatic transmission in the Wrangler I tested. This gearbox is like a Throwback Thursday to the old DaimlerChrysler days, and thatís not something to celebrate. For the most part, this transmission behaved itself, but on random occasions, you could catch it off guard and it would slam into gear on upshifts. The available six-speed manual would have been much nicer.

3. Itís Quieter Than You Might Expect

The Wrangler is impressively quiet underway. No, itís not the most silent vehicle on the market, but when you consider that it has the proportions of an apple crate and stands as tall as a pickup truck, the fact that it doesnít sound like a regional jet on takeoff leaves you scratching your head. Obviously, thereís no way to fool the slipstream; this rig will never compete with a Prius when it comes to aerodynamics, but engineers still did a damn fine job civilizing this ever-capable brute.
For the rest of this story, 6 Things I Learned Driving the 2016 Jeep Wrangler please visit AutoGuide.com.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 04-01-2016, 06:06 PM
Cherokar!

My friend bought a 2015 Unlimited sport, only option was AC, and it had the 6 speed manual. Its surprising how "refined" the newest wranglers are. His is comfy relatively decent on gas and well goes offroad very well.

2016 Cherokee Trailhawk V6
3.2L V6
Interior LED Conversion
LED Signal Lights
AFE Intake
245/70/17 Falken Wildpeak AT3/W
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 04-01-2016, 06:21 PM

Great review! I only have 2 people to haul around, so if I hate the next Compass/Patriot I am going to buy a 2 door Wrangler Sport. It's about same price as a loaded out Compass/Patriot/Cherokee.

Yeah that Pentastar is a great engine. It's even the base engine in the Challenger/Charger.

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 04-01-2016, 08:52 PM

Why save it? I want every poseur to buy one, pay for all the depreciation, so I can buy a cream puff cheap and bash it up off road!

Sent from my LG-K330 using Tapatalk

2012 FDII Patriot - Sold
1989 Cherokee Pioneer - 3.5" MC lift
http://aicproductionblog.com/support-this-page/
http://www.youtube.com/c/aicoffroadvideo
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jeep Patriot Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode